WnSoft Forums

For Newbie's - Animations You Can Do With PTE

Lin Evans

Lin,

I've never tried to do any of your style of presentation (perspective frames, reflections, etc.). But if I was to try, I would have expected the reflection to be achieved by taking the "right way up" component images into Photoshop and flipping them - and then controlling their opacity when added back into PTE. Or is there more to it than that?

Hi Peter,

Yes, unfortunately much more to it. The difficulty with animating something moving in the opposite direction has to do with the use of layers and transparency. Visible movement in a single direction on only part of an image is possible because of the masking effect of the non transparent part of the main png image layer which the reflection shares with the main image. To animate the reflection without interference from the main animation would require that the reflection consist of an independent PNG object and that it would float above it's own matching background which to complete the illusion would necessarily have to comprise the bottom half of the visible background perfectly matched to make a seamless connect with identical but reverse gradiation with the present background. This is not an "impossible" task but not really feasible without hours of trial and error matching and positioning. Perhaps some day I may attempt it, but then it wouldn't be much of a draw for newbies because to do it would require a most thorough understanding of PTE, Photoshop and Xara Xtreme where the original "reflection" image was created.

Think of it this way. You create a "sandwitch". You have two pieces of very thin bread which are identical. You cut a hole in the top piece but when the two pieces are perfectly aligned on top of one another you can't tell that a hole exists in the top piece because the bottom piece being identical shows through the hole.

You place some thin but long strips of carrots extending above and below the bread in between and someone pulls the parts which extend below the two pieces of bread downward creating "carrot strip" movement through the "window" of the hole cut in the top piece of bread. Now if someone were to pull some of the pieces from the top upward at the same time other pieces were pulled downward you would have interference in the direction of animation with some carrot strips moving upward while others move downward. Even if you added a third piece of bread underneath with a hole in the second layer to allow things visible between the second and third layer, you would still see movement in the opposite direction because the "window" of the top layer couldn't reveal the bottom most layer without revealing what was happening between the top and second layer.

So to make it work you would need two more pieces of bread lying below the first two. The carrot strips moving downward between the upper (non reflected) pieces of bread would have to move "under" both bottom (reflected) pieces to be invisible while pieces moving upward on the bottom or "reflect" bread would have to move under both top pieces to be invisible through the hole in the top bread thus "splitting" layers, something not presently possible with PTE, Photoshop or other known software.

Best regards,`

Lin

Lin,

I've never tried to do any of your style of presentation (perspective frames, reflections, etc.). But if I was to try, I would have expected the reflection to be achieved by taking the "right way up" component images into Photoshop and flipping them - and then controlling their opacity when added back into PTE. Or is there more to it than that?

...The carrot strips moving downward between the upper (non reflected) pieces of bread would have to move "under" both bottom (reflected) pieces to be invisible while pieces moving upward on the bottom or "reflect" bread would have to move under both top pieces to be invisible through the hole in the top bread thus "splitting" layers, something not presently possible with PTE, Photoshop or other known software.

Hello Lin,

in your example you could apply (in principle at least) the technique of Jean-Pierre (JPD) from "Dis, la nostalgie": Cut the falling water into horizontal stripes and switch them off when they are no longer needed.

Best regards,

Xaver

Munich

Unfortunately it won't work in this manner for this animation because the falling water is one single PNG file so cutting it off would not only affect what was below the visible window but what was yet to come - LOL.

Best regards,

Lin

Hello Lin,

in your example you could apply (in principle at least) the technique of Jean-Pierre (JPD) from "Dis, la nostalgie": Cut the falling water into horizontal stripes and switch them off when they are no longer needed.

Best regards,

Xaver

Munich

... the falling water is one single PNG file ...

Hi,

the falling water should consist of 20 - 30 separate (disjoint) files, like the image inside of JPD's frame, each one to be switched transparent after passing the surface of the lake.

Best regards,

Xaver

Munich

Perhaps you could create such an animation and show us? The way it works best for me and for an explanation for the purpose of the demo (for newbies) is not to over complicate a simple thing. The purpose is to show new users how to make a simple animation. 20 to 30 separate files would not be so simple would it? LOL Besides, there is an easier way of doing it than using 20 or 30 separate files but it requires making a duplicate PNG reflection with its own mask - this would mean that the new user would have to understand Photoshop or other software to create the necessary files rather than simply use the template available for Xara Xtreme. There are always alternative ways of animating water or snow effects but trial and error over several years have shown me the easiest and best ways for doing it realistically and easily.

Later - on reflection, I don't think it's probable to make a realistic waterfall using 20 or 30 discrete files at all. Nor is is possible to do it the way I suggested as "easier" because no matter how many layers are used it's still necessary to have a transparency on each side (top and bottom). Having multiple files means that each file has to have a start and a stop (disappear) position and that to make it realistic the animation would have to be already running before being made visible. Each tiny file would have to fit perfectly under the file above and they would all have to move in unison like a train pulling many railroad cars. Then each would have two keyframes separated by a tiny bit of time to switch from whatever opacity was chosen for the animation to zero opacity when reaching the lake. Beside the obvious issues of coordinating these files they would necessarily have to be very short in the vertical direction, seamlessly joined and synchronized. For an animation such as the one I displayed it would be far more trouble and require far more time to create than worthwhile. I have created some very complex animations with precise timings which took several days to work out but having a reverse animation on the reflection is just not feasible. The reflection is dim, faded and better to have perhaps a "glimmer" of animation provided by a circular or round "spinning" wheel of water animation which would suffice to simulate falling water rather than try to create the complexity of multiple animated files appearing and disappearing with precise timings.

This is all, of course, off topic and confusing to a newbie who only wants to make a simple animation which takes moments rather than days. I think the way I did this one is suitable for its purpose, realistic and easy to accomplish.

Best regards,

Lin

Hi,

the falling water should consist of 20 - 30 separate (disjoint) files, like the image inside of JPD's frame, each one to be switched transparent after passing the surface of the lake.

Best regards,

Xaver

Munich

Hello,

As I mentioned above, I only wanted to point out that the said problem could be solved in principle, using the ideas of JPD, who actually cut a picture into 45 pieces which were animated simultaneously; in his case to realize a zoom in a window having a moving background.

By the way, last weekend I attended a workshop led by a German expert on diaporamas. Here, examples of Werbrouck, Bidouze, Coles, Bateman, and others were presented. Having this in mind I ask myself if the problems of making good slide shows find their solutions in technical finesse. ;)

Best regards

Xaver

Munich

Hi Xaver,

Yes, in principle it could be a solution for the reflection, but probably not worth the time it would take to implement it.

I suspect that there is a combination of both technical finesse and artistic expression involved in makeing good slideshows but probably it's more important to have the artistic talent if the purpose of the slideshow is to move the audience. All the technical finesse in the world would be wasted unless the creator of the show was able to achieve the end purpose. Most who are really serious about slideshows probably don't spend much time with animations. A huge body of superior slideshows were made long before we had the ability to introduce motion into our shows but the younger audience is perhaps more technically inclined and for many of them, having the knowledge to manipulate their images in new and innovative ways seems to be important. As they mature in years they probably will be less interested in the novelty of animation and more interested in artistic content and expression.

On the other hand when someone has both talents such as Jean-Pierre, the end product can be very attractive indeed!

Best regards,

Lin

Hello,

As I mentioned above, I only wanted to point out that the said problem could be solved in principle, using the ideas of JPD, who actually cut a picture into 45 pieces which were animated simultaneously; in his case to realize a zoom in a window having a moving background.

By the way, last weekend I attended a workshop led by a German expert on diaporamas. Here, examples of Werbrouck, Bidouze, Coles, Bateman, and others were presented. Having this in mind I ask myself if the problems of making good slide shows find their solutions in technical finesse. ;)

Best regards

Xaver

Munich

I suspect that there is a combination of both technical finesse and artistic expression involved in makeing good slideshows but probably it's more important to have the artistic talent if the purpose of the slideshow is to move the audience. All the technical finesse in the world would be wasted unless the creator of the show was able to achieve the end purpose. Most who are really serious about slideshows probably don't spend much time with animations. A huge body of superior slideshows were made long before we had the ability to introduce motion into our shows but the younger audience is perhaps more technically inclined and for many of them, having the knowledge to manipulate their images in new and innovative ways seems to be important. As they mature in years they probably will be less interested in the novelty of animation and more interested in artistic content and expression.

Well put Lin. :)

Forgot to say in last post----

Great waterfall Lin, thanks again.

Hi Ray,

I'll see if I can put something together later this week. Meanwhile here's another:

http://www.picturestoexe.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=8458

Lin

Hi Lin,

Very nice waterfall and I love waterfalls, think I will have to get this program.

any chance of Tutorial on how its done.

All tha best Ray

Hi Ray,

I have the waterfall simulation tutorial ready (about 69 meg) and am putting it up now. It also contains the PNG file called "snow5.png" which you will want to use to simulate the falling water as explained in the tutorial.

Best regards,

Lin

Hi Lin,

Thanks for that they are just Fantastic and love to hear the sound of Falling water.

Great stuff.

Ray

Hi Lin,

Quite effective and simillar to others you have shared with us in the past (one showing rainfall on a pier and another showing snow falling?).

If you kept the effect to a 'square-on/full screen' image there would be no need to worry about the reflection at all. That would silence those who just seem to want to pick up on the smallest flaw when they should just appreciate your examples for what they are - examples of what can be achieved with a little thought and careful planning.

Look forward to seeing your next endeavours - how about salmon leaping back up the falls (now there's a challenge).

Keith

Xaver,

A state of silence would not be good for the forum. That was not the point I was trying to make, far from it. The forum is one of the best things about PTE and under no circumstances should it be silenced. All I was trying to say was that despite the efforts of Lin and others who post some terrific examples for us all to enjoy and learn from, there always seem to be some people that just want to find fault. I'd just like them to maybe consider and appreciate the work that has been put in by Lin etc, a bit more before they start picking. That's all.

By the way, have you seen Lin's latest example? It's a masterpiece.

Keith

• 2 weeks later...
.... The carrot strips moving downward between the upper (non reflected) pieces of bread would have to move "under" both bottom (reflected) pieces to be invisible while pieces moving upward on the bottom or "reflect" bread would have to move under both top pieces to be invisible through the hole in the top bread thus "splitting" layers, something not presently possible with PTE, Photoshop or other known software ...

Hi Lin,

I think that your "carrot strips problem" could easily be solved if we had clipping frames (see here) or mask objects (see here, proposed by thedom) in PTE. By the way, a similar feature is contained in Wings Platinum (Bildfeld-Clipping). Constructions like the zoom in a window with moving background (as shown in "Dis, La Nostalgie" by JPD) could be realized without much effort, as well.

Best regards,

Xaver

Munich

Hi Xaver,

It appears that this might definitely be a solution. I believe that this masking is planned for a future PTE version so we may soon know!

Best regards,

Lin

Hi Lin,

I think that your "carrot strips problem" could easily be solved if we had clipping frames (see here) or mask objects (see here, proposed by thedom) in PTE. By the way, a similar feature is contained in Wings Platinum (Bildfeld-Clipping). Constructions like the zoom in a window with moving background (as shown in "Dis, La Nostalgie" by JPD) could be realized without much effort, as well.

Best regards,

Xaver

Munich