WnSoft Forums

Starting a show in the middle

cgbraggjr

Is there any way to go to a given slide in an EXE show when loading the EXE? In other words, can I start a show on slide 13 or 22 or 1? I can see menus for this in a DVD, but can't locate anything in the manual (5.1) about menus that link to specific slides or any other way to accomplish this.

Thanx - Argo

Hello Argonaut,

For an exe-show you can try the following:

1. Start your show with a black image or any other one.
  2. Place big transparent frames on top of this slide (non-overlapping). Use positions you will remember!
  3. For each frame specify an "Action on mouse click": Go to slide number ... 13 or 22 or 31 or 45 ...

While the first slide shows up you have the option to go to the specified fixed positions inside the show.

Best regards,

Xaver

Munich

Thanks Igor - that command option worked perfectly. In case anyone cares, the reason I asked is because I'm doing a huge program (1 1/2 hours long), essentially a lecture with illustrations and musical snippets, and if the show must be interrupted, or someone pulls the power plug on me, I want to be able to restart without going through dozens of slides again. So, Thanks!!

Xaver, I like your solution but need more flexibility on picking the slide number. Command line works better in this case.

If you want to run a new slideshow from 7th slide, type:

Slideshow.exe -slide 7

Pardon my naiveté (Luddite-ness), but where does one type this command line ?

Hello JRR,

There are several ways to run a command.

Method 1. You go to: Start menu > run, then type the command including the (absolute) path information (e.g. c:\Folder1\Folder2\...\SlideShow.exe -slide 7)

Method 2. Write the the same command into an empty text file (using notepad), call it "Start". Change the file extension from txt to bat. Double-click Start.bat. If Start.bat is located in the same folder as SlideShow.exe you can omit the path information.

Best regards,

Xaver H.

Munich

We often forget that we have a "command prompt". Sometimes this works best by simply going to the command prompt and typing in the "command" then pressing "Enter" as:

C:\> slideshow.exe -slide 4

With some systems doing the command from the "start" "run" doesn't work all the time.

Lin

quote name='JRR' date='Jun 11 2008, 12:19 PM' post='54150']

Thx Xavier

I thought it might be that, but I wasn't sure

Better to ask than......

We often forget that we have a "command prompt". Sometimes this works best by simply going to the command prompt and typing in the "command" then pressing "Enter" as:

C:\> slideshow.exe -slide 4

Of course, you can use any command line tool (cmd.exe, command.com, powershell, ...). The command "C:\> slideshow.exe -slide 4" will only work if slideshow.exe is located in in the root. Otherwise, the path has to be included into the command, or the directory has to be changed to the one which contains the slide show.

Best regards,

Xaver

Munich