WnSoft Forums

9 hundred and 11 images

Almark

This is the 1st draft, there are about 1,000 images here but I intend to cut them down to 911. The photography is not mine, I found these on the 'net. (I have over 5,000 potential images and these were taken from the first 1,500)

It is a project in progress and I welcome all feedback.

42MB

here

On 11 September 2001 a series of attacks were launched on America.

It was a day that many around the world would never forget.

(This first post has been updated to reflect the comments below)

This is the 1st draft, there are about 1,000 images here and I intend to cut them down to 911.

Hi Almark

Good idea but much much too fast !!!

Impossible to stay looking at the screen more than a few seconds and I must admit that I gave up very very rapidly.

For us non american, 911 has no immediate signification as for you ( for us it is 15 or 112), so during the first seconds, until I understood what 911 is meaning (I firstly thought about the Porsche 911 !), I was thinking that this slideshow was just a joke !

I think that such a subject needs some meditation.

Speed and hurry is not the best suited manner to introduce it :(

Regards

Patrick

An interesting idea Mark, however I do agree with Patrick as an old "petrol head" I also assumed your show would be on the great 911 Porsche and was a little disappointed. :(

The idea was a good one but as others have said a little too fast in execution.

Mark,

I think you have a great idea here but I also have to agree with the others that the images change far too quickly. For what it might be worth, I sense that lurking within that sequence of yours is a much more powerful one waiting to get out. Keep the music. Keep the vertical orientation. Keep some of the images of the towers. Concentrate on the faces of the people: the shock, the horror, the dis-belief, the tiredness, the utter exhaustion.

And if you really want to make it an all-American sequence, why not try Samuel Barber's "Adagio for Strings" as your music. It carries the same melancholy, mournful mood as your current music.

Whatever you do, or don't do, with this sequence - good luck with it.

regards,

Peter

Hi All,

In reply to Marks very fast and many picture show I have on Mediafire just the opposite,My Grandaughter had to set up a Dance routine

for her group in her Dance class at school for the end of year exams.

there was a very short time limit for Music but were possible they could also use a slideshow which would be shown on screen at Parents night

depicting what the dance routine was about, She chose 911.

The Dance and show were taken very well By the parents and friends at the end of year show.

you can find it here, only just over 7MB. http://www.mediafire.com/?3jzyn2z0xh3

All The Best Ray

In reply to Marks very fast and many picture show I have on Mediafire just the opposite,My Grandaughter had to set up a Dance routine for her group in her Dance class at school for the end of year exams.

there was a very short time limit for Music but were possible they could also use a slideshow which would be shown on screen at Parents night depicting what the dance routine was about, She chose 911.

Hi Ray

I probably miss something but 12 very poor quality slides in .... 7 minutes 30 !!!, a plane picture that does not mach reality, a children's voice very hard to understand, music absolutely not in phase with the photos mood and atmosphere... :blink::blink:

For sure, when we have to give a judgement about our little childrens, every thing is, without any hesitation, brilliant... but here..... ???

Thanks at least for downloading and replying Patrick,

My grandaughter is not a photographer or does she do slideshows.

She downloaded the pictures from the internet and did everything herself with just a little guidence from me with the slideshow

but she was in full control.

I dont think that was to bad for a very young girl with no experience in this sort of thing.

But thanks at least for watching.

Ray

Hi Folks, and thanks for your fast replies, I appreciate your feedback.

Strange as it may seem I deliberately made it this fast, indeed it was faster ;-) I wanted to invoke emotions of - so much information/too much information, lots of things happening but not enough time to see them because of the chaos of the day. I wanted people to be frustrated by it but yet still hold their interest, as even though they only got a quick glance, I thought a quick glance might be enough.

But clearly I have made a number of miscalculations, my introduction should have been more detailed. I assumed that everyone in the world knew what "911" meant. (Assumption is the mother of all co**-ups).

So it is back to the drawing board for me.

I have around 5,000 images, but that (in a project) crashed my system! So I brought it down to 3,000 and that was un-manageable - in terms of time. So I thought of just 1,000 and then reduce them to 9 hundred and 11 images.

Music: Barbers music was used in Platoon and therefore has war connotations, but for me it is just too sad, even the music brings tears to my eyes and linked to this sort of stuff would have been over the top - for me at least. But I will give it a try and see how it works with others. I also considered Henryk Górecki, but it also brings me to tears...

There is a worthwhile project here, and with your help I am sure I can do it. As the images are all smallish roughly 600 pixels in width I was considering a frame to contain them, and in the portrait sections using two images - fade in left - fade in right, fade in left etc.

Speed,

I thought it crucial to have 9 hundred and 11 images, but did not want the project to last too long. I am now thinking of a slow beginning to set the scene, a rapid fire middle bit, to tell the story and a slow conclusion. (with 3 different pieces of music). Or perhaps forgoing the 9 hundred and 11 images and having ony 500 might make it shorter, punchier and more impactive - yet still tell an important story.

All advice, comments, and suggestions are most welcome. I am prepared to devote some time to this - to get it right.

Hi Folks, and thanks for your fast replies, I appreciate your feedback.

All advice, comments, and suggestions are most welcome. I am prepared to devote some time to this - to get it right.

Hi Almark

From my point of view, I think you have to draw some boundaries, the first of it beeing the duration.

6 minutes (maximum 8) are largely accepted as the maximum of concentration a "normal" viewer can hold.

If you give much value to the number 911 it is quite impossible to show them in a familiar way.

To bypass this problem why not show your images 3 per 3 and pile them loosely on the screen as when we show friends a large number of photos taken from a shoe box and smearing them (not sure my translation is good) on a table ?

Patrick