WnSoft Forums

Trouble with members shows

mikej998

I've been browsing through the uploaded user created slideshows and have had some troubles. I can get most of them to work but a few, like "Fields of Fire" for example loads downloads fine, but when I run it it shows the first screen and will not do anything else. I have let it run for more than 10 minutes just to see but it just sits on the first screen. There are a couple other shows that do the same thing. I've tried other computers with the same results. Does anyone have any suggestions, or have had same problem?

Thanks,

Mike

I can't address your specifics, but you may want to try running the shows after a fresh re-boot. Also, re-download if necessary. Usually such problems are a configuration problem on the viewing machine. Some time ago, Ernst tried for days to run my Rain, Snow, Gold while it worked fine for everyone else (as far as I know.) Ermst's dilligent trouble shooting eventually got it going on his machines. I think it is also possible sometimes for programs that load at bootup and run in background, in certain combinations, prohibit a particular show from running at that moment.

You are not alone. Over time, I've had several problems running programs that others are running and discussing. I am sure that it is a consequence of some local setting in my computer but even with a brand new machine, running with large memory and high speeds, some of the programs stall or don't load. Who knows why? I doubt anyone can sort out all the weird details to find the answer. I'm still trying to find a pattern of programs that fail to work based on the author of the program. Maybe their machine configuration and the PTE compilation create an exe that results in failure to run at my end. Like I say, who knows?

Hello

I have also such a problem

yesterday with the newest show Carousel French.zip

(same story with the English version)and have had this problem before with some other shows.

When i try to unzip have always an Bad CRC error as result

Have restart pc and download again the zip file with same result

at the same time download also the Idatarod and some other of the latest shows without any problem

Some shows will not unzip and not run here on my 3 computers so the problem should be find somewhere else i believe.

i downloaded the shows via beechbrook Cottage

anyone with a explanation for this problem?

BTW good weekend to everyone

I've tried to re-download the show and always end up with the same result, at least with the "Fields of Fire"

I'm not sure what it may be, but it does it on 3 different computers all of which run windows (2 are XP and 1 is 2000)

I've been able to get other shows to run over time but that one I can not make work.

WINXP HOME/1.3HZ/256 RAM/WinZip 6.3 - dirty install over win98se

no problems opening and running any shows that have been posted

Last year when we had our virus scare I and others downloaded everything that was on the Cottage site -- I tested each for viruses as well their operation -- NOTE there were shows at the time that were not zipped -- the Cottage upload rules have since changed --all files must be zipped

If my memory serves me right I have only had a problem with 1 or 2 shows since Bill provided his Cottage site late 2001

Ken

For Michel,

i use the latest version of winzip

Its a strange thing with a few shows there are problems with others not

if it was a configuration problem or one of the other problems you suggested the problem will be always there.

I work with windows xp (cleanl install) on my tree pc's, have never had faulty messages when unzip files.

The problem should maybe be found on one of the servers

have just try to download the show carousel.zip again with the same result BAD CRC

as a test download an other show from page 3 an it run fine.

Mikej998 & Fujiboy -

If you would like, I can email you the shows as I have DL'd them from Beechbrook. That would eliminate the possible trouble between you and Beechbrook server. If your email system will accept it, I could mail it as the .exe file instead of the.zip file. The other concern is whether your ISP will accept email attachments of that size.

Please let me know if you want me to do this.

Hello Lumenlux,

Ok would be nice if you email me your show

maybe as test you could email me the zip file and the exe file.

i don't believe that the problems are with the beechbrook server since almost other shows are ok after dowload.

Michel: i wil try it with winrar

Leif: no have not doing that but other shows dowloaded at the same time have not that problem, we have to search this problem someware else.

I encountered such problems several times, when I downloaded zipped files (not only from Beechbrook). These files, especially when are very large, are rather critical, and a "bad CRC" is a well known issue.

Hello Guido,

Have you found a reason way large files produce a bad CRC?

Have zipped much larger files than even seen in PTE without problems.

Could the mp3 files produce such errors when zipped, after all they are in fact already zipped even so the jpeg's and way it happen not all the time?

No, Michel, both Mp3 and Jpeg are not only "compressed" but coded in a a compressed way. Winzip works in a different manner. I guess something comes during the compression/expansion made by http protocol.