WnSoft Forums

Sample files from DVD Builder

alrobin

I have uploaded excerpts from a couple of my recent shows, re-created in PTE v.5 Deluxe, and rendered with the new DVD Builder. They can be downloaded from:

http://www.alrobinson.com/PTE-Deluxe_test-shows.zip and http://www.alrobinson.com/VIDEO_TS.zip . The first file is 7 Mb, and the second is 48 Mb.

Click on the former and unzip the "exe" files to watch the shows on your pc, or if you want to test out the DVD version, download and unzip the second set of files and save them in a folder named: "VIDEO_TS". Also create a folder "AUDIO_TS", and leave it empty. Copy these two Video and Audio folders to the root of a blank DVD, and test it in your favourite DVD player (or pc).

The first show, "Brasov", is in 4:3 format, and the second, "Big Bend", is in WideScreen format, 16:9.

I have also uploaded the pte project files in case anyone wants to create their own DVD using the new v.5 Deluxe program to compare with the ones on my website. They can be found here:

http://www.alrobinson.com/Brasov_mini_Oct3...06_12-46-08.zip and http://www.alrobinson.com/Big-bend-mini_Oc...06_12-47-03.zip . (2 Mb and 4.4 Mb, respectively).

By the way, it took only 5 1/2 minutes to render the two mini-sequences with PTE DVD Builder, and then only about 30 seconds to burn the files to a DVD-RW disk in "data" mode, using my Sonic DVD burner. (see attached log, as well as the "Properties" menu for rendering the shows.) They play perfectly in my Sony DVD player.

post-215-1162326133_thumb.jpg

post-215-1162326150_thumb.jpg

Al, thank you for the test files. As I expected, my results are the same with yours as with mine. Burned shows run fine on a PC but not on the DVD/TV.

I think my next step is to make sure my burner has the latest updates. And, don't know why I did not think sooner, I will try Beta #7 on the laptop burner.

By the way, I like your mini segments' use of V5. Not that you asked, but the title text on Big Bend, would appeal to me more if the two instances seemed on the same plane. Know what I mean?

Al, thank you for the test files. As I expected, my results are the same with yours as with mine. Burned shows run fine on a PC but not on the DVD/TV.

I think my next step is to make sure my burner has the latest updates. And, don't know why I did not think sooner, I will try Beta #7 on the laptop burner.

By the way, I like your mini segments' use of V5. Not that you asked, but the title text on Big Bend, would appeal to me more if the two instances seemed on the same plane. Know what I mean?

Hi, Robert,

Thanks for your comments. I agree re the titles - I just grabbed a few pieces here and there in order to get this out for people to use - not meant to be a final production. Also, the title, as someone else has pointed out, has some fancy fringing around it. I think I used "My web" for saving the "png" file instead of "saving as", and may have used the wrong options.

Hope you get your dvd player sorted out.

Al, I followed your advice to the letter, first trying Ulead's Video Studio 7 without success, files not recognised. Next attempt with Nero 6.6 Burning ROM 'DVD-Video feature was successful to a Traxdata DVD-RW.

Playback from a Pacific DVD Player and Cyberhome DVD Recorder was excellent. I particularily liked the widescreen version giving that 'Big Country' feel to the show.

Well worth the testing, thanks for sharing.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi! Al,

I have just downloaded your mini demos, most impressed I was to.

I was particularly interested in your voice over in “Big Bend”, your voice comes over rich and with no background noise, I have been struggling to get this quality, please can you let me know what microphone you used and under what conditions.

Your Mini Demos……

I downloaded both versions and burned a DVD using NTI DVD-maker, the disc ran on both my computer and dvd/tv, but on the dvd version played via my tv, the shows went into a loop and kept playing over and over utill I pressed stop on the remote,was this intentional if so ,how did you do it??????

Looking foreword to your reply

Tom..

I was particularly interested in your voice over in "Big Bend", your voice comes over rich and with no background noise, I have been struggling to get this quality, please can you let me know what microphone you used and under what conditions.

Tom, (and Nathan, too),

Thanks for your kind words.

Good-quality voice-over is difficult to achieve (especially when you have a scratchy voice like mine). First of all I found that singing in a local community choir for a couple of years really helped improve the quality of my voice. When one gets older, one's throat muscles tend to relax (just like the rest of the body), so regular exercise tends to improve things a lot.

The next consideration is a good microphone and amplifying electronics. I use an "Audio Techniques" professional mic (ATM41HE), and an external sound card ("MAudio"), as I found a lot of noise being generated in the old one, even though it was considered to be a good card ("Audigy"). Another problem with recording quality arises when you use the mic too close to the mouth, so I made a baffle out of an old pair of panty-hose (my wife's, not mine!), mounted it so it hangs in front of the mic, and this mutes the annoying little "explosions" from "p's" and "t's", thus greatly improving the quality of the recording. A mic stand is also important as it leaves your hands free to hold the script, scratch your nose, etc. It goes without saying that it is important, too, not to shuffle one's feet or kick the mic stand while recording. I record a couple of runs at the script so I can cut and paste the best parts in the sound editor.

The third consideration is room noise, as well as noise from outside. I try to record narration early in the morning when no one else is around, and before any garbage trucks, etc., are driving by. However, because I rely on a pc for the recording, I find the fan noise to be excessive, so I use a long mic cord, and close myself up in a nearby room, with a closed door separating the mic from the pc. It helps to turn off the AC or the furnace and hot-water heater, too, while making the recording. It is also a good idea to try to use a small room, with padding on the walls if possible. Some recording artists build a little sound room, with acoustic tiles lining the ceiling and walls, but it helps to just hang a few curtains or blankets or sleeping-bags near where you will be doing the recording. I don't have a proper sound room, and just make do with a small back room.

The last important item is the ability to polish up the recording in a sound editor. I find a little dynamic balancing to be useful, as well as some careful equalization of the different frequency ranges to make the voice sound clearer, and more resonant.

Hope this helps! :)

Your Mini Demos……

I downloaded both versions and burned a DVD using NTI DVD-maker, the disc ran on both my computer and dvd/tv, but on the dvd version played via my tv, the shows went into a loop and kept playing over and over utill I pressed stop on the remote,was this intentional if so ,how did you do it??????

Tom,

I forgot to answer your second question. The shows' repeating was an error caused by my checking "Repeat playback of a disk" in the DVD Builder Proj Ops menu. There also seems to be a bug in the program in that if you have 2 or more shows in a menu, play goes right into the second show without first returning to the menu.

Hi! Al,

Thanks for the prompt reply.

I am now trawling around looking for a mic that will do the job for me, the rest of your advice is right on the money although I don’t think I am quite ready for a Padded room yet…LOL.

As to DVD production, I feel that Igor and the team will iron out all the problems very soon, I think they have only to find a DVD burning library that will satisfy everyone’s needs, the conversion and rendering side of the process is pretty much complete.

At the moment I am using DVD Builder to Write DVD folders to my hard drive by selecting (Create DVD folders) only, then burning the disc using NTi DVD creater software, success every time with the disc playing on both my computer and DVD/TV.

At the end of the day, with PTE extra, the team will have a programme that will take a lot of beating by the competition and one that they can be very very proud of, I’m sure you will agree.

Tom.

• 4 weeks later...

I have also uploaded the pte project files in case anyone wants to create their own DVD using the new v.5 Deluxe program to compare with the ones on my website. They can be found here:

http://www.alrobinson.com/Brasov_mini_Oct3...06_12-46-08.zip and http://www.alrobinson.com/Big-bend-mini_Oc...06_12-47-03.zip . (2 Mb and 4.4 Mb, respectively).

Al,

I can't download the files. Did you already removed them ? :unsure:

Hi, Dom,

Yes, sorry, I removed the files to make some room - will put them back temporarily (if I can find them) so that you can download them again if you wish.

Just give me a few minutes.

Ciao,

Al