WnSoft Forums

Interrogation

JPD

I have put on Beechbrook 3 slideshows made with V5 and announced as V5 (as somebody asked on this forum) and there AVI files in order that those who have problems to see V5 files can see them. The AVI file's downloaded today are more than half of the exe, I could think that about 35% of those who see slideshows thinks they will have problem with a V5 slideshow. I only hope I am wrong.

What do you think about this subject ?

I have put on Beechbrook 3 slideshows made with V5 and announced as V5 (as somebody asked on this forum) and there AVI files in order that those who have problems to see V5 files can see them. The AVI file's downloaded today are more than half of the exe, I could think that about 35% of those who see slideshows thinks they will have problem with a V5 slideshow. I only hope I am wrong.

Hi Jean Pierre,

First let me congratulate you on an incredible display of images and effects! I really don't imagine why any large proportion of those who downloaded the AVI files really "need" to use AVI because the vast majority of computers will play the executables very, very well.

The size of AVI compared to executable is about 10:1 and a loss of resolution too. I suspect that perhaps they were downloaded primarily because folks rarely see an AVI on Beechbrook rather than that they can't see the executables correctly.

I've been trying Windows Media Converter lately to convert the AVI to wmv format which can be streamed from the web. In that format the wmv is compressed to about half the AVI size but there is a fairly larger loss of quality. I really think that the executables are fine for the vast majority.

Best regards,

Lin

when time permits i will convert the avi's to dvd so i can sit back and view

May be other people as you have this idea, it will explain a part of these downloads, but I am not sure that all those who download AVI file have this idea.

Versailles

some shimmer at times on zooms and your fancy fades but did not bother me

Versailles use 1920 x 1080 size for pictures in order to test it was possible to have on all views a rectangle of 1920 x 1080 as parent with "Fit to screen" option and all the others child objects having the "original" option. This demonstrate it's possible to do with this method a slideshow at the future TVHD definition.

As the pictures inside Versailles are very big (1920 x 1080), it's probably the reason for which there are some problems with this slideshow.

Happy are the sightless persons !!!!

Hi Patrick,

We actually have seven systems to run these on ranging from state-of-art to very poor video. There is some jerky motion on the large images on our system with the very poor video card, but remenber when we downsample to AVI we are, in general, dropping the image quality by a significant amount over the executable.

Since the one thing which PicturesToExe has over the competition is image quality, and since the majority who will view these have reasonably good video systems, what is the true advantage of using a reduced resolution AVI? The "advantage" is so that a "few" can enjoy better performance while the "many" loose the additional image quality of the executable.

In general, those who are fortunate enough to be able to afford Plasma screens or High Definition TV which can take advantage of certain AVI quality are also fortunate enough to be able to afford upgraded video environments on their computers. So producing a higher resolution AVI file does not really work to the advantage of those less fortunate who have normal PAL or NTSC systems and the majority who have the means to buy large screen Plasma or HDTV also have the means and are more likely to have upgraded computers.

In the near future, all computer systems sold will very likely have upgraded video systems to run the Vista Operating System so this will all become a moot point.

For now - it does take considerable bandwidth to download the relatively HUGE AVI files over the very compact execuables.

The above, of course, is only my opinion and may or may not be correct, but it does explain my position .......

Best regards,

Lin

For me its security/safety. It would be extremely easy to include a virus or other harmfull code with a PTE slideshow with it having the ability to run external code. Given a choice of downloading and running an EXE file versus downloading/streaming a video file I will take the video file 100% of the time. Sure the quality is not as nice, but its safer, especially since you dont know who you can trust on the net.

Thats my take anyways.

Jason

Hi Patrick,We actually have seven systems to run these on ranging .....

Hello Lin

It is a misunderstanding as my remark was just to pinpoint your great optimism concerning smoothness of slideshows created with beta V5.

I really don't imagine why any large proportion of those who downloaded the AVI files really "need" to use AVI because the vast majority of computers will play the executables very, very well.
I really think that the executables are fine for the vast majority.

These assertions are very far from truth !

One of the first problem the creator of beta V5 made projects is : is it stuttering or not ? does it "flow" smootly ? :D ... and that, with poor hardware or very recent one.

As I know, Jean-Pierre released AVI slideshows along with beta V5 exe just so that those who encounter stuttering can have an idea of what he has done with the new features of PTE. His primary goal was not to offer multiple file types of one slideshow !

As soon PicturesToExe Deluxe will create slide shows in EXE files, in AVI (WMV after convertation) and create MPEG2 video files and record DVD-Video it will be ideal solution.

Personally I will record my slideshows as DVD-Video discs and include autorun.inf file and EXE version of my slide shows. So this disc will work on any device.

What concerning temporal problems with playing of Pan/Zoomed slide shows as EXE files. It's not directly our problem. I should say again we did all that was possible. Now we wait when all PCs will be upgraded for Windows Vista where new video card is required. Problems with some drivers will be solved, too.

And I don't know other programs that can work better at this moment. If it is so, it confirms that this task exceptionally difficult.

Hello Lin

It is a misunderstanding as my remark was just to pinpoint your great optimism concerning smoothness of slideshows created with beta V5.

These assertions are very far from truth !

One of the first problem the creator of beta V5 made projects is : is it stuttering or not ? does it "flow" smootly ? :D ... and that, with poor hardware or very recent one.

As I know, Jean-Pierre released AVI slideshows along with beta V5 exe just so that those who encounter stuttering can have an idea of what he has done with the new features of PTE. His primary goal was not to offer multiple file types of one slideshow !

We have greatly different experiences. I've personally tested p2e betas on several hundred systems since it first became available. This includes a large number of different video cards, system configurations and so on. I've created large and small RAM models with 32 layers of simultaneous operations and posted them so anyone can download them and test their systems. The "vast majority" (that's a statistical majority) have found that executables made with P2E executables run smoothly unless there is less than 64 megabytes of Video RAM or the RAM loading is excessive, neither of which is usually an issue.

Could you please tell me how you determined that "these assertions are very far from the truth"? Are you speaking from your personal experience or have you actually tested this assertion and determined which systems, video cards, versions of Direct X, etc., are having problems? What percentage do you estimate are not working properly with executable files? I'm sincerely interested in knowing what you have found and trying to determine why our experiences are so different. Igor has posted a list of video cards and asked for feedback on how well the samples have worked. Perhaps I've missed the reports of poor operation and if so I apologize, but I'm certainly not seeing a large number of people complaining about the smoothness of operation of executable slide shows. There have been some who have had difficulties, but if there are large numbers I would sincerely like to hear about it so we can get to the bottom of the issues. I'm certain Igor would also be very interested.

Best regards,

Lin

Lin,

I think there is probably a difference between States and Europ, here many people have cheap or old PC. To day here many of the cheap PC which are sale haven't graphic memory, the graphic card use the memory of the computer, and of course it's very bad as result. Of course the storekeepers forget to explain this point.

Many people doesn't know they must have a special memory with graphic card to have a good computer.

But, even with what I just explain I am always surprised by the number of AVI's download, that's right it's not at all the same quality, today, than the exe.

Could you please tell me how you determined that "these assertions are very far from the truth"? Are you speaking from your personal experience or have you actually tested this assertion and determined which systems, video cards, versions of Direct X, etc., are having problems?

Hello Lin

I didn't make test but each time I tried to launch beta V5 slideshows there are problem... so I don't download them anymore or very seldomly at special demand (JPD for example).

I am working in a universitary hospital where there must be 500 or more PC, 75% or so are equipped with Win98 and the others with WinXP. 50% have a screen resolution of 800/600 and the others, above.

I don't know exactly the hardware specifications but this is of poor interest for me because what count's is the end result : beta V5 new features are nonsense for me as they don't work properly in most cases, PTE 4.48 run's without problem

My conclusions are very basic... I forget beta V5 slideshows and only concentrate on 4.48 one. So I am sure that my slideshows designed for professional goals can be read by everyone.

I am working in a universitary hospital where there must be 500 or more PC, 75% or so are equipped with Win98 and the others with WinXP. 50% have a screen resolution of 800/600 and the others, above.

.........snip............

So I am sure that my slideshows designed for professional goals can be read by everyone.

Patrick,

You must use some DVD's for training purposes in the hospital where you work, no??

These days, some software is even provided on DVD's, and DVD's are very commonly used for tutorials.

Versailles use 1920 x 1080 size for pictures in order to test it was possible to have on all views a rectangle of 1920 x 1080 as parent with "Fit to screen" option and all the others child objects having the "original" option. This demonstrate it's possible to do with this method a slideshow at the future TVHD definition.

As the pictures inside Versailles are very big (1920 x 1080), it's probably the reason for which there are some problems with this slideshow.

I was very disappointed to find the avi version of Versailles was only at DVD quality 720x576.

when you made the sequence at 1920x1080 with HDTV in mind.

I realize this would be a very large file to download so why not, say, 1280x720?

It could then be compared with an exe file of the same resolution.

Keith Biggs

avi version of Versailles was only at DVD quality 720x576.

It's a 960 x 540 format, I haven't try to do 1920 x 1080 and am not sure to have the good codec for that.

It's a 960 x 540 format, I haven't try to do 1920 x 1080 and am not sure to have the good codec for that.

I have been using the XviD codec at 1280x720 with good results.

Using the PTE codec at 1920x1080 I get stuttering and the sound is not right.

Keith Biggs

You must use some DVD's for training purposes in the hospital where you work, no??

Hello Al

No, this is not the accustomed solution in use here in France (and internationaly as I know) for medical meetings, courses or refresher courses.

DVD's are limited for individual usage.

In most cases, we use Powerpoint shows in wich we incorporate photos, Excel diagrams and even video sequences.

PTE gives much more image quality but special transitions effects have to be avoided so that they can be run on all PC's, even very tired one !

Hello Lin

I didn't make test but each time I tried to launch beta V5 slideshows there are problem... so I don't download them anymore or very seldomly at special demand (JPD for example).

Patrick,

that a bit like saying "I want to get into Formula 1, but I'm going to do it in my 2 cheval"

John

that a bit like saying "I want to get into Formula 1, but I'm going to do it in my 2 cheval"

No :D

What I say is that I prefer my 2 chevaux with wich I can go every where, every day, instead of a Formula 1 I can only use one day in the year ... the day I rent a race car circuit :):)

My PC isn't a 2 chevaux (neither a Ferrari), and I was disapointed to be enable to see your two shows about Spain. I know that at least 2 of my shows (Versailles" and "Chantilly" don't run on all PC, it's the reason for which I did AVI.

It's also the reason for which I am searching simples rules to do a slideshow with PZR effects which can run on a maximum of PC. The Lin Evans experience's with his Puzzle show us that a same Slideshow which doesn't work fine on many PC can work if using another method to do it. Even with a very strong PC it's possible to do a slideshow you couldn't see, it's why it's very important to find these rules.

I just begin to have some ideas, and the experience I did with version 2 and 3 of "Fantaisies florales" show me it was always possible to make a slideshow smoother.

Even with all explanations I read, I don't always understand why so many people download AVI, it's bigger and not so fine as EXE.