WnSoft Forums

Simple Zooming Tutorial

Ken Cox

if it is confusing why do people keep adding complaints to the tutorial thread ?????

-- common sense would be to complain in a new thread and not congest TUTORIALS SECTION any more

when a change is inserted the forum highlights that there is a new entry in TUTORIALS -- it should be a tuorial

I agree Dom's site is laid out the way we hope this forum will eventually look

IGOR AND CREW are working to get ver 5 finalized - do you want them to shut down all work and redo the forum ?

they have just instituted more moderators to keep ahead of the spam

I know what it is like when programmers are trying to write code - DO NOT DISTURB

WIDEANGLE

if a newcomer wants to know what the 'P' button next to the 'Customise Slide' button is for, how do they find out? A thread like this would not give a quick answer.

the tutorial section is not intended to do that -- they start a thread and ask which they have done many times in the past

so please remove the complaints etc from the tutorial section and place them elsewhere

ken B)

Sorry Ken,

It is not my intention to make an already confused situation worse.

I would not have described my post as a complaint, more constructive criticism.

I quote from my posting in the TUTORIAL thread-

”I, like Ron, had seen DaveG’s posting suggesting a single page of links to tutorials. I then, like Ron, had noticed the sudden appearance of a new section entitled TUTORIALS, which I assumed Ken had created in an effort to get Dave’s idea off the ground. In reading through this I followed the link to The Dom’s Tutorial page and simply commented that that, in my opinion, was laid out in the manner that such a central resource should be presented.

Ever since I became involved in using this fantastic software I have recognised that its most important resource is this forum and in particular, the major participants, none of whom I will mention by name but many of whom have been contributing to this thread.

There is no shortage of information – it is its access that is difficult and confusing. Not everybody has the same level of competence in recognising and remembering where all these gems are to be found as perhaps some people, who have grown up with the forum.

Any criticism I have made or implied is not done with any malice. I value my membership of this group far too highly for that. I simply wish to try to illustrate how I think others and I suspect, particularly new members, must feel in their first attempts to get to grips with this fantastic product. In case anyone should be under the illusion that I am taking on the mantle of a recently departed member then let me assure you that this is not my intention.

I do think that now is the time for someone, with experience, to take on the leadership that is desperately required if we are not going to allow the present confused state to develop into an even deeper morass.”

End Quote

One further comment I will make is that if it is not going to be possible to put in place an all encompassing facility such as TheDom’s site without involving Igor and his team (and I totally agree they have other important fish to fry at this time) then whatever temporary measure we have hopefully could be better than a string of individual posts. I may have got the wrong impression but that is what I understand you are proposing. Quite frankly (please don’t take offence) I found your initial post to be confusing in that it is simply a list of unidentified links. On the other hand, TheDom’s site breaks them down into categories and provides a brief description of the tutorial. Perhaps this is what you have in mind.

Finally I would take issue with you on your comment regarding WIDEANGLE’s comment. Surely it is better that anyone, newcomer or otherwise, searches the common resource for an appropriate tutorial first before placing a specific post. The best way to learn I suspect. Though, at the moment, you must agree, difficult to achieve.

Regards and thanks for your diligent input.

John

Sorry Ken

I too did not realise I could remove posts!

If I may just refer back to one aspect of my comment :

" If a newcomer wants to know what the 'P' button next to the 'Customise Slide' button is for, how do they find out? A thread like this would not give a quick answer."

........and your reply :

"the tutorial section is not intended to do that -- they start a thread and ask which they have done many times in the past ".

I was trying to reiterate a previous observation, that this forum, no matter how good (and it is very good), even with a possible collection of tutorials, will still not remove the need for a more detailed built-in help file.

Re. your answer that they create a thread: how can someone create a thread if they do not have internet access?? These are probably the users with the greatest frustrations!

PS :

What DOES the 'P' button do?!

WIDEANGLE- what focal length :)

in 4.48

the P signifies that the slide is modified -- ie text , fade music etc whatever you do to it

when you click it bottom left of screen at edge of monitor "Modified "pops up

now how are those users that dont have internet access going to read any of this ?:(

ken

Lin

Thanks for the very detailed response. That helps.

Ken

Thanks also, for your quick and useful reply.

"now how are those users that don't have internet access going to read any of this?"

That's my very point! They aren't going to be able to read any of this, so having bought the package, where are they going to get their help and support from? That's why a detailed built-in Help file for PTE HAS to be a necessity at some point, when time allows.

point taken

but

the last piece of pkg software i bought at a store winxp the manual was useless and we had to update the software right away

before that i bought nero 6.6 in a box as soon as it was out -- $100 and the manual was not the best - good thing i had previous experience

if you do not have access to the internet how are you ever going to update your software -- from your buddy that has an ISP?

ken

I would just like to add some comments to this thread. I certainly agree with the proposal that, ultimately it would be a good idea to have a tutorial reference section on the forum organized in the same way as Dom's site. I have mentioned this before to Igor but, as must be obvious, he has more important things to do at present. Also I agree with the idea that the program should either contain some comprehensive help information or there should be some associated help material, either in the form of video tutorials and/or in a pdf format.

When I first started to use PTE, I found the lack of help information initially a little disconcerting. However with the help of this excellent forum, I soon got up to speed. For my own benefit I wrote a pdf document dealing with the timeline functions and then thought that I should make it available to forum users. Also, when Version 5 first came out I wrote a follow up pdf document on the object and animation window controls. Other forum members have contributed other forms of help in the form of video tutorials etc. Much of this information has been kindly hosted by Dom on his site, but unless you know about it, it is not too easy to find, particularly if you are a beginner.

I am sure that when version 5 is complete, all this help material will be brought up to date. I have agreed to collaborate with my namesake Lin Evans regarding tutorial material and will be very happy to make this generally available. Maybe at that time, a dedicated forum topic (in a similar format to the other forum topic headings) can be created to provide links to this material. Maybe we can also persuade Igor to make reference to this topic page in the main program help data.

Jeff

WELL Dave you can delete anything you wrote in the tutorial section -- others have have deleted their comments as they see fit

at the present time this is the best we can do -- there are only so many hours in a day

I agree that Dom's layout is the ultimate

maybe Igor will pin the tutorial section so that the 10 +- moderators are the only ones to enter stuff.

ken

• 1 month later...

thks Ronnie

am going to try and move to the tutorial section

-- cant t do it

possibly you could repost to the tutorial section

or maybe Igor and company can move it

I managed to merge it to the tutorial section but it is not working correctly

guess Igor will have to straighjen things up :(

ken