WnSoft Forums

Image Load Error then crash 5.5

PeterMcG

Hi,

I just purchased 5.5 PTE deluxe a few days ago and have been having a lot of problems with it on my Vista computer.

Here's what's been happening recently:

I open PTE and start to edit my slide show which is now at about 900 slides of about 5MB each. After about three minutes of editing I start getting Image Load errors and then the program disappears. When I reload, the images that wouldn't load before load fine and then the same error creeps in with new pictures and then PTE crashes.

I've got 2GB RAM and a Q6600 Intel chip. Nvida video.

I am NOT running SP1. I am running Vista Business 32 bit.

Any tips on where to start troubleshooting? I'm disappointed so far with my purchase as I was hoping to work on putting together a slide show instead of troubleshooting.

My guess is that I'm overloading the program. 900 x 5mb is about 4 GB plus. I created a slide show and it was 3.39 GB.

Thanks in advance for anyone's help!

Peter McG

Hi,

I just purchased 5.5 PTE deluxe a few days ago and have been having a lot of problems with it on my Vista computer.

Here's what's been happening recently:

I open PTE and start to edit my slide show which is now at about 900 slides of about 5MB each. After about three minutes of editing I start getting Image Load errors and then the program disappears. When I reload, the images that wouldn't load before load fine and then the same error creeps in with new pictures and then PTE crashes.

I've got 2GB RAM and a Q6600 Intel chip. Nvida video.

I am NOT running SP1. I am running Vista Business 32 bit.

Any tips on where to start troubleshooting? I'm disappointed so far with my purchase as I was hoping to work on putting together a slide show instead of troubleshooting.

My guess is that I'm overloading the program. 900 x 5mb is about 4 GB plus. I created a slide show and it was 3.39 GB.

Thanks in advance for anyone's help!

Peter McG

You're probably right about overloading. 4.5 GB is a lot for a computer with only 2 GB of memory, and with Vista taking a huge chunk of that, not much is left for your show. If that 5MB is for jpeg images, then it's even worse, as that implies >20MB images when in memory.

You don't need such big images either. They should be sized at whatever the screen size of projector size is in pixels, typically 1024*768 or a bit bigger if you are using a 16:9 format. Images to be zoomed can be about twice the pixel size to allow for zooming, but otherwise there is nothing to be gained from having bigger images than the final projection size. A 1024*768 image is only about 786KB, compressed to around 150KB as a jpeg, about 1/50th of your 5MB (presumed jpeg) images.

Do a batch resize in Irfanview and see what happens then.

Colin

Hi Peter,

Yes, you are way exceeding your available resources. First, there is no need to have five megabyte slides except in the rare case when you are doing a deep zoom on a slide and will need to zoom to 1:1 on it. For optimal shows, there is no need for the slides to exceed the display resolution of the device you will be displaying slides on. If your monitor is a 4 megapixel model, then having a slide larger than four megapixel is wasting resources. If the monitor or display device is two megapixels then you don't need anything larger than a two megapixel image, again, unless you are doing a deep zoom on a few images.

Second - 900 images in a single show is way beyond the limits of propriety. If you allotted only six seconds each your slideshow would be 90 minutes long! It would be prudent to break it down into shows with no more than a maximum of a couple hundred slides per show.

PTE will give you wonderful results but you are pushing your hardware way beyond the limits. When a show gets above two gigabytes its unruly and very few computers will load a single file larger than two gigabytes so you would have to limit distribution to only those with resources capable of playing such a gigantic show.

An executable slideshow does not create a multitude of images like a DVD show. It instructs the computer to create the individual images on the fly from the available images. So though it may seem "logical" that if a low resource computer can play a 4.7 gigabyte DVD then it should surely be able to play a 4 gigabyte executable file but it's not the same thing at all. With a DVD of this size it may take hours to render and create all the necessary images at 29.97 frames per second display which play back in slightly over an hour. But with an executable file you are asking the computer to create up to 60 or more frames per second and in your case that's 60 or more frames each second of images five megabytes in size. Do the math and you have asked your system to create 300 megabytes or more of data each second. Even with a super PC having eight gigabytes of RAM, a super fast processor and something like an nVIDIA 8800 GTX card this would not be feasible.

Remember, when you are editing, PTE must keep huge amounts of data in memory to allow "undo" and "redo" operations. So with these huge files you quickly exhaust whatever memory is available after Vista takes its pretty significant share.

Best regards,

Lin