WnSoft Forums

Puzzle Tutorial for anyone interested...

Lin Evans

I thought there was enough interest to make a tutorial and step-by-step on how to do this including using the PanosFX action. I kept it simple with only four pieces, but I think anyone can extrapolate and get the same results with 20 pieces or so.

Here's the link to the tutorial

http://www.lin-evans.net/p2e/puzzletutorial.pdf

Here's the link to the zipped file containing all the components so you can play with them:

http://www.lin-evans.net/p2e/puzzletutorial.zip

Best regards,

Lin

Note: link corrected above and a bug discovered in the "complete edit" feature of the forum. You can't "edit" a link, you must delete it and re-type the entire link. If it is edited, the error will first appear to have been corrected in your edit view, but the edit will not be saved and the error will remain.

Lin,

I noticed that you left 3 useless keypoints for your main image :

- 0:00:000

- 0:00:012

- 0:07:116

Might be confusing for people...

Anyway, thank you for sharing an other very interesting project.

Hi Dom,

I've discovered a "bug" in the "invision" software. I actually corrected the link three different times and tested it each time, but the changes didn't "stick" - LOL. Apparently you can't "correct" a link with Invision's complete edit, you must "delete" the link and start over. Each time I changed the link the typo returned. Interesting.....

Actually, only one of these keypoints is not necessary. The first keypoint which "should" have remaned at zero on the timeline was necessary and automated when placing the main image in the slide list. If I deleted it, or moved it this might be even more confusing - LOL. The last keypoint has to be there to make the main image visible and the next to last is there per the tutorial as a "placeholder" to prevent the image from gradually going from zero opacity to 100% opacity throughout the full period of animations.

It's true that one "could" delete or move the original zero keypoint to the timeline point where the main image should start to become visible leaving the opacity at zero, then place the ending keypoint for the main image a few seconds later to effect the fade in to effectively replace the puzzle with the solid image. But doing it this way would be confusing because in the tutorial I refer to the black space at the top and bottom of the screen when originally adding the background image. Also I suggest that the reader set the opacity to zero for this background object so it doesn't obscure the puzzle pieces as they are brought in one at a time.

Moving this beginning keypoint to another position such as at the 13 or 14 second point set to zero opacity followed by a 100% opacity would be from a programmer's perspective more elegant because it would require one less keypoint, but from the instructional and learning perspective less effective I think.

Best regards,

Lin

Lin,

May be I'm wrong but I think we don't speak about the same keypoints. :unsure:

See what I mean on the image included in this post.

- 0:00:000 : ok I understand why you left it. And you're right, it will be clearer for somebody new with the business of PTE. ;)

Note : this keypoint is under the next one and you can't see it.

- 0:00:012 : Pan/zoom/opacity/center : exactly same values as previous keypoint except rotate = 2100 (?). Uselfull ?

- 0:07:116 : Pan/zoom/opacity/center/rotate (=2100) : same values as previous keypoint .

Usefull ?

post-2148-1149344301_thumb.jpg

Lin,

May be I'm wrong but I think we don't speak about the same keypoints. :unsure:

See what I mean on the image included in this post.

- 0:00:000 : ok I understand why you left it. And you're right, it will be clearer for somebody new with the business of PTE. ;)

Note : this keypoint is under the next one and you can't see it.

- 0:00:012 : Pan/zoom/opacity/center : exactly same values as previous keypoint except rotate = 2100 (?). Uselfull ?

- 0:07:116 : Pan/zoom/opacity/center/rotate (=2100) : same values as previous keypoint .

Usefull ?

Hi Dom,

LOL - you're absolutely right! It was hidden so well I didn't find it when I first looked. I suspect I must have accidentally clicked on "clone" keypoint at some time. I've removed it and uploaded the zip file again so now there "should" be three keypoints, one at zero then two more near the end of the timeline. The second to placehold the zero for opacity and the last to reveal the background as a replacement for the puzzle view.

Good catch!!

Lin

• 2 months later...

I have divided an image into 4 rectangles which when put together make up the whole image. (1) How do you get the 4 part images into the Object box without being children of the first? (2) I can get the start image to have a duration of 15 secs, which seems to have to be altered to 17 later in your Tutorial, but its position is 00.36.000 on my PTE v5.5 and altering the Time Range to 00000 has no effect. How do I start PTE at 0 secs? (3) So I have 4 images in, but in trying to resize the first the whole green box moves, how do you get it around just the first image to try and play with it? (4) Assuming you can help me get a start at 0 sec, I can see that the life of the first image should be 5 secs, but what on earth does the 2.5 sec keypoint achieve? Indeed where is the keypoint block I'm supposed to alter?

Obviously I'm dense so I need loads more detail than you have given and explanation in the Tutorial. Indeed it would be nice to get an image to move so as to start getting bored to death! Cheers, Derek

I have divided an image into 4 rectangles which when put together make up the whole image. (1) How do you get the 4 part images into the Object box without being children of the first? (2) I can get the start image to have a duration of 15 secs, which seems to have to be altered to 17 later in your Tutorial, but its position is 00.36.000 on my PTE v5.5 and altering the Time Range to 00000 has no effect. How do I start PTE at 0 secs? (3) So I have 4 images in, but in trying to resize the first the whole green box moves, how do you get it around just the first image to try and play with it? (4) Assuming you can help me get a start at 0 sec, I can see that the life of the first image should be 5 secs, but what on earth does the 2.5 sec keypoint achieve? Indeed where is the keypoint block I'm supposed to alter?

Obviously I'm dense so I need loads more detail than you have given and explanation in the Tutorial. Indeed it would be nice to get an image to move so as to start getting bored to death! Cheers, Derek

Hi Derek,

Let's start with getting the four pieces into the object box without them having a parent/child relationship. The easiest way to do this is visually. Put in the first object as you have been doing. First go to the Objects and Animation screen an look up at the top bar of tools. Do you see the Copy and Paste tools? Immediately to the right of Paste there is a zoom box which changes the view from Auto to some percentage. Select a very small percentage such as 10% and you will see your object bounded by a green rectangle. Put the mouse cursor far away from the green rectangle on the Grey portion of your screen and right click the mouse. Choose "Add" then "Image" and choose your second object. Repeat this process for the third and fourth pieces of the puzzle. This process puts all four pieces of your puzzle in separate layers and all in the same object list. For the puzzle you don't need the pieces to be separate images in the slide list, just the first piece becomes slide one and the other three are on separate layers.

When you click within the green rectangle the program will assign a "child" relationship just as it does when you click on an object in the object list and right click and add that object from that position. When you click on the grey area far away from any bounding rectangle, you will be able to add objects without having any parent/child relationship. You will know this because the objects will appear under one another in the objects list in a straight line rather than having an "inset" as if a tab key had been used on a second line of text in a word processor.

Once you have all four objects added, you can begin to manipulate them.

Each object will automatically have a keypoint at the start of zero assigned. To be able to manipulate each object you will want to highlight the object in the Objects and Animation screen in the objects list then click on the Properties tab (next to the Animation tab) and put a check next to "Transparent to Selection" by clicking in the square next to that choice. Doing this reveals the green square you see when you click on an image which belongs to that image.

To set things to some reasonable time such as 15 seconds click on an object then click on "Customize Slide" and change the time from the default of 4 seconds to 15 seconds (or whatever duration you want for the puzzle. Do this for each piece so they all have a 15 second duration.

Next you may want to size the pieces. So click on an object in the object box then drag the rectangle by the corner to make the object larger or smaller. All this applies ONLY to the zero or start keypoint.

Since the objects lie on top of each other, you may want to temporarily place a zero in the opacity block for three of them. You can reveal them or hide them or make them semi-transparent by using the opacity numbers from zero to 100%. Once you have them all sized as you would like you can begin to manipulate their actions.

Go to the far right on the timeline. Notice that the timeline is two blue long horizontal bars bounded by white on either end. The white signifies the start and end with the white on the left being at zero time and the white on the right being at 15 seconds for this individual example. Place the mouse cursor at about the 15 second point on the "BOTTOM BLUE BAR" and right click then choose ADD KEYPOINT HERE. You have approximated 15 seconds so if you want that keypoint to be precisely 15 seconds change the number in the keypoint box accordingly. Do this for each piece.

Now remember you have some position for the start of a piece and you now want a position for the ending. Your start position may be completely outside the black square representing the computer monitor or it may be wherever as well as the size.

This is very important - ALL ANIMATION TAKES PLACE BETWEEN KEYPOINTS -. So you MUST click on the end keypoint then move a puzzle piece or resize it or change the rotation, etc. That puzzle piece will take the corresponding actions over the 15 second period. Were you to insert additional keypoints, you must click on the keypoint to make it active (it turns blue) and any change you make in the position, rotation, size, etc., for that object at that keypoint will be reflected in time from the position, rotation, size, etc., held at the previous keypoint.

Remember you must actuate a keypoint by clicking on it then make a change in the movement, size, rotation, etc., for that object. You must then click on a different object and do likewise to make it animate.

Align your four pieces at the final (15 second) keypoint as you wish the puzzle to appear when assembled.

Best regards,

Lin

Very clear explanations, Drury you should have no more problem to succeed.

Hi Derek, Let's start with getting the four pieces into the object box without them having a parent/child relationship. The easiest way to do this is visually. Put in the first object as you have been doing. First go to the Objects and Animation screen an look up at the top bar of tools. Do you see the Copy and Paste tools? Immediately to the right of Paste there is a zoom box which changes the view from Auto to some percentage. Select a very small percentage such as 10% and you will see your object bounded by a green rectangle. Put the mouse cursor far away from the green rectangle on the Grey portion of your screen and right click the mouse. Choose "Add" then "Image" and choose your second object.

An other (faster?) way to do is to right-click in the objects window (bottom right) anywhere you want except on the objects already added.

Drury, If you want to learn quickly how to use v5, Lin and Jevans both wrote an excellent tutorial.

You can find them here (or link in my signature : click on v5).

Very clear explanations, Drury you should have no more problem to succeed.

An other (faster?) way to do is to right-click in the objects window (bottom right) anywhere you want except on the objects already added.

Drury, If you want to learn quickly how to use v5, Lin and Jevans both wrote an excellent tutorial.

You can find them here (or link in my signature : click on v5).

Thank you Lin and Dom. Lin's reply I've just printed out to see if in the next few days I can at last make some progress - if not I hope you will not mind my coming back to you. Yes Dom I do have both of the Tutorials printed out that you mention, but as I said to Lin I must be dense as in many respects the Tutorials just did not make sense at all. For instance Lin speaks of having her zoom at 27%, but it took me 3 weeks or more from trying the zoom control on the right of PTE and getting nowhere to suddenly out of the blue clicking recently on Auto and finding that was where I should have gone to alter the zoom Lin was talking about. The problem is of course that you as experts know most of the ins and outs, and whilst I think the Tutorials will no doubt make sense in due course, for the moment I've spent weeks trying to make things move but with such little success that I keep on going back to ProShow Gold.

Thank you Lin and Dom. Lin's reply I've just printed out to see if in the next few days I can at last make some progress - if not I hope you will not mind my coming back to you. Yes Dom I do have both of the Tutorials printed out that you mention, but as I said to Lin I must be dense as in many respects the Tutorials just did not make sense at all. For instance Lin speaks of having her zoom at 27%, but it took me 3 weeks or more from trying the zoom control on the right of PTE and getting nowhere to suddenly out of the blue clicking recently on Auto and finding that was where I should have gone to alter the zoom Lin was talking about. The problem is of course that you as experts know most of the ins and outs, and whilst I think the Tutorials will no doubt make sense in due course, for the moment I've spent weeks trying to make things move but with such little success that I keep on going back to ProShow Gold.

Lin very clear instructions, for which ever so many thanks, until about half way through. That green box I think should only be around the whole black part of my screen with one of the 1/4 pieces showing and then I realized a few lines later you told me to reduce the other 3 pieces' opacity. So far so good. Then I hit trouble, but maybe not, the white on the left of the 2 blue long horizontal lines does not start at the very left of that white bit at 0, but at the end of the white bit on the right of it - do I have to alter this in some way to get the 0 at the start on the left somehow? When I add the keypoint to the right of the 2 blue lines I get 19 secs not 15 even though each of the 4 pieces were altered customising each piece to 15 secs. I think the difference is something to do with a grey bar along the blue lines which says 4000ms? OK I now have my fourth piece showing bottom right in the black bit as I want it to finish. I drag the green box and make it smaller and off into the grey bit as I want it to zoom in from bottom right to its full size. Click preview - black screen then suddenly the 4th piece comes in full size, but with a black circle about half way acroos which moves to the right to reveal my piece in full. So please I do need further help as I think if I can get the principle of it zooming in from nothing as I want it to do I might even get titles to zoom too! With kindest regards to you and again thanks to you and Dom for your interest, Cheers, Derek

Lin very clear instructions, for which ever so many thanks, until about half way through. That green box I think should only be around the whole black part of my screen with one of the 1/4 pieces showing and then I realized a few lines later you told me to reduce the other 3 pieces' opacity. So far so good. Then I hit trouble, but maybe not, the white on the left of the 2 blue long horizontal lines does not start at the very left of that white bit at 0, but at the end of the white bit on the right of it - do I have to alter this in some way to get the 0 at the start on the left somehow? When I add the keypoint to the right of the 2 blue lines I get 19 secs not 15 even though each of the 4 pieces were altered customising each piece to 15 secs. I think the difference is something to do with a grey bar along the blue lines which says 4000ms? OK I now have my fourth piece showing bottom right in the black bit as I want it to finish. I drag the green box and make it smaller and off into the grey bit as I want it to zoom in from bottom right to its full size. Click preview - black screen then suddenly the 4th piece comes in full size, but with a black circle about half way acroos which moves to the right to reveal my piece in full. So please I do need further help as I think if I can get the principle of it zooming in from nothing as I want it to do I might even get titles to zoom too! With kindest regards to you and again thanks to you and Dom for your interest, Cheers, Derek

Hi Drury,

(Addenda) It just occurred to me that you may not have created the puzzle pieces using the same method I explained (Photoshop action by Panos) and if so, it may be confusing because the pieces are "synchronized" via the PNG transparency so that they line up perfectly for the assembled product at 100% zoom. If your puzzle was made otherwise the instructions may give you spurious results.

You don't want to add the keypoint to the "right" of the blue because that gets you into the following slide's timeline. The timeline for your individual puzzle piece is all in blue. 19 seconds would make the end point for your piece extend into the start time for the following piece. This is fine if that's what you want and is frequently used to give overlapping "fades" for effect, but for what you are trying to do this is not correct. Slide the keypoint back just into the edge of the blue at 15 seconds.

I suspect the easiest way for you to learn this is to start with only two slides. Set the time for each to about 15 seconds via the "Customize Slide" feature.

When you "insert" a slide, the effect in terms of pan and zoom will be keyed to the precise timeline position where you actually inserted the keypoint. You can "approximate" the time but once you make the insertion, the effect will be linear between the previous keypoint and this keypoint, but not necessarily linear between zero and the new keypoint unless you were very careful with your insertion. This probably accounts for the discrepancy you notice between where you inserted the keypoint and whatever effect you may notice even after you move the keypoint. Eventually Igor may make a feature to calculate what "should" be the proper zoom or pan number at the point where the keypoint ends up, but right now it doesn't work like that.

The "black circle" tells me that you have a transition selected such as the "circle" transition. That's why I think you should hold off on your slideshow until you learn how things work by using only two slides at first. The more slides you have and the more objects, the more possibilities there are for confusion until you get a handle on the mechanism. Once you figure it out, it will be very easy to use, but there is a learning curve.

So try only two slides and experiment with pan/zoom/rotate and with various keypoint positions. Follow the tutorials step-by-step and once you get the hang of it you will find it extremely powerful and easy to do very complicated things with this program - things not possible with ANY other current slideshow program.

It's always fun to try and make a "real" slideshow right away, but you can quickly get into problems and better to start with very simple things like learning to zoom, then learning to pan. Even with things like zoom there are some very powerful features which can get you into trouble. The small "square" between the X and Y axis, for example, can be clicked on to make it possible to change the X axis and not the Y axis. Run the Morgan Dollar simulation on my website (click on the Slideshow Demo link) and you can see what I mean. Its a small zipped executable, but demonstrates some of the power you will have once you work out the kinks.

http://www.lin-evans.net

Best regards,

Lin

Hi Drury,

(Addenda) It just occurred to me that you may not have created the puzzle pieces using the same method I explained (Photoshop action by Panos) and if so, it may be confusing because the pieces are "synchronized" via the PNG transparency so that they line up perfectly for the assembled product at 100% zoom. If your puzzle was made otherwise the instructions may give you spurious results.

You don't want to add the keypoint to the "right" of the blue because that gets you into the following slide's timeline. The timeline for your individual puzzle piece is all in blue. 19 seconds would make the end point for your piece extend into the start time for the following piece. This is fine if that's what you want and is frequently used to give overlapping "fades" for effect, but for what you are trying to do this is not correct. Slide the keypoint back just into the edge of the blue at 15 seconds.

I suspect the easiest way for you to learn this is to start with only two slides. Set the time for each to about 15 seconds via the "Customize Slide" feature.

When you "insert" a slide, the effect in terms of pan and zoom will be keyed to the precise timeline position where you actually inserted the keypoint. You can "approximate" the time but once you make the insertion, the effect will be linear between the previous keypoint and this keypoint, but not necessarily linear between zero and the new keypoint unless you were very careful with your insertion. This probably accounts for the discrepancy you notice between where you inserted the keypoint and whatever effect you may notice even after you move the keypoint. Eventually Igor may make a feature to calculate what "should" be the proper zoom or pan number at the point where the keypoint ends up, but right now it doesn't work like that.

The "black circle" tells me that you have a transition selected such as the "circle" transition. That's why I think you should hold off on your slideshow until you learn how things work by using only two slides at first. The more slides you have and the more objects, the more possibilities there are for confusion until you get a handle on the mechanism. Once you figure it out, it will be very easy to use, but there is a learning curve.

So try only two slides and experiment with pan/zoom/rotate and with various keypoint positions. Follow the tutorials step-by-step and once you get the hang of it you will find it extremely powerful and easy to do very complicated things with this program - things not possible with ANY other current slideshow program.

It's always fun to try and make a "real" slideshow right away, but you can quickly get into problems and better to start with very simple things like learning to zoom, then learning to pan. Even with things like zoom there are some very powerful features which can get you into trouble. The small "square" between the X and Y axis, for example, can be clicked on to make it possible to change the X axis and not the Y axis. Run the Morgan Dollar simulation on my website (click on the Slideshow Demo link) and you can see what I mean. Its a small zipped executable, but demonstrates some of the power you will have once you work out the kinks.

http://www.lin-evans.net

Best regards,

Lin

Hi Lin, At last there is movement and the way I want it! Correct me if I am wrong - (1) With an image in the object box, I left clicked 00.00.000, now made the image smaller, moved the resulting small box to the bottom right of the black box, and made the opacity 0. (2) Now I left clicked 00.15.000, made the opacity 100%, and resized the image to fill the black box. (3) I then clicked Play, near to the bottom right corner of O&A, and the image gradually comes in from bottom right, increasing in opacity, until it fills the black box - Magic!

Now (A) Why when you click Preview, does the same thing happens, but just before it fills my monitor's screen PTE comes in and you do not see the end? (B) You refer to the 'X&Y axis' presumably technical terms for those that have heard of them - to me are they not the 'Zoom Numbers?' © Most v5 exe shows repeat -I see that your Planets does not - can I ask how you have solved this please? (D) What are the purpose of intermediate keypoints? To stop the movement in one direction and send it off somewhere else?

All I can say is again thank you so much for getting me started on the 'V5 road.' Cheers, Derek

Hi Lin, At last there is movement and the way I want it! Correct me if I am wrong - (1) With an image in the object box, I left clicked 00.00.000, now made the image smaller, moved the resulting small box to the bottom right of the black box, and made the opacity 0. (2) Now I left clicked 00.15.000, made the opacity 100%, and resized the image to fill the black box. (3) I then clicked Play, near to the bottom right corner of O&A, and the image gradually comes in from bottom right, increasing in opacity, until it fills the black box - Magic!

Now (A) Why when you click Preview, does the same thing happens, but just before it fills my monitor's screen PTE comes in and you do not see the end? (B) You refer to the 'X&Y axis' presumably technical terms for those that have heard of them - to me are they not the 'Zoom Numbers?' © Most v5 exe shows repeat -I see that your Planets does not - can I ask how you have solved this please? (D) What are the purpose of intermediate keypoints? To stop the movement in one direction and send it off somewhere else?

All I can say is again thank you so much for getting me started on the 'V5 road.' Cheers, Derek

Sorry about the funny face - it is meant to be B in brackets!

Sorry about the funny face - it is meant to be B in brackets!

Hi Drury,

Let's start with the last question first. Project Options, "Main" tab, then you have the choice of repeating the show or ending the show after the last slide. You can also have the last slide remain on screen at the end of the show (the user then presses ESC to leave and go back to the Windows Desktop). These features have been enabled since beta 4 so no reason not to stop a show at the end if you want it that way.

Now let's look at the X - Y axis. When you choose to zoom you can make the image larger by either dragging the corner of it's rectangle, placing a different number inside the "Zoom" box in the Objects and Animations screen on the "Animations" tab or you can select the object by clicking on its name in the object list and hold down the up or down arrow key next to the zoom box which will increment the numbers up or down. Notice that when you do this you will see the object get larger or smaller proportionally. But what if you wanted to distort the object so it got larger or smaller on the vertical axis but not on the horizontal axis or vice versa? Then you click on the tiny box between the horizontal and vertical zoom. When you do this the appearance of the box changes slightly and then when you increment the numbers larger or smaller with either the horizontal or vertical zoom arrows, instead of the image getting larger or smaller proportionally, the object becomes distorted on either the horizontal or vertical axis (X or Y axis). This allows you to perform adjustments for a variety of conditions as well as create effects such as "flipping the Morgan Dollar". The effect of rotating the dollar was done aa an illusion by changing the amount of width while leaving the height constant until only a thin line exists, then substituting the opposite side of the coin already "squeezed" to a vertical line and gradually, over time, expanding it back to normal size on the reverse. The visual effect is somewhat as you would see when you "rotate" a coin standing on its edge. An optical illusion. That's what the tiny box between the Horizontal and Vertical zoom is for - to change from a linear expansion and contraction of the image to allow independent manipulation of the horizontal or vertical size.

As for the "Preview" not looking exactly as you see when actually changing the numbers, try dragging the keypoint at 15 seconds over into the white on the right side until it will stay and see what happens. My guess is that you are not quite at the end of the action when 15 seconds rolls around. If you zip up the pte file and images you are using and post a link I'll make it work right and then you can see what the changes were. Use the "File" "Create a Backup Zip" to automatically zip up everything then post a link to that file.

Best regards,

Lin

Hi Drury,

Let's start with the last question first. Project Options, "Main" tab, then you have the choice of repeating the show or ending the show after the last slide. You can also have the last slide remain on screen at the end of the show (the user then presses ESC to leave and go back to the Windows Desktop). These features have been enabled since beta 4 so no reason not to stop a show at the end if you want it that way.

Now let's look at the X - Y axis. When you choose to zoom you can make the image larger by either dragging the corner of it's rectangle, placing a different number inside the "Zoom" box in the Objects and Animations screen on the "Animations" tab or you can select the object by clicking on its name in the object list and hold down the up or down arrow key next to the zoom box which will increment the numbers up or down. Notice that when you do this you will see the object get larger or smaller proportionally. But what if you wanted to distort the object so it got larger or smaller on the vertical axis but not on the horizontal axis or vice versa? Then you click on the tiny box between the horizontal and vertical zoom. When you do this the appearance of the box changes slightly and then when you increment the numbers larger or smaller with either the horizontal or vertical zoom arrows, instead of the image getting larger or smaller proportionally, the object becomes distorted on either the horizontal or vertical axis (X or Y axis). This allows you to perform adjustments for a variety of conditions as well as create effects such as "flipping the Morgan Dollar". The effect of rotating the dollar was done aa an illusion by changing the amount of width while leaving the height constant until only a thin line exists, then substituting the opposite side of the coin already "squeezed" to a vertical line and gradually, over time, expanding it back to normal size on the reverse. The visual effect is somewhat as you would see when you "rotate" a coin standing on its edge. An optical illusion. That's what the tiny box between the Horizontal and Vertical zoom is for - to change from a linear expansion and contraction of the image to allow independent manipulation of the horizontal or vertical size.

As for the "Preview" not looking exactly as you see when actually changing the numbers, try dragging the keypoint at 15 seconds over into the white on the right side until it will stay and see what happens. My guess is that you are not quite at the end of the action when 15 seconds rolls around. If you zip up the pte file and images you are using and post a link I'll make it work right and then you can see what the changes were. Use the "File" "Create a Backup Zip" to automatically zip up everything then post a link to that file.

Best regards,

Lin

Hi Lin, I have managed to get my 4 pieces to come together over 16 secs! However, you will see if the zip file works that there are some partial sightings of some of the pieces I did not want and I am blowed if I can see how to get rid of these having definitely, or so I thought, started with 0 opacity. I am aware that there is a black line between B1 & B2 and a white one between A1 & B2- bad work in CS2 on my part! Hopefully they might disappear if I fade in the whole image of the Hall when I get my head around the joining of the 4 pieces. I did make a title slide that I want to come in over the sky part of the whole image, but the .png background is for some reason not transparent at least when I try to use it! The flower was for me to experiment with zooming it in - well maybe in 2/3 years time? Sorry my attachment is so big, but v5_Project1_Aug25_2006_21_36_43.zipwith the kindest regards to you, Derek

Hi Lin, I have managed to get my 4 pieces to come together over 16 secs! However, you will see if the zip file works that there are some partial sightings of some of the pieces I did not want and I am blowed if I can see how to get rid of these having definitely, or so I thought, started with 0 opacity. I am aware that there is a black line between B1 & B2 and a white one between A1 & B2- bad work in CS2 on my part! Hopefully they might disappear if I fade in the whole image of the Hall when I get my head around the joining of the 4 pieces. I did make a title slide that I want to come in over the sky part of the whole image, but the .png background is for some reason not transparent at least when I try to use it! The flower was for me to experiment with zooming it in - well maybe in 2/3 years time? Sorry my attachment is so big, but v5_Project1_Aug25_2006_21_36_43.zipwith the kindest regards to you, Derek

Hi Derek,

I created an new pte so as not to disturb your original. Here's the link. Yes, you want to add the original image and fade it in after you finish the assembly of the puzzle pieces to remove the line.

My version is a bit different than what you probably had in mind, but you can get the idea by looking at the pte file.

What you are forgetting is that when you set opacity to zero at the beginning then to 100%, etc., somewhere else along the time line, what you are asking the program to do is to gradually change from zero opacity to 100% opacity throughout the time from zero to the next keypoint. What you should do to maintain zero opacity until a particular time is put an intermediate keypoint where you want the change from zero to 100% opacity to begin. For example, if you want the piece to remain hidden for six seconds then begin to appear so it would appear at 8 seconds then you put another keypoint at 6 seconds with that set to zero opacity. The program will then keep that piece hidden because you have informed it that you want zero opacity at zero and zero opacity at six seconds. When six seconds passes the piece will begin to "materalize" and become 100% at 8 seconds. To make a longer fade it move the six second keypoint back toward zero to maybe 5 seconds. See how that works?

So you have it going well. Next place your original image in the front position (use Order, Bring to Front. Set the opacity to zero. Go to 13 or 14 seconds or so and put another keypoint set to zero then at 15 seconds or whatever make it 100% opaque.

Here's the link:

http://www.lin-evans.net/drury/drury.zip

Best regards,

Lin

Derek,

Just a little question : how did you do to make the numbers of download appears ? :huh:

Thanks. :)

Hi there, I've no idea - I'm sure it was not there when I wrote to Lin. Nor indeed do I know how I got the funny face which I see from the left of my monitor as I write this are called Smilies. All I can hope is that Lin did not get my .zip file 7 times!! Cheers, Derek

Now back to Lin's reply and hopefully find out where I have been going wrong.

Hi there, I've no idea - I'm sure it was not there when I wrote to Lin. Nor indeed do I know how I got the funny face which I see from the left of my monitor as I write this are called Smilies. All I can hope is that Lin did not get my .zip file 7 times!! Cheers, Derek

Now back to Lin's reply and hopefully find out where I have been going wrong.

Thinking about it further there were 4 images and the .pte file - making 5 things in the .zip file - so how come 7 ???

v5_Project1_AR.zipDerek,

Is this the result you want? I think your other images were starting to change opacity too early.

Dom,

The number of downloads appears automatically after you select "Add into post". I wasn't even aware that one could attach non-image files to posts in the Forum.

v5_Project1_AR.zipDerek,

Is this the result you want? I think your other images were starting to change opacity too early.

Dom,

The number of downloads appears automatically after you select "Add into post". I wasn't even aware that one could attach non-image files to posts in the Forum.

Hi Dom, Yes your version of my trying to bring in the 4 pieces to make a whole is exactly what I was attempting to do and could not really see why my pieces did not do what you have done. However, Lin Evans has as you will see also replied with a smashing version of the 4 pieces. By analysing what was sent it has given me a much clearer picture of how things should be set up in PTE5. Nevertheless I am most grateful to you both for your kind help. Cheers, Derek

Hi Derek,

I created an new pte so as not to disturb your original. Here's the link. Yes, you want to add the original image and fade it in after you finish the assembly of the puzzle pieces to remove the line.

My version is a bit different than what you probably had in mind, but you can get the idea by looking at the pte file.

What you are forgetting is that when you set opacity to zero at the beginning then to 100%, etc., somewhere else along the time line, what you are asking the program to do is to gradually change from zero opacity to 100% opacity throughout the time from zero to the next keypoint. What you should do to maintain zero opacity until a particular time is put an intermediate keypoint where you want the change from zero to 100% opacity to begin. For example, if you want the piece to remain hidden for six seconds then begin to appear so it would appear at 8 seconds then you put another keypoint at 6 seconds with that set to zero opacity. The program will then keep that piece hidden because you have informed it that you want zero opacity at zero and zero opacity at six seconds. When six seconds passes the piece will begin to "materalize" and become 100% at 8 seconds. To make a longer fade it move the six second keypoint back toward zero to maybe 5 seconds. See how that works?

So you have it going well. Next place your original image in the front position (use Order, Bring to Front. Set the opacity to zero. Go to 13 or 14 seconds or so and put another keypoint set to zero then at 15 seconds or whatever make it 100% opaque.

Here's the link:

http://www.lin-evans.net/drury/drury.zip

Best regards,

Lin

Hi Lin, Sorry it has taken me all day to reply, but your version of my 4 pieces really has given me so much food for thought and such a great insight in to how v5 works. I'm sure you will appreciate that you have given me a lot to take in! So for now thanks and thanks again - but I'm sure that I'll be back and just hope you do not mind. Cheers, Derek

Hi Dom, Yes your version of my trying to bring in the 4 pieces to make a whole is exactly what I was attempting to do and could not really see why my pieces did not do what you have done. However, Lin Evans has as you will see also replied with a smashing version of the 4 pieces. By analysing what was sent it has given me a much clearer picture of how things should be set up in PTE5. Nevertheless I am most grateful to you both for your kind help. Cheers, Derek

Hi Lin, Sorry it has taken me all day to reply, but your version of my 4 pieces really has given me so much food for thought and such a great insight in to how v5 works. I'm sure you will appreciate that you have given me a lot to take in! So for now thanks and thanks again - but I'm sure that I'll be back and just hope you do not mind. Cheers, Derek

Hi Lin & Dom, I said that I would be back. Your versions of the 4 pieces has given me a wonderful insight in how to do some of the possible animations with v5. I am also grateful too to Ronniebootwest for his tutorial for dummies like me on how to work on scrolling titles. He's sent out over 300.

I am not sure whether or not this is the right place to raise the fact that during emails with Ron I pointed out that the black box size in PTE appears to depend on the setting of your Monitor's screen size set in the Control Panel of Windows. Now that is OK if you want to use 4x3 images, that is say 1024x768 pixels. However, my TV screen is nearer 16x9 and using zoom, smart, or wide can cause a slight havoc with pics sized 4x3 in PTEv5. With ProShowGold you have the options of using 4x3, 16x9, or Custom. Do you think this will be coming in later versions of PTE or is there a way around resizing the black box somehow? Cheers, Derek

Hi Lin & Dom, I said that I would be back. Your versions of the 4 pieces has given me a wonderful insight in how to do some of the possible animations with v5. I am also grateful too to Ronniebootwest for his tutorial for dummies like me on how to work on scrolling titles. He's sent out over 300.

I am not sure whether or not this is the right place to raise the fact that during emails with Ron I pointed out that the black box size in PTE appears to depend on the setting of your Monitor's screen size set in the Control Panel of Windows. Now that is OK if you want to use 4x3 images, that is say 1024x768 pixels. However, my TV screen is nearer 16x9 and using zoom, smart, or wide can cause a slight havoc with pics sized 4x3 in PTEv5. With ProShowGold you have the options of using 4x3, 16x9, or Custom. Do you think this will be coming in later versions of PTE or is there a way around resizing the black box somehow? Cheers, Derek

Hi Derek,

Go to Project Options, then Screen and look at Aspect Ratio. Your choices include 4:3, 5:4, 15:9, 16:10, 16:9 or Custom which you define. You can essentially set up for "any" aspect ratio with P2E.

It would be a good idea for you to go to the Projects Options menu and just click through each tab and contemplate what each choice might mean. If you have questions about what a function choice does, write them down. Go through every choice and think about how that choice might affect the show and why there is a choice. This way you will become familiar with the program's features which might help make it easier to see how this all fits together.

Best regards,

Lin