WnSoft Forums

Keys to a successful presentation?

rwav

What would you say to a beginner who is attempting his first presentation? Details or big thing that makes the difference... I will start first.

- All horizontal slides so there is no "cross" between horizontal and vertical slides (this comes from the traditionnal slideshow craft)

- Quality of color, brightness and contrast that remains the same throughout the show (quite a challenge when you work with scanned pictures)

- Organise photos so there is a story to tell with a crescendo at the end, whenever possible

- Bells and whistles and special effects are nice when used sparingly (less is more...?)

Anything else? :D

rwav:

You have hit the keys.

LESS IS MORE (especially regarding the use of transitions othere than fades or cuts. But if you have a special situtation where a "fancy" transition makes sense use it.

I would add:

- custom synch to music

- try to have images that fade well into the other; line up matching areas, colours etc

- good mix of transition times and on-screen durations

- I agree with the no mixing of vertical and horizontal, but it can be handled nicely sometimes, but only have one cross over

- use the KISS principle :D Keep it Simple and Short (I know there is another use of KISS :D )

- you can have colour change through the show, but do it gradually with carefully chosen images

- I find digital shows are easier to match colour, brighteness etc as you can control that in PhotoShop, unlike the original slides.

- All horizontal slides so there is no "cross" between horizontal and vertical slides (this comes from the traditionnal slideshow craft)

This is a worthwhile thread for all of us. I appreciate knowing what is important to to each producer. Personally the issue of mixing horizontal and verticall is problematic for me. I agree that flipping back and forth is normally distracting or disturbing. On the other hand, I think that photographically, vertical compositions are very often best for a particular shot. So if one starts with the desire to make the best photograph, how can one then best utilize these verticals in a PTE show?

It is usually difficult to crop a good vertical into even an acceptable horizontal. If the original vertical is a good, tight, well composed picture, there is no way to turn it into an equally forceful horizontal. So then a show producer is forced to decide whether the vertical photographic impact is worth the distraction of being not a smoot fit with the rest of the show.

A couple of things I have tried are:

1. Choose a transition that seems to smooth the switch between the shapes.

2. Intentionally alternate horizontal/vertical to set up a "rhythum" that then becomes a helpful element to the intended pace or flow of the presentation.

3. Just be frustrated and hope someone will come up with a better idea. Because when my photo is what I am most interested in, it is painful to drop it for the sake of the "show."

Related observation: When a vertical shot is lying on it's side on a computer screen, it looks more impressive than it does after it is rotated to correct orientation? I think it may be just that when it is rotated to vertical it is now smaller and thus loses it's impact?

The above is strictly my home grown approach to the vertical/horizontal issue. I am sure many of you who have taken AV seriously in clubs etc., have worked this subject over and can suggest some further considerations and ideas.

My approach to vert vs horz might not necessarily be seen as the best.

I have been teased that my camera will not work vertically. That is because I am constantly thinking "slide show" when I shoot, and unless I know I am going to do a vertical show, I shoot all the shots horizontally even though compostionally a few might be better vertically. I am willing to pay the price of a few shots not being "quite right" in the slide show for the sake of no "crossovers"

I will however often shoot the same shot vertically so I have the compostionally correct shot for other purposes.

So yes, I guess I can be accused of not using my absolutely best shots at times in shows :D , but to my mind to do otherwise can often make the slide show less than the absolute best I can.

Life is full of compromises.

Years ago I solved this problem so that it worked

The square on the hypotenuse

Its now even easier with computer software, you can make a transtition from vertical to horizontal (or the other way about)

Edit the same or similiar fade pic either way into a square, (got to be a pic that will work) fade to the other orientation. Obviously dont keep changing all the time but you can move from one orientation to the other as both VISUALS and MUSIC dictates for the impact of your show. (But probably no more than 2 times in 1 show)

Also the gates fade (vertical and horziontal to and from centre) in PTE can be used to change the aspect without the viewer being fully away of the visual change that one has achieved. (thats psychological) I always stand behind my audience and observe their reactions, then use the results to fine tune the show.

Mike

Mersea Island

"What would you say to a beginner who is attempting his first presentation? Details or big thing that makes the difference..."

"What would you say to a beginner who is attempting his first presentation? Details or big thing that makes the difference..."

The most important think to think of is PRESENTATION and not SLIDE SHOW.

Express your feelings as best you can

Mike

Mersea Island

no "cross" between horizontal and vertical slides (rwav)
when my photo is what I am most interested in, it is painful to drop it for the sake of the show (Lumenlux)
I have been teased that my camera will not work vertically (JRR)

Coming from "AV sequences" or "diaporamas", but also from multivisions (or multiscreen projections), I am not so rigorous about crossing horizontal and vertical slides. Sure, we cannot place casually horizontal and vertical pictures, but if we know what we are doing, this too can be an expressive effect, maybe by putting beside two or three pictures, maybe in sequence... And anyway we can insert a vertical slide with a suitable background that adjusts the "split".

Sometimes, it's much more annoying an "incoherent" dissolve!

This problem, by the way, is well known by movie makers (and TV cameramen)... when they must enclose into a frame a tower, for example, they must necessarily place it in a horizontal frame, maybe cutting it by a sort of "side scene". And think when cinemascope became the standard format of movies!

Sure, the best solution is that JRR indicates... but it often happens we have to use pictures not made thinking about a show!

But let's don't go too far. In my opinion there is no rule that cannot be disregarded - provided, I repeat, we know what we are doing. And I agree substantially with my friend Bob "Lumenlux" (besides his idea of a vertical shot "lying on its side"... :D ). I agree also with Mike "Lloegyr" when he says that a presentation is not a slide show.

Thanks to all!