WnSoft Forums

Scrolling Text with Version 5

Ronniebootwest

A while ago I said that I would prepare a pdf tutorial for those of you who wanted some help with using version 5.

I have finished the first tutorial, which deals with using 'scrolling text' for opening titles and closing credits. I will be uploading it to my website very soon but in the meantime if you would like a copy, please send me your email address and I will send you one.

This free version is only for members of the forum and will only be available for a short while.

Ron

Update: I have now removed the offer to email you this tutorial from this post but for those of you who would still like a copy, it is available from 'TheDom' website: Download here

A while ago I said that I would prepare a pdf tutorial for those of you who wanted some help with using version 5.

I have finished the first tutorial, which deals with using 'scrolling text' for opening titles and closing credits. I will be uploading it to my website very soon but in the meantime if you would like a copy, please send me your email address and I will send you one.

This free version is only for members of the forum and will only be available for a short while.

email me at: ronniebootwest@ntlworld.com

Ron

Ron

Thanks for sending the Tutorial. I found it very clear and easy to follow.

Thanks again for sending it so quickly.

Brian.

Many thanks for the PDF Tutorial.

I have read this through line by line and it is a very professional production. I have created scrolling text in shows before and this is the clearest exposition I have come across.

Without wishing to criticise in any way it would be nice to link this with the “Star Wars” style of scroll as described by Ian Bateman in one of his posts on the forum. Or could this be incorporated in your tutorial as a variation on a theme?

Thanks for sending me the tutorial and for considering my suggestions in any revision you make. I think this is exactly what many folks are asking for as we move into the PTE5 era... clear tutorials on specific techniques or approaches. I look forward to any other tutorials that you or others provide. Good work and much appreciated.

Bruce

Nicely done, Ron.

As someone else has mentioned, when you said "scrolling text" I envisioned the Star Wars technique. I think that would be a great addition or variation.

Because I've played a little with the betas, I think I could have done what you describe without your tutorial. However, after seeing it written down, there actually are quite a few steps. :blink: For the uninitiated, this will be a good help.

Thanks!

Ron

Thank you for sending me the 'Scrolling Text' tutorial. It was very comprehensive and put together very well.

It really helped me to understand all of the steps in producing this effect and I look forward to any other tutorials that you may produce in the future.

Thank you again for helping to switch the light on.

PhilG

Thank you Ron for such a quick response to the request. The tutorial is brilliant for a newcomer like me and along with the tutorial from Lin Evans has already taught so much of what PTE5 can achieve. Each of them has encouraged to delve deeper into the new world of PZR.

What a fantastic programme - thanks Igor

Ray

Ron

Many thanks Ron for this splendid tutorial - very clear, precise and practical - just what I needed to generate the confidence to work with version 5 myself. I'll look forward with great anticipation to your future ventures down this track. This is my first contribution to the forum. I'll be back.

Ron

Ron, I sent a request for the tutorial.

Thanks for preparing it.

Rod

Hi Rod,

I have sent you a copy of the tutorial. However, I noticed that you had a space in your email address and this my prevent my mail getting to you. Would you please confirm that you have recieved the pdf tutorial.

Ron

Ron

Ron,

Received pdf file and have just tried it, Fantastic just what I an old fellw needs, something

that is explained in a simple way, Great stuff keep up the good work.

Thanks again RayC

Hi Ron,

Thanks for the quick reply to my request. I have now

studied it in detail. I found it well written and clear. I have

dabbled with the panning/zooming/animation effects with

beta 4 and found your tutorial clarified and added to my knowledge.

Keep up the good work. I look forward to the next tutorials.

Thanks again.

Best wishes,

Roger

Ron

I must be the only person with this problem. I followed instructions up to your 2.13. When I tried the preview--my main picture came up immediately instead of waiting the 20 seconds. Any ideas?

Barbara

Hi Ron,

I have just worked through your tutorial with great results. It is very easy to follow. Thank you for your generous sharing of knowledge and the time and effort you have put into its preparation. Your speedy response is greatly appreciated. :D

Djay

Thanks Ron, that is excellent. I read the PDF as I printed it off and I noticed that there were quite a few places where I will find it a very useful reference. It is those places where up till now I have been using "trial and error". Two points which may be of interest to you. One is that I use yellow as my basic (I use Blending Options a lot) text colour and find it does not show up well on the transparent (chequered background). So, at Item 1.4, I create a copy layer of the background and fill it with a suitable colour. This can be switched off once the text layer is complete. The other point is that, at Item 1.9, I save my *.psd file for any future amendments.

I based my preliminary experiments with scrolling text on Ian Bateman's "Chariots of Fire". There his scrolling text moves up from the bottom of the picture and out at the top. But it also tapers as it goes, which means you have to decrease the width of your text at the end point off the top of the screen. However I find, in order to make it more realistic, is to also taper the text in Photoshop, before saving as a *.png file. Not something however to include in your initial tutorial and confuse the issue.

Good luck with your future endeavours

Ron [uK]

Ron

I must be the only person with this problem. I followed instructions up to your 2.13. When I tried the preview--my main picture came up immediately instead of waiting the 20 seconds. Any ideas?

Barbara

Hello Barbara,

email me direct at ronniebootwest@ntlworld.com

No point clogging up the forum with this problem. Please give me some detail about what you are doing and I will try to help you.

Ron West

Many Thanks Ron.

found it all very easy to understand and follow.

Well done & keep up the hard work. :D

BW

Maureen

Many thanks for the tutorial.

The praise is already writ

and I agree with it.

For me the new v5 opens up all sorts of possibilities and at the same time far more dangers and pitfalls.

Our way of communicating is special and well above film and video which is usually far too near reality for my own comfort. For me OUR way is more like a "dream" than "reality".

TS Eliot reminds us that the human mind cannot accept much reality!

So thanks again for the tutorial which opened up all sorts of possibilties - I was struggling to cope with version 5 but after this tutorial, I became aware of all the new and exciting visual things that could be done, not just scrolling.

So I look forward to the book when it comes out but meanwhile thanks for the key to the whole new dimensions of PTE 5.

I do still want the perfection of those timing links, though. They are so important, particularly when trying to interpret music within Sequences.

If I can work out how to do it I'll put a Sequence called "Flutterings" up on the site, where I hope a few folk may gather what I'm on about - this "dreams versus reality" business !!!

For any who just can't wait that long, it is available for a few days on

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?acti...=peter@3-c.coop