WnSoft Forums

New Year Resolution

stonemason

How about a New Year resolution for everyone here namely not to copy and paste everything that someone has written, before giving your answer/opinion. Some of the posts on the forum consist of 30% information and 70% quotation, and perhaps it's my grumpy old man side but I find it's turns reading otherwise interesting threads into a very tedious business.

Grump over very Happy New Year to all.

Geoff

How about a New Year resolution for everyone here namely not to copy and paste everything that someone has written, before giving your answer/opinion. Some of the posts on the forum consist of 30% information and 70% quotation, and perhaps it's my grumpy old man side but I find it's turns reading otherwise interesting threads into a very tedious business.

Grump over very Happy New Year to all.

This counts as a second heartfelt vote!!

DaveG

I COMPLETELY AGREE WITH YOU GUYS

What a waste of time 'unnecessary Quoting' really is ~ Besides causing confusion

with an important Topic, it very often destroys the 'topic-thread' and contributors

tend to wander Off-Topic with items bearing no relevance what so ever to the Topic

under discussion.

Perhaps the "Attachment" to this post might just point Members in the right direction.

"Alternative"..Simply 'Hi-light' the sentence of interest in a Post with the LH.Mouse Button,

then RH.Clk the 'Hi-light' --> select Copy --> then go to your Reply, RH.Clk anywhere in

your reply and Paste in the copied quotation.

Brian.Conflow.

post-1416-1199466161_thumb.jpg

I don't find the inclusion of quotes nearly as obtrusive or awkward as others responding to this thread. Brian's suggestion may help ease the angst but sometimes the person responding wants to keep their comments in context of the original text. If a lengthy quote bothers me I just scroll on. Sorry, I just don't see it as being that big of a deal.

I'm with you all the way on this! I accept that there are times when a quote of some kind is a useful way to set ones own reply into proper context. Unfortunately, too often the entire previous post is quoted with no real benefit.

When it comes to using PTE we have Lin and Jeff's excellent PTE v5 User Guide. But I'm not aware of anything similar on "How to get the most out of this forum". Is what we are really identifying, a need for such a User Guide?

Bruce and Peter,

In replying to Post on the Forum I think that many Members 'inadvertently' hit the

nearest Reply Button which of course 'Copies & Quotes' the origional Post entirely.

This is a bone of contention with many Members and of course we must also respect

those who wish to keep the origional Post intact so not to extract 'text' from context.

This was the reason I included a simple 'Instructional Attachment' in my last Post,this

offers simple choices from a pictorial diagram.

But I do agree with Peter, there should be a simple 'Instruction Sheet' available to all

which explains how to use the fetures of this 'Invision Board' thus making our Forum

a lot more efficient and user friendly. A 'PDF Button added to the top Buttons would do.

Brian.

I don't have a Grumpy bone in my body...but I agree. Knock it off! Don't you know that excessive copy and paste causes arthritis? Probably some other bad stuff too!

I don't think we need an instruction sheet on how to do fancy stuff. Otherwise people will just do it. A simple "Reply" is SO easy! Even I can do it! Conflow's little picture above is great--and enough.

(There. That outta be worth a nickel!)

jk

Uncontrolled quoting can be a pain, but you can edit the quoted text to remove unnecessary wordage.

Properly done, quoting can remove the need to scroll backwards to re-read what is being commented on; sometimes in a popular thread one has to go back several posts, or even to a previous page.

I am in favor of selective quoting. But quoting the whole post could be a sign of laziness, or perhaps not realizing editing can be done.

Colin

Uncontrolled quoting can be a pain, but you can edit the quoted text to remove unnecessary wordage.

......<SNIP>.....

I am in favor of selective quoting.

I agree with Colin. :)

PS Happy New Year to all on this forum.