WnSoft Forums

Multiple pictures (Beta)

e.b.west

I think I've got this figured out when I want to pan/zoom one picture. When I try to include a second picture going across the screen I can't seem to get it to start at a smaller size. In other words, after setting the first (background) picture, I go to the "Add Picture" button and it has me navigate to the folder were picture #2 is. The problem I have is that the picture comes in full size and the only way I can use the handles to reduce it is by adding a keypoint. That seems to lock it in at that size and when I reduce the size to what I want and hit play to see how it looks both pictures come up at their original size and then #2 zooms back to the small size before panning across the page. How do I get #2 to start at the smaller size?

I hope I explained that OK, I'm more than a little confused.

No, you don't need to do that - you're missing a very easy step which will solve your problem.

Up on the top of your screen in the Objects and Animation page is a small window which is defaulted to 100%. Next to this is a small black down arrow in a small blue box. Click on the down arrow and change the view to 10% or some lower value which will allow you to see the entire screen.

Now you will see the rectangle with handles and can use it to size the images as you wish to either fill the screen or become a "postage stamp."

Lin

Maybe E.B. is trying to do something like what I'm trying to do, but I can't figure out how to do this... or maybe this is not possibe with the current beta?

My main (background) slide is a solid, black jpg, 1920x1080. It just stays there, with no pan, zoom or rotate, which is what I want. 1920x1080 is also the size I want my show to be. I want to add an image to that first slide as an object at level 2. I want this second image to begin (1st keypoint) at a very small size on the screen - say 15% of the 1920x1080 show, and end (last keypoint) at a larger size - say 80% of the 1920x1080 show. But - and here's the part I just can't get to work and I think I've tried all combinations of options - I also want that first keypoint of this 2nd image to show about 15% of that original image's size, and the last keypoint to show 100% of that original image's size. In other words, I'd like a kind of "zoom-within-zoom" effect, in which, as the size of the 2nd image gets larger relative to my monitor's size, I'm also zooming in on the details of that 2nd image.

Has anyone been able to do this, or am I just expecting too much of PTE 5?

My main (background) slide is a solid, black jpg, 1920x1080. It just stays there, with no pan, zoom or rotate, which is what I want. 1920x1080 is also the size I want my show to be. I want to add an image to that first slide as an object at level 2. I want this second image to begin (1st keypoint) at a very small size on the screen - say 15% of the 1920x1080 show, and end (last keypoint) at a larger size - say 80% of the 1920x1080 show. But - and here's the part I just can't get to work and I think I've tried all combinations of options - I also want that first keypoint of this 2nd image to show about 15% of that original image's size, and the last keypoint to show 100% of that original image's size. In other words, I'd like a kind of "zoom-within-zoom" effect, in which, as the size of the 2nd image gets larger relative to my monitor's size, I'm also zooming in on the details of that 2nd image.

Could you use a black mask with a transparent rectangle "cut out of it" in photoshop and saved as a "png" file? Then as you zoom in on the image "under it", you also enlarge the size of the "mask" until it displays 80% of the image.

Maybe E.B. is trying to do something like what I'm trying to do, but I can't figure out how to do this... or maybe this is not possibe with the current beta?

Has anyone been able to do this, or am I just expecting too much of PTE 5?

Same solution. You have complete control over both your images. Just start by putting your first image (the black background) in then insert the second image. Now go to the block which says 100% (top of your screen in the Objects and Animation screen just to the right of copy and paste) and change the value to 10% so you can actually see what's going on. Click on the second object in the list then grab the green rectangle by one of the handles (the up and down ones may be easier) and push the image into the size you want it to begin. Next put in a keypoint for this object near the end of the time frame for this show and drag it to the approximate 80% level. Now preview your slide. The black background will not change, the 2nd object you inserted will begin at about 15% of the full size and slowly zoom (depending on how long you have the slide set to display) to about 80% at the end of the timeline. If you want it to zoom in other than a linear fashion you can set additional keypoint "between" the first and last and set them to intermediate sizes. Then move these keypoints closer together or further apart to change the time for these effects.

Now for the second part of your project. Make the subject which you are zooming in on on a transparent background (png file) add the second image the third time as a transparent png and position it so that the subject covers the identical subject in the second image but set the zoom to a higher percentage.

The net effect is that your second image zooms normally from about 15% to 80% but the main subject which you want to zoom in on is being zoomed at a different rate on the transparent png duplicate so that you achieve the zoom within a zoom.

Lin

Lin

Now for the second part of your project. Make the subject which you are zooming in on on a transparent background (png file) add the second image the third time as a transparent png and position it so that the subject covers the identical subject in the second image but set the zoom to a higher percentage.

Lin,

Could you explain this part in a bit more detail as I have no idea how to do this!

Thanks

I tried out the mask technique last night, and it works like a charm! :) Very easy to implement, too, and you can use it to cover any jpeg - your image doesn't have to be a "png" file.

It also opens the door to other applications - for example, using a circular mask, you can move it back and forth across an image and achieve the "spotlight" effect commonly seen in "flash" animations.

I tried out the mask technique last night, and it works like a charm! :) Very easy to implement, too, and you can use it to cover any jpeg - your image doesn't have to be a "png" file.

It also opens the door to other applications - for example, using a circular mask, you can move it back and forth across an image and achieve the "spotlight" effect commonly seen in "flash" animations.

Al, could you post your solution (sources) so I can compare with Lin's?

Thanks!

Al, could you post your solution (sources) so I can compare with Lin's?

Thanks!

No problem! See HERE . This is the 1280x768 rectangular version only. I'll try to add a circular mask later.

Granot, I posted my source files too. :)

Lin, that's a good looking moon!

Here's the above demo with the circular mask added:

http://www.alrobinson.com/mask-demo1_May14-2006_14-25-35.zip

(Note: I have modified this demo to properly reflect the wide-screen format).

Al,

Both demos look great!!! Just one question... how do you make those masks?

Al,

Both demos look great!!! Just one question... how do you make those masks?

In Photoshop, select "File / New", making sure that the background is transparent and that the size is correct (at least as large as the screen size will be, and 2 or 3 times as large in the case of the circular mask).

Drop in the shape you want (if rectangle, just "draw" a selection the correct position and size, select "inverse", and fill the inverse area with black. Then save as a "png" file.

For a circle, select the ellipse tool and draw a circle on the same type of transparent background as before. This will create a mask layer with a black circle on a transparent background. "Rasterize" this layer, and use the "magic wand" to select the area within the circle. Then use the "magic eraser" to erase the dark circle. Select "Inverse" in the "Select" menu, and use the "paint bucket" to fill the area around the circle with black. Save as a "png" file.

Someone more adept with Photoshop than I may be able to cut some corners off this method, but it seems to work for me. :)

No problem! See HERE . This is the 1280x768 rectangular version only. I'll try to add a circular mask later.

Granot, I posted my source files too. :)

Lin, that's a good looking moon!

Here's the above demo with the circular mask added:

http://www.alrobinson.com/mask-demo1_May14-2006_14-25-35.zip

(Note: I have modified this demo to properly reflect the wide-screen format).

Hi Ken,

I like your method better for his application. The old moon was too sharp for the small zoom so I made some changes. I added a little gaussian blur to the first image so there was less flickering on the small image zoom, then left the transparent background alone with full resolution.

That image was shot with my Canon D30 through my Meade ETX-90 as I remember. It makes a nice sharp large image, but for the small zoom it needed to be toned down a bit.

Best regards,

Lin

Click on the second object in the list then grab the green rectangle by one of the handles (the up and down ones may be easier) and push the image into the size you want it to begin. Next put in a keypoint for this object near the end of the time frame for this show and drag it to the approximate 80% level. Now preview your slide.

Lin

Lin

Here's where I seem to have the problem. When I add the second image, I can't adjust the image with the handles until after I set a keypoint, when I set the keypoint and then adjust the image it always starts it's pan/zoom at the size it was when I added it.

Lin,

"old moon was too sharp for the small zoom so I made some changes."

We plan to add special option - "Use MIP mapping" for such objects with small zoom it will improve visual quality.

Hi Igor,

That will be great. I have noticed that for really small images which are very sharp I've needed to tone them down with gaussian blur to prevent the 'sparkle'. MIP mapping will be an excellent aid.

Best regards,

Lin

Here's where I seem to have the problem. When I add the second image, I can't adjust the image with the handles until after I set a keypoint, when I set the keypoint and then adjust the image it always starts it's pan/zoom at the size it was when I added it.

Could you relate exactly how (keystrokes) and on which page you add the second image? Are you adding the second image by right clicking inside the green rectangle with handles or outside - in other words on the list of objects to the right of your screen does your second image have a "child" relation to the first where it appears offset underneath object one or does is appear on the same vertical spacing as object one?

When you add the second image is the zero time keypoint highlighted (activated)? What is the number in the "zoom" box? Left click the mouse (select) the second word (image) then change the number from 100% to 50%. The image size should change accordingly. Change it to 200% and see what happens.

Please take some screen captures and post them so we can see exactly the steps you are taking.

Best regards,

Lin

Could you relate exactly how (keystrokes) and on which page you add the second image? Are you adding the second image by right clicking inside the green rectangle with handles or outside - in other words on the list of objects to the right of your screen does your second image have a "child" relation to the first where it appears offset underneath object one or does is appear on the same vertical spacing as object one?

When you add the second image is the zero time keypoint highlighted (activated)? What is the number in the "zoom" box? Left click the mouse (select) the second word (image) then change the number from 100% to 50%. The image size should change accordingly. Change it to 200% and see what happens.

Please take some screen captures and post them so we can see exactly the steps you are taking.

Best regards,

Lin

Boy, what a load of homework :D . I'll be away from the computer for a while. I'll get right on it when I get back. Thanks Lin.

In Photoshop, select "File / New", making sure that the background is transparent and that the size is correct (at least as large as the screen size will be, and 2 or 3 times as large in the case of the circular mask).

Drop in the shape you want (if rectangle, just "draw" a selection the correct position and size, select "inverse", and fill the inverse area with black. Then save as a "png" file.

For a circle, select the ellipse tool and draw a circle on the same type of transparent background as before. This will create a mask layer with a black circle on a transparent background. "Rasterize" this layer, and use the "magic wand" to select the area within the circle. Then use the "magic eraser" to erase the dark circle. Select "Inverse" in the "Select" menu, and use the "paint bucket" to fill the area around the circle with black. Save as a "png" file.

Someone more adept with Photoshop than I may be able to cut some corners off this method, but it seems to work for me. :)

Hi Al,

That's a very nice technique, here's a sample which I think uses your process...

http://www.lin-evans.net/p2e/eaglezoom.zip

Best regards,

Lin

Lin,

Very nice. Along with all the capabilities Igor has built into the program, the use of masking has some neat possibilities. :)

Indeed it does - it opens lots of new doors as does the natural masking ability of different layers. The combination allows for creating 3 dimensional effects which can be pretty impressive when used with some aesthetic taste. Unfortunately, we will probably all go through a period of having fun playing with the "effects" before we settle down and learn how to best apply them to enhance the beauty of a show rather than display the capabilities of the program. But the learning is sure fun, isnt it?? :-)

Lin

Hey Lin, I think I got it! After re-reading things I see that I had my Keypoints confused, both between the images and where they were supposed to be. Thanks for your help, I'm sure I'll be back for more :blink: