WnSoft Forums

TempCD

boxig

TempCD

Since different CDs do not give the same performances, and usually any presentation will run better from the HD then from the CD, by using this utility the user will see your presentation more similar to the way you see it on your HD.

The utility will copy your presentation to the users Hard Drive to C:\Temp folder and run it from there and not from the CD. When user close your presentation, the utility will delete your presentation from the users Hard Drive.

Very easy to use:

Open "File.txt" and you'll see one first line: \YourFile.exe

Leave the \ as it is and write the name of your presentation. Example: if your presentation is "Flowers.exe", you write:

\Flower.exe

Let "autorun.inf" to open "TempCD.exe" instead of your presentation.

In the root of your CD you put these files:

1. Your presentation.

2. "TempCD.exe"

3. "File.txt"

4. "autorun.inf"

You can try it on your computer like this:

Follow all instructions and put all files instead on the CD, in any folder.

Run "TempCD.exe".

When on CD, the "autorun.inf" will run the "TempCD.exe".

If you want to see it working by your eyes, make a temporary slideshow of a small size (let's say 100x100). When you make the above test, open C:\Temp and you will see your presentation there. Now exit presentation and your exe in C:\Temp will be deleted.

Let us know how it works.

Please check my other over 60 (!) utilities and programs.

Granot:

This one is pretty cool, I think, for those w/older PCs who's CD drives are a bit slow for large shows. Providing this as an option on a PTE menu could be a useful option. Much easier than what I do now, which is advise in the readme that users should copy the show to their hard drive if they have problems w/performance.

Dana

• 2 weeks later...

I have a quick question about this utility. When I try to use it I set up everything as the instructions say, but I get a "can not find /autorun" error.

It may be something I am doing wrong, but I can't find the problem. I'm using a Pentium 4 2.53Ghz machine with 512Mb of Ram. I usually do not need the utility for my computer, but would like to use it to help on other machines. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

"can not find /autorun" error.

Hi Mike,

As it look like, the utility is looking for your autorun file and can't find it (I assume you try this in a folder on your Hard Drive). The utility is not suposed to look for the autorun, so it seems like you wrote in "File.txt" file the name of your autorun, since the utility is reading from this file, it is looking for the file and when can't find it, give you the "can not find.." message.

If this is not the case, write more details what you did.

Good luck

Granot

mikej998

Usually when you get the message of " Cannot Find ... etc" :

Most likely you have some sort incorrect spelling or path location of the file named in the AUTORUN.INF

Your INF is loading but does not know where or what to load ... Check all files for exact or correct spelling.

Well, you guys were right. My autorun did have an error. It is corrected now and looks as if it is working, but now I get "can not save to C:/temp" ???

The temp folder is definitely there but? I use Windows XP - any known problems with that?

Thanks,

Mike

Granot, out of curiosity I tried your TempCD utility with another SS maker (3D Album) but it won't run it...it seems that the EXE must be self contained, that is it can't have any required files/folders in addition to the EXE itself...it installs the EXE into the Temp folder but I then get a message that it is unable to run. The external folders created by 3D Album mostly contain user options for the recipient of the SS to choose from. And since it won't function it also can't delete itself from the Temp folder. However it works very nicely for its intended ap, PTE! Have you tried it on any other slide show makers? I bought a laptop last week with XP installed so when I pick it up tomorrow I'll try your handy little utilities out and see how they work with that OS. Thanks for all your hard work on these utes.

Jim in LA.

Hi Jim,

Yes, most of my utilities are for PTE users but most can be used for othe things too. As you said, TempCD copy one exe file (pte show) but can work with any file which does not need other files to work with.

Please let me know when you get your XP which of my utilities don't work on it.

Thanks

Granot

Granot...I've been playing with TEMP CD a bit more (still on Win98 machines) and I've discovered that it doesn't actually delete the show from the C Temp folder when I close it down...nor after a couple of shutdowns/reboots. Any ideas on this? Other than that though it works great and it will be a big help to those with older, slower computers that have problems digesting some slide shows on their CD drives. I'd like to get any ideas you may have on why it's not deleting properly as it can be tough explaining to Grannys etc that they have to go and delete certain files after they've finished watching...thanks and keep up the great work with the utilities.

Regards, Jim in LA

Hi Jim,

Thank you for all your checking, it really helps. So I made a new version of "TempCD" which will first change atributes of exe in C:\temp. Files copied from CD are usually "Readonly" files which sometimes can make problem in deleting. So now in the new version "Hidden" and "Readonly" files should be deleted too. Please check it now and let me know. If it will still not work, we will have to see if other members have same problem and find the cause. I use win98 too.

The new version is only on my site:

New Version of "TempCD"

I also combined two utilities, "TempCD" with "SearchCD" (or actually added the "TempCD" function to "SearchCD"). You can find this improved beta version at the bottom of this page:

http://www.thailandphotoalbum.com/SearcCD.html

Thanks again,

Granot

Granot,

I have downloaded your updated TempCD utility and tried it. I am running Windows XP and had troubles with the original version of the utility. The new version still has trouble ( I assume it's with XP) but now it does something else. I made a CD and when placed in the computer, after a few seconds it opens MY COMPUTER looking at the files on the CD. It does not do anything else. If I click on TempCD here it does it's thing perfectly. I have not tried the CD I made on the XP machine on one with a different version of Windows yet, but hope to soon. I have tried it on a second XP computer and got the same results.

It may just not work on XP, but I really hope it can, it's exactly what I need.

Thanks,

Mike

mikej998,

Just a thought :

What is the content you labeled within your Autorun.inf file ?

If your also using any icon labeling :

[icon]=

remove that line of labeling from the inf file as a test.

Note:

If you just use the [icon] = ... and not ... [open]= :

this will open the CD just to a "browse contents' view as you seem to indicate. So maybe if you included any labeling [icon]= ... this may be causing your issue.

Just use the [open]= labeling as a test.

The autorun.inf file is exactly as follows:

[autorun]

open=TempCd.exe

This is the same format I use to run just the slideshow.exe and do not have any problem with it there. I have not heard any feedback from anyone else using XP, so I'm beginning to think it's just an XP compatability issue.

Thanks,

Mike

Mike,

Maybe you forgot to write what's needed on the "File.txt" file and include it too ?

On the other hand, it can be XP problem, unless some members with XP will tell us they could make it work.

I hope also you are using my last version where I fixed a bug. This one is to download only from my site.

Let me know how it's going.

Thanks

Granot