WnSoft Forums

Can't Display Photoshopped Pictures ?

KGHalbe

I didn't put this in the BUG section, because it is probably something that I am doing wrong (human error), as opposed to a bug. If it turns out to be a bug, either a mod can move this message, or I will repost it in the bug section. Also, if I turns out to be a bug, I will be surprised as I still think I must be doing something wrong !

I was trying to do something with my PTE Version 5 Build 10, and was having problems. I upgraded to the newest version of PTE from the website, and am still having problems. (I know it is probably me, but not sure what I am doing wrong)

I have a color picture - called ORIGINAL. I loaded it into Photoshop 7.0, and cropped it, then saved it as "color_cropped.jpg".

I then took that file, and removed the color, leaving me with a black & white picture. I saved this as "B&W.jpg".

I then applied a sketch filter (to make it look like a drawing), and saved it as "drawing.jpg".

I then loaded them into PTE to display in the following order:

. "Drawing.jpg", "B&W.jpg", and then "color_cropped.jpg"

No pictures displayed. If I put the "color_cropped.jpg" first, that would display, but the other two would not.

I am trying to have the display go from a drawing, blending into a black and white photo, blending into the color picture.

I have tried it with the Hardware Acceleration both, checked and unchecked. That makes no difference.

Does anyone know what I am doing wrong ? Why won't it work ?

Thanks in advance,

KGHalbe

..............No pictures displayed. If I put the "color_cropped.jpg" first, that would display, but the other two would not.

I am trying to have the display go from a drawing, blending into a black and white photo, blending into the color picture.

I have tried it with the Hardware Acceleration both, checked and unchecked. That makes no difference.

Hi, KG,

How have you set up the show? Do you by any chance have the option "Stop at the end of the show" checked in "Customize slide"?

If you wish you can send me your project files and I'll have a look. You can zip them up in the "File" menu ("Create backup in zip"). My email address is alrobin @ alrobinson.com (remove the spaces).

Thanks Al !

I just checked and I do not have the "Stop at the end of the slide" checked.

I am beginning to think that it MAY be a bug, because I have already had a message from Igor asking me to send him the files, which I have done.

I want to thank you for the reply, but will hold off on sending the file to you because of the fact that it may be a bug. If you do want the file anyway, just let me know and I will send it to you also. I just don't know if you want to spend time on this problem, if Igor is already looking at it for me.

Let me know if you still want the file, and once again, thank you for your reply and offer.

KGHalbe

Hi KG,

There's something wrong with one of your files, it's not a bug. I just duplicated this procedure and it works perfectly. Try renaming the B&W file to bw (drop the ampersand) and loose the _ on the color_cropped.jpg and see if that helps.

Here's a sample.

http://www.lin-evans.net/pte/yotes.zip

Best regards,

Lin

I didn't put this in the BUG section, because it is probably something that I am doing wrong (human error), as opposed to a bug. If it turns out to be a bug, either a mod can move this message, or I will repost it in the bug section. Also, if I turns out to be a bug, I will be surprised as I still think I must be doing something wrong !

I was trying to do something with my PTE Version 5 Build 10, and was having problems. I upgraded to the newest version of PTE from the website, and am still having problems. (I know it is probably me, but not sure what I am doing wrong)

I have a color picture - called ORIGINAL. I loaded it into Photoshop 7.0, and cropped it, then saved it as "color_cropped.jpg".

I then took that file, and removed the color, leaving me with a black & white picture. I saved this as "B&W.jpg".

I then applied a sketch filter (to make it look like a drawing), and saved it as "drawing.jpg".

I then loaded them into PTE to display in the following order:

. "Drawing.jpg", "B&W.jpg", and then "color_cropped.jpg"

No pictures displayed. If I put the "color_cropped.jpg" first, that would display, but the other two would not.

Does anyone know what I am doing wrong ? Why won't it work ?

Thanks in advance,

KGHalbe

I have tried this using PS CS2 and have found no problems. I can load all three images into PTE and they all display. Regarding DaveG's comment about the use of gray scale, once you have converted an image to gray scale, you have discarded the colour information and it cannot be retrieved although you can still tick the RGB box.

Hi KG,

I made a sequence about 18 months ago which started with a blank (white canvas( image and then built up a drawing in sections as though someone was actually sketching it. Then I added tones to the image going from b/w to colour, again in stages to look as though it was being painted.

All the images began life as a single photo and I used Photoshop7 to do all the manipulation. The sequence was made using an early version of PTE 4 (I can't remember which but it could have been 4.3) and has been re-made in 4.48 and 5 (beta5) all without any problem.

Keith

Hi Dave,

I did mine with CS but I do have PS7 so I can try it and see if it makes a difference.

Lin

Lin & Jeff,

Are you using PS7?

It was a problem peculiar to PS7.

I can repeat the procedure in CS2 and get the same result as you - it's PS7 which is possibly the culprit.

DaveG

Hi Dave,

I used Cs2 and no longer have PS7 installed. Wait and see what Lin's experiment produces. Be very surprised if it is a bug in PTE.

Jeff

I think I remember having this problem with PS7 - If you converted to B&W by changing the MODE to Greyscale then you will need to change back to RGB BEFORE saving as a JPEG.

Try it - it might work.

DaveG

I tried it, and it DID WORK !!!

Thanks alot.

I know I have done this method before, but never under 5.x and I don't remember which version of Photoshop I had at the time, but it did work previously.

To everyone else who offered suggestions - Thank You !

I don't frequent this forum much, but when I do, I seem to get some good information and excellent help when needed. Thanks to everyone who took the time to offer suggestions.

KGHalbe

Dave,

Amazed! Without your help I couldn't solve this problem!

Please say me - this problem happened only with grayscaled JPEGs saved in Photoshop 7 or with later versions, too?

And this bug occured in v5.00 only or in v4.48, too?

Hi Igor,

I just repeated his process in Photoshop 7 without any problems. I suspect that the issue was with one of the files.

My workflow was open a color image in photoshop 7, desaturate, adjust contrast and brightness on the desaturated image, save the desaturated image under a different filename, open filters, choose sketch, choose "photocopy" desaturate the photocopy which for whatever reason picked up color from the desaturated image, save the sketch.

load sketch, desaturated then color image in PTE and apply fade to each. No problem.

Perhaps he could load one file at a time and see if which one is a problem then possibly recreate the process using different file names.

No problem with my Photoshop 7 and this.

Lin

Dave,

Please say me - this problem happened only with grayscaled JPEGs saved in Photoshop 7 or with later versions, too?

And this bug occured in v5.00 only or in v4.48, too?

Lin,

I also was not able reproduce this problem even with EXE file KGHalbe sent me.

By the way, using of "Desaturate" action in Photoshop to make grayscale image give not perfect result. Because it just removes color information without analyse of color components. Green, Red and Blue colors have different brightness in our eye. So true converting color image to grayscale should know about this moment and sets different brightness. It's interesting, but calling "Grayscale" option and then back "RGB" will do correct converting to grayscale image.

Please look on attached screenshot:

post-1-1181851509_thumb.jpg

p.s. PixBuilder Studio performs correct converting to grayscale image.

The greyscale function in CS2 is pretty good too - maybe even slightly more contrasty (see comparison between Igor's example and the conversion in PS attached).

Igor's: post-215-1181856280.jpg

PS: post-215-1181856299.jpg

Dave,

<snip>

First, let me congratulate Igor on his absolute honesty! There aren't too many who would be this honest with their subscribers. In fact most programmers make it very difficult to get any sort of answer. I am impressed!

Now, converting RGB images to black&white. I do this frequently, both for my camera club competitions, and also to make color transitions in my shows. I use a free (donation requested if you like) Photoshop plugin from:

http://www.photo-plugins.com/

Their b/w converter is the most downloaded plug-in from that site, among many others.

It gives the choice of emulation a number of different BW films, plus the ability to tailor any combination of RGB and CMY colors to produce almost any BW rendition you like. When loaded into PS, it appears under 'Filters' and is basically a 'one-click' operation.

Colin

The issue isn't with one of the files as I have 172 files that all seem to act the same way, if I perform the same routine I did in Photoshop.

The issue now appears to be the way I converted to black and white. When I used mode, and selected black and white, and left it in that mode, no edits after that would show. Once I changed the mode from black and white to RGB again, (although the picture remained greyscale), and saved it, PTE displayed it correctly.

The actual filenames did not have the special characters in them. I just used that in the description for the sake of clarity.

From reading some other ways to convert to greyscale (desaturate), I realize that my way may not be the best (it probably isn't). I am not as graphic oriented as most people on here. I just knew how to get the picture in the condition I wanted, and it worked up until the time I took it into PTE.

I am truly amazed that I received so much help on this problem, and I have learned a bit in the process. And, it was a real surprise when Igor got involved and spent time on it. This is proof of his dedication to us PTE users.

Thank you everyone.

KGHalbe

Igor,

I only remember this problem being with PS7 and V4.48 (also, I think, with Powerpoint?).

I am not absolutely sure that Lin is talking the same technique as I was, in terms of the conversion to B&W.

The equivalent in CS2 is changing the MODE from RGB to Greyscale - not desaturating. Not having PS7 any more I can't remember if it is the same thing?

With regard to B&W Conversions this month's Digital Photo contains a PDF on various methods.

In addition Russell Brown's method and some of the techniques in Michael Freeman's Book on B&W are worth investigating.

I use the last two mentioned most of the time.

DaveG

Hi Dave,

Since the original post didn't specify "how" the images were changed to B&W I only tried desaturate in Photoshop 7 which doesn't actually affect the RGB status. Choosing "mode" does affect RGB and that creates a file in PS7 not compatible with present jpg protocol standards. This is not surprising, but what is important is that it's an easy fix and also that it should be made a known caveat in case PTE users have Photoshop 7 as their image editor.

Thanks for pointing out the issue.

Best regards,

Lin

Igor,

I only remember this problem being with PS7 and V4.48 (also, I think, with Powerpoint?).

I am not absolutely sure that Lin is talking the same technique as I was, in terms of the conversion to B&W.

The equivalent in CS2 is changing the MODE from RGB to Greyscale - not desaturating. Not having PS7 any more I can't remember if it is the same thing?

With regard to B&W Conversions this month's Digital Photo contains a PDF on various methods.

In addition Russell Brown's method and some of the techniques in Michael Freeman's Book on B&W are worth investigating.

I use the last two mentioned most of the time.

DaveG