WnSoft Forums

"Sound" Advice

JEB

Guest Yachtsman1
Eric,

Take the mic back to two feet away and try again. Just do short test recordings until you know you are getting it right. Don't waste time and effort on the full length voice-over just yet. Don't "project" your voice as you might in an auditorium without a microphone. Just speak in your normal voice.

At this stage all we're trying to do is establish the correct settings on and placing of the H2 to get the proper sound level.

Re the rates: 44KHz is a good standard to adopt. The extra definition captured by 48KHz is only going to be discernible by young ears - us adults have subjected our hearing to so much noise that we have lost the top-end frequency detection. Kids can hear up to about 20KHz (and that is a sound frequency that a 44KHz sample rate will capture very well); us "oldies" are down to about 12-15Khz at the top end of our hearing.

regards,

Peter

Hi Peter

Just back from Richmond CC, I will re-set the H2 to 44 before the next test, re hearing I think mine is down to -10Khz

Regards Eric :(

Eric,

You can use Audacity to check your upper threshold of hearing. Just Generate some 2-second samples of pure tone. I did this with 10KHz, 12KHz, 14KHz, 16KHz , 18KHz and 20KHz samples. I could hear up to 14KHz but not 16KHz. The loudspeakers I use are spec'd at 20KHz so all the tones should have been coming out of the speakers. It's not a scientific test of hearing but it will give you a good idea of where yours starts to fall off.

regards,

Peter

Guest Yachtsman1
Eric,

You can use Audacity to check your upper threshold of hearing. Just Generate some 2-second samples of pure tone. I did this with 10KHz, 12KHz, 14KHz, 16KHz , 18KHz and 20KHz samples. I could hear up to 14KHz but not 16KHz. The loudspeakers I use are spec'd at 20KHz so all the tones should have been coming out of the speakers. It's not a scientific test of hearing but it will give you a good idea of where yours starts to fall off.

regards,

Peter

Hi Peter

I will try that when things get quieter, my B/band was off this morning which is worse than an amputation, new month, pay the rates, order food from Tesco' home delivery, it goes on and on.

Did a quick test with the H2 before bed last night, positioned it 2ft away and there was no clipping and the level was good. Got a similar thread going on the Audacity forum, a guy on there is suggesting switching off the AGC and setting the level manually, what do you think??

Regards Eric.

Eric,

I don't have the option of switching off Automatic Gain Control on the H4 so I don't know how it might affect the recordings. For voice-over work done in a home studio setting I would have thought having AGC on would be OK. Fot outdoor "actuality" recording, being able to turn AGC off and set levels manually might be an advantage. We really need the opinion of someone else who uses a H2. I wonder if John (JEB) or Dennis (denwel) is reading this and would care to offer an opinion based on their experiences.

regards,

Peter

Eric/Peter

I find that it is best on location (if you have time) to leave AGC off and set the levels manually. The AGC seeks out low sounds in the background on location recordings and tries to amplify them, which causes 'jumps' in level back and forth from the main sound/voice. I've not done much 'studio' recording of voice overs but as you have complete control of background sound polution, again you are able to set the level manually and check the quality as you proceed with the recording, although I suppose the AGC should cope OK as it's only dealing with one sound source.

It's only where you have to 'grab' the recording quickly on location when there's not time to fiddle with the levels that AGC is of benefit - horses for courses I guess.

There are settings for the AGC on the H2 which supposedly adjusts the quality for a number of circumstances including speech, instruments, concerts and studio recording. There's also a limiter setting which should go a long way to avoiding clipping. I've not checked these out but they could be useful.

This is my experience and I find the H2 copes admirably.

Any 'dullness' in voice quality can be improved using voice compression settings in editing software which level out the high and low levels in the speech, giving a more consistent presence to the voice. This I find tricky to apply, but there are a few references to suitable settings on the net - trial and error, but perhaps beyond the needs of a simple V/O for a basic slide show.

Persevere Eric

DEN (NE UK)

Sorry Peter, I can't add anything to this. I'm very much a novice and am learning from you and others as this thread develops.

By the way it was Ken (the spy in the sky) who drew my attention to your request for feed back, by way of an e-mail!

What a wonderful community we have here!

All the best Eric.

Regards

John

Guest Yachtsman1

Thanks all, I tried another 25 minute voice over again today and I'm still not happy with it so I will try again with the H2 at 3ft fom mi gob (Lancashire dialect) for mouth ;)

Yachtsman1

Hi Yachtsman1,

As I indicated earlier I am still learning so I can't offer advice but I can tell you how I have set up my H2.

I have the Recording Mode set at 44.1 kHz (don't know what they are but there sure not pixels!) /16 bit.

I have AGC2/COMP (??) set (Speech)

and Auto Record is OFF

I followed the instructions on pages 15 - 17 dealing with input sensitivity and have settled on a max recording level of about -12 to -6.

The unit is about 27 inches from my mouth on a stand on a mouse mat.

Only the front microphone is on.

These settings, in my environment and with my voice, give me a quality I am very pleased with. Definitely no clipping that I can detect.

Regards

John

Guest Yachtsman1

I've just burned the midnight oil sorting this problem. I suspended the H2 from the light fitting, set all the pictures in the show at 20 seconds, connected the laptop to the 32" TV settled down in my favourite chair and ran the show and recorded the relevant tracks as the pictures came up on the screen, at picture 104 I found I had mislaid the next page of script and stopped the recording and show. I then re-started the show a began recording, which finished at slide 132. I then switched off, downloaded folder 01 which contained the first part of the show and searched the other files for the missing bit, it wasn't there, the other folders were empty, :( WHY????

Yachtsman1

Guest Yachtsman1

I must apologise for my last post, it was after midnight, I was cream crackered and had been messing with the problem all day. Thinking about it next morning I didn't allow enough time for the H2 to absorb the first 30 minute recording before finishing the last two pages, sorry guys, put it down to a senior moment. ;)

Yachtsman1

I do all my tutorial recordings off the top of my head with nothing ever written down. The recordings always sound calm and natural. On the odd occasion when I have written a script, I sound like I am reading that script and the difference is immediately noticable.

Even the pros on TV can't shake off the fact they are reading an autocue.

So, the best natural recordings you will make are those that come straight off the top of your head, but I agree in some circumstances that is easier said than done. Best to learn the facts you want to impart and then do it in your own style rather than reading it.

If possible :rolleyes:

Guest Yachtsman1

Hi Guys I think the main problem is I have jumped in with both feet and tried to do a 1hr plus voice over, Barry is right about a script, I tried to use one decades ago and couldn't get it right then, yet when I did a company presentation to M&S high up's at Baker St, unscripted I had no trouble. Next time I will try something a bit simpler. :rolleyes:

Yachtsman1

Eric,

Well done! Perseverence got you there in the end. Now have a good rest before you try anything else. Your an "old dog" and you shouldn't be trying to learn all these "new tricks" all at once. Aim for one a day from now on!

regards,

Peter

Guest Yachtsman1
Eric,

Well done! Perseverence got you there in the end. Now have a good rest before you try anything else. Your an "old dog" and you shouldn't be trying to learn all these "new tricks" all at once. Aim for one a day from now on!

regards,

Peter

Hi Peter

My next hurdle is to align the pictures to the sound track without having to customise each one. I also have 4 separate sound tracks in Audacity, sound effects x 2, voice and the music background. At the moment I have the PTE show running at the same time as Audacity, and keep flicking between the two checking the timeline in both and trying to align them. I think my laptop and my brain are starting to protest.

Yachtsman1

Guest Yachtsman1
Eric,

Your challenge for tomorrow is to use Audacity to combine the music, voice-over and sound effects into a sound-track file (WAV or MP3).

regards,

Peter

Hi Peter

I've already done it 4 times, it was the quality of the voice over that led me into this thread. When you've lined up 260 plus slides, 6 tunes, 6 sound effects and my boring voice for around 15 hours you begin to wonder, was it worth it?

Tomorrow is my 5th and final attempt on this particular show. Even my wife is getting a little stressed at hearing the same thing over and over again. May have to move into the back bedroom :(

Yachtsman1

G'day Eric,

I've already done it 4 times, it was the quality of the voice over that led me into this thread. When you've lined up 260 plus slides, 6 tunes, 6 sound effects and my boring voice for around 15 hours you begin to wonder, was it worth it?

Yes I also have been driven up the wall trying to get synchronisation of a number of audio tracks and a complex number of images using PTE and a audio editor. When it becomes possible to match the audio tracks to the images accurately within PTE I think I will throw a party!!

Adding this function has been discussed before on the forum and Igor has express favourably comments on adding this function to PTE but as yet nothing has been forthcoming. See--

http://www.picturestoexe.com/forums/index....50&hl=audio

and

http://www.picturestoexe.com/forums/index....ic=8203&hl=

We can only hope. :unsure::rolleyes:

Guest Yachtsman1
G'day Eric,

Yes I also have been driven up the wall trying to get synchronisation of a number of audio tracks and a complex number of images using PTE and a audio editor. When it becomes possible to match the audio tracks to the images accurately within PTE I think I will throw a party!!

Adding this function has been discussed before on the forum and Igor has express favourably comments on adding this function to PTE but as yet nothing has been forthcoming. See--

http://www.picturestoexe.com/forums/index....50&hl=audio

and

http://www.picturestoexe.com/forums/index....ic=8203&hl=

We can only hope. :unsure::rolleyes:

When that debate was at its height, I was one of the "Don't Make Things More Complicated" body, however now I am well into both PTE & Audacity I can see the case for some form of co-ordination between both programmes, not necessarily a dedicated PTE sound editing section within PTE. But that's just my thoughts.

Yachtsman1

When that debate was at its height, I was one of the "Don't Make Things More Complicated" body, however now I am well into both PTE & Audacity I can see the case for some form of co-ordination between both programmes, not necessarily a dedicated PTE sound editing section within PTE. But that's just my thoughts.

Eric I think the debate was on my part at least never about adding a Sound Editor to PTE but to have basic audio file adjustments and to bring the audio functions that already exist in PTE into the one area, the result would be to simplify the program for the user, not complicate it as some feared.

This was part of my suggestion---

.....An example of these would be--

-The ability to simply fade in/out a track with user specified timing.

-Volume adjustment for the whole track or user specified part of the track.

-The ability to add more than one sound file to a track so they play consecutively and join seamlessly.

There are many ways of doing this in PTE, one would be to add a second audio track to the timeline and have the ability to manipulate the audio file waveform display just as we currently do with the images in the image track. Functions could be--

--Adjust the transition timing on the audio file just as we do on the image, (that is fade in/out).

--Add and remove audio files to a track, and position them very accurately with a drag and drop, (again just as we do with images)......

Guest Yachtsman1
Eric I think the debate was on my part at least never about adding a Sound Editor to PTE but to have basic audio file adjustments and to bring the audio functions that already exist in PTE into the one area, the result would be to simplify the program for the user, not complicate it as some feared.

This was part of my suggestion---

Maybe WNSoft should buy Audacity and link the two together???? ;)

Yachtsman1

Live Demonstration ~ Griffin iMIC (An iPod Product)

For those of you looking for a simple (Lo-cost) 'Voice-Over Generator' there are few products

which will surpass the 'Griffin-iMic USB Adaptor' both in terms of quality and ease of use.

Plug-in any 'Sound Source' into the iMIC and it will convert the audio signals directly into the

USB Format (PCM Sound) which completely by-passes the internal Sound-Card giving superb quality

with no noise. All this for a cost less than £30 and even lower from E-Bay.

Inputs include:- Microphones, Phono-Decks, Tape-Decks and any other sound sources at norm levels.

Complete with Software which supplies 'curve-corrections' for Phono-Decks and Tape-Decks and a converter

which transforms the PCM Files into Mp3 or Wav for further Sound-Editing.

Below is a 'Screenshot' of the Adaptor and a "Link" to a Demonstration 'Voice-Over' by Tom McCourt.

Link: http://www.mediafire.com/?4ngm5nayoto

Hope you find this useful.

Brian.Conflow.

post-1416-1223159922_thumb.png