WnSoft Forums

How Good is PTEv5.0

mightec

I am currently using Photodex Producer and use the ProShow Enthusiasts forum, many of the members also use PTE. Today we heard of a major price reduction of PSPv3.0, this comes after I have only recently upgraded to PSPv3.0 at a cost of circa $350.00. I am not happy and I am seriously thinking of changing to PTE, hence my question - How good is PTEv5.0.

I am not happy and I am seriously thinking of changing to PTE, hence my question - How good is PTEv5.0.

Unfoutnately I cannot specifically compare PTE 5 to PSPv3.0.

However when I was first shopping 5 years ago I was very unhappy with everything else I tried.

What I CAN tell you is that PTE 5 is still in beta with the typical GOTCHA's you would expect to find in any beta release.

However the great features version PTE 5 will give you are worth the minor headaches.

I have the oppertunity to see lots of stuff other people put together with other programs and am usually disapointed with what they have done.

My suggestion to you would be to download some of the stuff others have done:

http://www.picturestoexe.com/forums/index.php?showforum=3

and look for yourself!!

There is another site with many examples too:

http://www.beechbrook.com/pte/index.asp

mightec

welcome to the forum

we are currently testing v5 beta and the are quite a few things not enabled -- it brings pan and zoom and many other features to the package

but

if you visit this section

http://www.picturestoexe.com/forums/index.php?showforum=3

there are numerous demos posted

also one our members Bill Hines hosts a site where you can see shows made with the older version as well as shows made with the beta's -

there are also tutorials and demos posted

http://www.beechbrook.com/pte/

also see

http://thefreedom.free.fr/share/portal.php

it is best to try the latest stable version 4.48 first before tackling ver 5

try it -- i dont think you will be disappointed

ken

I agree with what Ken has advised you to do - have a go with Version 4.48 before you attempt Version 5, that way you will get a feel for just how good PTE really is.

As an old user of Pro Show Gold, I can say that PTE is streets ahead for visual quality and when Version 5 is finally realeased, it will be the top selling package that others will be judged by. The mere fact that Pro Show has reduced its prices so drastically, proves that they are finding it difficult to compete.

You also have to consider that PTE has this wonderful Forum where you can get answers and help with any problems that you encounter along the way.

I wholeheartedly endorse the Pictures To Exe software.

Ronnie West.

Hello 'mightec' and welcome to the forum.

I have not actually used proshow to make any sequences but I have had a look at the program and I have to say that PTE seems, to me at least, to be more user friendly and more intuitive to learn and use.

I can also tell you that I have entered and attended many AV comps and it is noticeable which sequences have been produced in PTE and those made with proshow. Yes, there are more types of fade available in proshow (but how many do you need?) and yes it already has motion options (but you don't necessarily need motion to make a good AV), but the thing that sells PTE for me is the image quality and the quality of the fades - it's superb.

Like other replies I would recommend v4.48 to begin with, then look out for the finished v5.

Good luck,

Hello there,

I've used Proshow Gold, PTE and my Apple iMovie to create slideshow. My choice and decisions.

IMO:

==============

PTE versiion 4.48 =

PRO - Simple to use and creates a simple exe file that plays right away and affordable.

Con - No quick solution to convert to DVD but it was possible to do. I did not like the interface.

I use PTE 100% of the time to create all my slideshow to run on PCs

==============

ProShowGold

Pro = Simple to use, Great choice of output from one file creation = Do it once and export to DVD,VCD, Web EXE etc.

Cons = Expensive and I hated the export to EXE format and the required plugins.

I only used ProShow to create the cool effects and convert to DVD. (This meant I had to rebuild my slideshow again synced to music - what a pain.) I use Proshow gold only 5% if I need to convert to DVD.

===============

Apple iMovie

I only use iMovie to create my DVD when PTE and ProshowGold can't do it for me.

Con = Slow proccess and I would have to rebuild my slideshow again. Limited functions to customize slides.

================

PTE 5.0 beta

Pro = Looks like everything I was looking for. Simple and straight converstion to DVD. Just want I want in a app. New special effects - and simple to use.

Cons: Still in beta and Still got some beta bugs :(

I can't wait for this to go GOLD. Everything I need to do at this time. Perhaps a new feature request!!! - Export to Flash.

Regards,

Bob Yuen

www.byuen.com

I am currently using Photodex Producer and use the ProShow Enthusiasts forum, many of the members also use PTE. Today we heard of a major price reduction of PSPv3.0, this comes after I have only recently upgraded to PSPv3.0 at a cost of circa $350.00. I am not happy and I am seriously thinking of changing to PTE, hence my question - How good is PTEv5.0.

For the price, why not buy it and use it. The simplicity is super as are the final shows you will produce. V5.0 being yet in Beta, will perform very well, minus many features of course, but you can get a feel for it and produce some exciting stuff. Take a look at some of the sample shows.

I have used ProShow and found it fairly good to use and set things up, however final shows didn't have the quality I wanted and there were issues with crashes and lack of solid support. I know many photographers that like PS best, but mainly because they use MACs and not PCs. Many happy PTE users here and support in this forum is excellant. The big plus is that you have the ear of the author and his team, always listening to the users and supportive beyond expectations.

Come on over!

larry

Hi there,

Sure enough PSP has all the whistles and features of what a slideshow prog should ideally have. No doubts about it. But ... But... the one thing that PSP cannot match PTE is the most important feature of any slideshow i.e. IMAGE QUALTITY, IMAGE QUALITY AND IMAGE QUALITY. Period. And in the event if PTE has the ability to incorporate all the features and whistles of PSP, then it will be no doubt be the uno numero or mother of all slideshow progs out there. I rest my case. ;)

Regards

Azmi

I was a Proshow Producer user and I switched to PTE mainly because of :

- its very superior image quality

- remarkable engine : pan/zoom/rotate/transition effects much smoother

- very stable (I NEVER had a crash and I had so many with Producer! :angry: )

- the parent/children objects which is so powerfull (probably the best feature!)

- excellent conception and simplicity, very intuitive

- the potential of future evolutions on a VERY SOLID basis (imho, proshow products are a little bit messy, especially since v3).

Clearly everyone is very happy with PTE and the prospects of the new release. I have now purchased version 4.48 and I will give it a whirl. A bit of a steep learning curve I fear, but lets see how we get on, it seems that this forum will be a great support.

I tryed Proshow Gold before buying PTE. This is what i thought of it JUNK-JUNK! It would crash all the time and the show made with it would do that too. I thought it mite be my puter till i look around on the net and found that many people were realy mad at photodex over the fact that they could not get help from them. With PTE i had a problem with my first show and wnsoft got right back to me to tell me that it was my music that was making the problem. So winsoft help fix my problem even though it was not a PTE problem! Now i have only played with PTE 5 some but 4 kicks butt! Yes, there are more types of fade available in proshow (to many in IMO) but you can make your own fades. The other thing that sold me on PTE was although it has a steep learning curve there are tutorials, guides, documentation, and how to, that get you up and going very fast. By doing that i know how to build a basic show before i even bought PTE.

Mightec

If you visit The Dom's website you will find tutorials for PTE 4.8, along with tutorials for beta PTE 5 also. The Dom has dedicated this website to PTE and it is a mine of information with tutorials, photoshop tips, demonstration slideshows, you name it - if you want information on PTE you will find it there and you will certainly find help with the 'learning curve'. It's a little gem and he tirelessly updates it!!! And THIS FORUM HAS to be the most helpful and friendly Forum on the Web!!

And of course, it's thanks to Igor and his wonderful team and their dedication and attitude that this Forum exists at all!!

Nettleton