WnSoft Forums

Helicopter Rotors

Tomuk

Tom,

If you are still interested in surround sound I put another reply on your earlier question but I found it hard to find! So I will repeat here that Nero also has 5.1 capabilities shipped with recent versions under SoundTrax2. I can also confirm Audition version 1.0 has it.

Peter

Hi Jean-Pierre,

Thanks! It's not a very "polished" tutorial, just a quick one to show Tom the basic steps, but I think it might help other English speaking members who may be having problems with this concept break down the barrier and see how the parent/child relationships can work to change and "hold" the shapes desired to achieve realistic effects via the rectangles.

Thanks again for your discovery and excellent explanations via demonstrations which truly transcend language barriers!

best regards,

Lin

Lin, I just see you tutorial : very nice, I hope that with it, every english spoken people will know how to use rectangles like that.

Lin,

Many thanks from another English speaker. It may not be super glossy but it's polished enough to clearly explain what's going on. It has certainly helped me. Is there any chance that you can explain what it is that is done with the output from the excel calculations? I guessed that J-P is not entering them manually but what does he do? Is Tom's web page also feeding lots of calculations to some "hidden place" in PTE? Jean-Pierre's work makes me wish I had paid more attention to my French lessons.

Peter

Hi Peter,

I can't speak for Jean-Pierre, but I suspect he is indeed entering the values manually. I don't know any way to take the Excel output directly into PTE but perhaps its possible to export it as text then cut and paste though I don't sse how this would automatically enter the values in their correct places. Maybe someone else can comment here.

I don't think Tom is feeding calculations to a hidden place in PTE, but I haven't yet looked into what he is doing with random cube behavior generation so I may be wrong. Perhaps Tom can explain this if he hasn't already done so in another place.

I too would love to speak and read French ( Actually I can read a good bit because of the similarity of all romance languages, but don't speak French at all). JPD has so much to offer and is brilliant with his applications of pte to innovative solutions.

Best regards,

Lin

Lin,

Many thanks from another English speaker. It may not be super glossy but it's polished enough to clearly explain what's going on. It has certainly helped me. Is there any chance that you can explain what it is that is done with the output from the excel calculations? I guessed that J-P is not entering them manually but what does he do? Is Tom's web page also feeding lots of calculations to some "hidden place" in PTE? Jean-Pierre's work makes me wish I had paid more attention to my French lessons.

Peter

I guessed that J-P is not entering them manually but what does he do?

No, it would be very difficult to do manually (only for the first test on one face to understand what is necessary to calculate). Then I put formulas in Excel which give as result exactly the same language as PTE (in text file) I have just to copy and past.

The difficulty is to make the formulas (many trigonometrics one), more than two hundred differents formulas and after copy and paste several thousand.

The text file is a very good choice of Wnsoft's team, for instance with Mediashow, it's impossible to do the same.

Hi Jean-Pierre,

Are you then placing the Excel output directly into the PTE file rather than adding via the program interface?

Thanks,

Lin

No, it would be very difficult to do manually (only for the first test on one face to understand what is necessary to calculate). Then I put formulas in Excel which give as result exactly the same language as PTE (in text file) I have just to copy and past.

The difficulty is to make the formulas (many trigonometrics one), more than two hundred differents formulas and after copy and paste several thousand.

The text file is a very good choice of Wnsoft's team, for instance with Mediashow, it's impossible to do the same.

Lin,

I open the PTE file with the notepad of Windows, I have problem with french caracters like é è î .... when I open it with Excel.

I copy the result of my speadsheet and past it at the good place in the notepad inside the PTE text then I save (with another name if I have a mistake) and open with PTE.

That makes perfect sense Jean-Pierre - I used to modify my older release PTE files using Wordpad or using the "Edit" function from the DOS prompt. I had not yet done so with the beta but this is the only reasonable way to get the many, many calculations into the show and saving under another name will prevent disaster should there be a major error!

Thanks,

Lin

Lin,

I open the PTE file with the notepad of Windows, I have problem with french caracters like é è î .... when I open it with Excel.

I copy the result of my speadsheet and past it at the good place in the notepad inside the PTE text then I save (with another name if I have a mistake) and open with PTE.

Hi! Lin,

I have sent you a file via Dropload (I have no other way of sending files)you should receive an e-mail from them shortly, It's my first attempt after watching your tutorial, if you have any comments or observations please post on this forum so everybody can share in your words of widom, you can be as harsh as you like as I believe we can only learn by constructive criticism.(is that how you spell criticism?).

Tom.

Use "Comment" Tom, it is easier to spell than "Criticism". :D

Ron [uK}

Sorry Al, the Dom's demo is only a modification of the demo which is at the post that I did to answer at TomUK and was very well explain by Lin Evans.

I'm sorry, JP - my mistake. Things are happening so fast around here that I can't keep track of who did what and why for whom! :)

. I don't know any way to take the Excel output directly into PTE but perhaps its possible to export it as text then cut and paste though I don't sse how this would automatically enter the values in their correct places. Maybe someone else can comment here.

LIn,

Have a look at my "Adjustor" model - it's an Excel spreadsheet for version 4, which loads a pte project file and displays various parameters which you can then change and output again, as a revised pte file. It's still on Beechbrook and can also be downloaded from my website at http://www.alrobinson.com/shows.htm .

I'm sure a similar thing can be designed for version 5 once it is finalized. But I like Tom's idea better, (i.e. sending one's project files to a web server and downloading the result).

Hi Tom,

I received and checked out your helicopter and it looked just fine. I think you have mastered the technique perfectly. There are probably many ways one can use the rectangles, such as those pioneered by JPD as well as others yet to be discovered.

I'm not a truly creative type myself - I wish I were - so I really appreciate seeing technology being used in very creative ways. You have the tools now to go out and create other animations and as time goes on I'm sure the forum members will come up with a wide variety of great and innovative ways to present superior slideshows. Once the novelty of playing with all the new tools subsides, we will likely see subtle applications of these features incorporated in many artistic presentations. I truly can't wait!

Best regards,

Lin

Hi! Lin,

I have sent you a file via Dropload (I have no other way of sending files)you should receive an e-mail from them shortly, It's my first attempt after watching your tutorial, if you have any comments or observations please post on this forum so everybody can share in your words of widom, you can be as harsh as you like as I believe we can only learn by constructive criticism.(is that how you spell criticism?).

Tom.

I'm sorry, JP - my mistake. Things are happening so fast around here that I can't keep track of who did what and why for whom! :)

LIn,

Have a look at my "Adjustor" model - it's an Excel spreadsheet for version 4, which loads a pte project file and displays various parameters which you can then change and output again, as a revised pte file. It's still on Beechbrook and can also be downloaded from my website at http://www.alrobinson.com/shows.htm .

I'm sure a similar thing can be designed for version 5 once it is finalized. But I like Tom's idea better, (i.e. sending one's project files to a web server and downloading the result).

Thanks Al, I'll definitely look that one up. I'm sure as time goes on we will be finding many new and innovative ways to use this great tool!

Best regards,

Lin

.com/shows.htm .

Hi! Al,

I'm sorry but I can't take credit for the above Idea, I't came from Ken Cox who suggested it as a method so I could get my project file out there so others could help with a problem I had, it works a treat (and is free for upto 100mb).

Tom.

Hi! Al,

I'm sorry but I can't take credit for the above Idea, I't came from Ken Cox who suggested it as a method so I could get my project file out there so others could help with a problem I had, it works a treat (and is free for upto 100mb).

Tom.

Sorry, I was referring to the other Tom ("tom95521"). :)

He has designed a web page with a template which you can use for customizing a cube.

Lin, Al and JPD,

Thanks for the discussion following my question on the spread sheets. Your replies opened up a whole new world to me. I never realised that you could open a PTE file in a text editor. Simple if you know about programming I suppose - but I don't! I tried it and was amazed to see it text that all looks reasonably logical.

I had a look at Al's "Adjustor" and having seen the PTE text file helped to explain what its purpose is. It would be very nice to see (eventually) something similar for v5.

Tom95521's web page looks like a very handy alternative but I guess it would be hard to beat the flexibility of the spread sheet.

I was trying to produce a diagram showing directions around a series of obstacles. This involved some numbers, text and arrows coming on and off the screen at about 3 second intervals, synchronised and in a strict sequence. I found entering all the key points and then keying in the precise time positions etc to get everything synchronised and sized correctly a little tedious. It would have saved me lots of time if I could have set out the times in a spread sheet, or even a document, and just entered them into the text file.

I can certainly see why JPD works as he does but I am sure the maths involved in his shows is not for the average AV producer.

Also thanks to TomUK for starting what has turned out to be a most rewarding topic. He only wanted a helicopter rotor to turn

Peter

Here's the link to the little Flash 8 SWF file to see how this is accomplished. If you don't have a Flash viewer, the latest Irfanview with the latest plugins will play it for you. The SWF is zipped.....

http://www.lin-evans.net/p2e/rotorblade.zip

Best regards,

Lin

p.s. I'll put it in the "pinned" tutorial section too.

Although I routinely use Irfanview and all the plugins, the above .swf will not run on this computer. Using Irfanview's swf viewer Ver.9 (thanks Adobe, per Irfanview) the .swf file opens with a brief flash and crackle then no picture -only sound. The same .swf and same Irfanview version (3.99) and plugins on a different PC here, run the .swf fine. This computer that plays sound only, right now will run other .swf files with picture and sound.

Anyone help me troubleshoot this?

I can certainly see why JPD works as he does

I don't always use Excel, for most of my slideshows (more than 20), I work as evereybody does. I only used Excel for a very few number of slideshows :

1 Le jeu de Taquin

2 The 2 hubble's versions

3 two slides of Chantilly

4 Faintaisies florales and the cubes (including the test "Mise en boite")

All the other slideshows I did, even the more complex as Corsica you can find on Beechbrook, were made without any use of a tool as Excel or other even my last album photo which have been done without any tool. Everybody can do exactly the same without any calculation.

The only thing I did that very few people did : I always used objects in V4 and of course, with V5 it's easier for me and I always try to have the lighter slideshow for the highter quality in the files and I continue to do the same with V5.

I have spend more time to study and find solution to have smooth slideshow than to make Cube plus Hubble. I have spend, even for Fantaisies florales a lot of time, not to do calculations, but to use at the best PTE in order to run on all PC.

It's with this slideshow which doesn't work enough well on d67's PC that I search the reason and found some rules to have smoother slideshows (Fantaisies florales V3 run on most PC even old graphic cards with 32Mb memory).

The real reason which make me work as I do is that I am very patient in order to have the result I want, no more else and as many people, I think.

bob

install

http://www.globfx.com/products/swfplayer/

globfx player

ken

--------------------

"share your knowledge, the wheel has already been invented"

ken

pbyk@sympatico.ca

SARNIA ONTARIO CANADA

Thank you Ken. I just downloaded and installed globfx swfplayer. It exhibits same behavior on rotor blade.swf. That is, sound, but no picture. If I use the same installed swfplayer on TutReflect.swf, (was this Lin's also?), the result is a picture and sound! :huh:

The only thing I can think of is that possibly the IrfanView Plugins might not be current even if the latest IrfanView version is being used? That it plays on some but not all systems with the identical software is rather strange unless there is some possible incompatibility with a codec. I don't know enough about the internals of AVI to SWF conversion to know if the codec is even an issue. The originals are all done with the same software on each end so I suspect the issue might be with a plugin or corrupted file in the plugin which is affecting Flash 8. There are Flash versions from 3 to 9 presently floating around and it might be worth while to visit the Macromedia (Adobe) site and download the latest Flash player. It will take only seconds and it's virtually invisible but may have some component which is missing from this particular PC.

If you find a solution I would like to know what caused it...

Best regards,

Lin

Thank you Ken. I just downloaded and installed globfx swfplayer. It exhibits same behavior on rotor blade.swf. That is, sound, but no picture. If I use the same installed swfplayer on TutReflect.swf, (was this Lin's also?), the result is a picture and sound! :huh: