WnSoft Forums

Virus? Latest Beta 5.7 - reported by Trend Micro

ADB

Hello Igor

I'm sure it isn't but thought you best know just in case someone has hacked the Wnsoft site. When downloading the latest PicturesToExe Beta 5.7 Trend Micro Internet Security (My virus checker) is reporting that the file contains a virus. See attached screen dump.

I'm thinking/hoping its an over zealous Virus Pattern update by Trend Micro but you can never be too sure, the other possible alternative is that you have been "hacked"

Let me know if you need additional information.

Regards

post-43-1209553312_thumb.jpg

Hi Dave

I downloaded last night for my laptop and no problems, but I also downloaded for my desktop this evening when I got the warning. There was a pattern update from Trend Micro between the two downloads. So I'm hoping its something in the pattern rather than the download file itself.

Andrew,

Of course, no viruses in that file. I check up files with an antivirus before publishing. Then I check up file with another antivirus later at home.

It should be false detection. Or probably the file was infected already after downloading?

Xaver

I'm using pattern 5.247.50 Engine 8.700.1004

Igor

This morning, tried to download beta 5.8 but still recieved virus warning. Thought must be something on my system so tried a few other files from different sites but no virus found.

I'll send an email to Trend Micro for what it is worth and maybe they can check their pattern.

Regards

I ran the Beta 5.8 through VirusTotal.com as suggested by Jim, two of the checkers had issues with the file (see screen dump attached).

Tendmicro realeased another pattern today 5.249.50 I was hoping this would solve the issue but Trend Micro Internet Security stills detects the download as a virus.

I have a comprehensive report into Trend Micro with links to this thread and download file and await their response but their website says I should expect a repy within 48 hours.

If anybody else is running Trend Micro INTERNET SECURITY 2007 would be good to know if similar alerts are being received.

I am confident there isn't a virus and this is a Trend Micro issue, I'll post the response from Trend Micro when received.

Cheers

post-43-1209629814_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

It is has almost been a month since I reported that Trend Micro Internet Security was detecting PTE as a virus.

I am pleased to say, as I knew all along, Trend Micro was false detecting a virus.

Its great to get this sorted from my perspective but I could not believe the run arounds I received from Trend Micro. I must have had email correspondence with 15 seperate staff. It seems each time I emailed back advising their solution didn't work someone else would pick up the problem usually on a whole different tangent until I went full circle. It was only during the last few days and after some increasingly frustrated emails that the problem appears to have been fixed by Trend Micro but I can't be sure as my last reply to Trend Micro (which contained evidence that there was no way PTE could contain a virus) never received a reply and I have never received a response advising they have fixed the problem either.

I just felt like I was a very small fish in a very big corporate tank and even though their emails were filled with words like "thank you, patience, sorry, inconvenience, sincerely" they just didn't get the issue from day one and never followed a constructive, progressive process to identify the fault and fix it.

This event was so frustrating it almost made me change my Virus checker but I have to be fair and say apart from this issue I find Trend Micro as a product - Fantastic, usually effective, very low overhead and has saved my computer from infection on many occassions.

This whole process has taught me don't give up. I know Igor was also talking to Trend Micro and maybe his efforts were more productive than mine but I will never know as Trendmicro have advised nothing.

Andrew,

I apologize that it took so much your time! It should be our job in solving such problems.

Thank you for all your efforts and help!

Hi Igor

No need to apologize, Trend Micro should have picked up this problem way sooner than it did and from your perspective I think it relates only to a certain type of Trend Micro Product and within that only those edditions downloaded in Australia/NZ (at least that is what I am guessing).

For your information though the virus checker seemed to be over zealous in the area of unpacking the ZIP file into the EXE file and TXT files for some reason this was the behaviour that incorrectly triggered a warning from info I gathered from the Trend Micro site glossary of detections.

Cheers