WnSoft Forums

New Monitor (1680 x 1050) PTE setup / display issues

ezdzit

It's probably been a year since I've used PTE. A few months ago I replaced old 19" CRT (4:3) with 22" flat screen. I just started a new PTE project and immediately noticed the text within the buttons exceeds the button size. Additionally if I select project options, some of the screens, such as Main, do not have a scroll bar and I can see that there are options below the bottom of box that I cannot get to. I was using version 5.0, so in hopes of fixing the problem I just upgraded to version 5.52. The problem remians. I did try changing monitor settings, I even went into PTE properties and selected operate at 640 x 480. Still no help. Prior to the new monitor, everything worked fine.

Any help would be appreciated.

I did try several searches of this forum but came up empty, probably because I was unable to select the few key words that would have taken me previous discussions.

Thanks in advance!

Mike

Guest Yachtsman1
It's probably been a year since I've used PTE. A few months ago I replaced old 19" CRT (4:3) with 22" flat screen. I just started a new PTE project and immediately noticed the text within the buttons exceeds the button size. Additionally if I select project options, some of the screens, such as Main, do not have a scroll bar and I can see that there are options below the bottom of box that I cannot get to. I was using version 5.0, so in hopes of fixing the problem I just upgraded to version 5.52. The problem remians. I did try changing monitor settings, I even went into PTE properties and selected operate at 640 x 480. Still no help. Prior to the new monitor, everything worked fine.

Any help would be appreciated.

I did try several searches of this forum but came up empty, probably because I was unable to select the few key words that would have taken me previous discussions.

Thanks in advance!

Mike

Hi Mike

Have you tried changing the screens resolution?, I assume you know how, but in case you don't go to control panel, click display, click the settings tab, move the slider to a different resolution, click apply then check the result. Thinking further, you only mentioned the PTE problem so I assume everything else looks OK? If that's the case ignore what I said, you may need a higher level of assistance than mine.

Yachtsman1

Hi Mike

Have you tried changing the screens resolution?, I assume you know how, but in case you don't go to control panel, click display, click the settings tab, move the slider to a different resolution, click apply then check the result. Thinking further, you only mentioned the PTE problem so I assume everything else looks OK? If that's the case ignore what I said, you may need a higher level of assistance than mine.

Yachtsman1

Thanks, but yes I did try that. All other applicationslook and work just fine. PTE is my only problem.

Mike

Mike,

This problem comes up from time to time and it can either be simply fixed

or it can becomes a 'right so and so' which needs tracking down.

1) Please let us know the Make & Model No: of your New Monitor ?

2) Please let us know the Make & Model No: of your Computer ?

3) In the meanwhile see the Photo Instructions below and try that.

Brian.Conflow.

post-1416-1223684886_thumb.png

Mike,

This problem comes up from time to time and it can either be simply fixed

or it can becomes a 'right so and so' which needs tracking down.

1) Please let us know the Make & Model No: of your New Monitor ?

2) Please let us know the Make & Model No: of your Computer ?

3) In the meanwhile see the Photo Instructions below and try that.

Brian.Conflow.

Brian,

Copmuter is Dell Dimensions 8700

Monitor HP w2207

Windows XP Service pack 3

I tried your suggestion, unfortunately I don't have the Graphics Properties and Options that you show.

I tried to upload an image (word doc) to show what I see, not sure if the attachment is there or not (I'm new to this forum and not quite up to speed on how things work).

Brian,

Copmuter is Dell Dimensions 8700

Monitor HP w2207

Windows XP Service pack 3

I tried your suggestion, unfortunately I don't have the Graphics Properties and Options that you show.

I tried to upload an image (word doc) to show what I see, not sure if the attachment is there or not (I'm new to this forum and not quite up to speed on how things work).

Mike,

Try and avoid 'Word Docs' they are a bit 'finniky' use Gif or JPeg Images taken with a Screen Capture Utility

Shown below is HOW TO DO an Image attachment.

Brian.Conflow.

post-1416-1223689623_thumb.png

Mike,

In his post above, Brian omitted the very last step, actually attaching the uploaded item to the post. If you go into the Tutorials section of the Forum you will see at the top of the page three threads on FAQs. In the Forum Usage thread there is an FAQ on attaching files to your post.

regards,

Peter

P.S. for Brian,

You've got to stop burning the midnight oil, my son, your brain cells are not performing at their best at such times!

If the resolution of the PC matches the new monitor and you still cannot see the words correctly the problem may be that your icons are set too large.

Make your icons smaller and I think you will find the solution. You will find the options to change these in control panel. With Vista I think you need "Ease of Access"

Mike,

In his post above, Brian omitted the very last step, actually attaching the uploaded item to the post. If you go into the Tutorials section of the Forum you will see at the top of the page three threads on FAQs. In the Forum Usage thread there is an FAQ on attaching files to your post.

regards,

Peter

P.S. for Brian,

You've got to stop burning the midnight oil, my son, your brain cells are not performing at their best at such times!

Hi Peter,

I'm not too sure what you mean by:-...."Brian omitted the very last step, actually attaching the uploaded item to the post"....

The 'Screen-shot' in the bottom of my Post demonstrates how to do that and that works always with '98-2000-XP-XP2-XP3

and as I don't use Vista, I can't comment. Mike is using Windows XP3 and I have just tested the Attachment and it works fine

and there have been 16 downloads so far......so I must admit I am trying to understand what the perceived problem is ???

Brian.

Brian,

Do you not have to go into "Manage Current Attachments" and do an Add operation? I've always had to do this when adding zip files as attachments. I must admit I have never added an image file to any of my posts. I was making an assumption - a dangerous thing to do!

If I've got it wrong then: a - I've learned something new and: b - I apologise for any offence caused.

regards,

Peter

Brian,

Do you not have to go into "Manage Current Attachments" and do an Add operation? I've always had to do this when adding zip files as attachments. I must admit I have never added an image file to any of my posts. I was making an assumption - a dangerous thing to do!

If I've got it wrong then: a - I've learned something new and: b - I apologise for any offence caused.

regards,

Peter

Problem Solved!

Everyone - Thanks for your interest in resolving this problem.

Suggesting changing the icon size drove me to revist what I had previously tried. Prior to posting on the forum, I tried, or thought I tried all combinations within the display properties (and advanced), including changing icon size, monitor resolution (normally set at 1680 x 1050), etc.

Apparently on the Display Properties - Appearance Tab - Font Size I did not try all three choices. Normally I have this set for Extra Large, which is not really all that big on a 22" monitor. Reducing it to large was an improvement, but reducing it to Normal appears to have solved the problem.

Fortunately this is an easy fix, and when working with PTE I'll just change to the Normal font size, then when done, back to Extra Large.

Interestingly, this is the only application where something like that is necessary. Perhaps this identifies a fix for future versions?

Thanks again for your help!

Regards,

MikeD

Brian,

regards,

Peter

Peter,

You wrote...."Do you not have to go into "Manage Current Attachments" and do an Add Operation?".... No I don't do that,

and I can also add Zips etc; at will.

But on reflection I know whats going on (its so simple to forget these things)....it's to do with your Security-Settings and

indeed others may be in the same situation as you....So its worthwhile checking your Web and EMail settings,see below.

Image-1 (below) concerns normal WEB Security-Settings. IE-Explorer.5~6.

Image-2 (below) concerns normal EMAIL Security-Settings. OE-Express.5~6

Let me know if this helped...

Brian.Conflow.

post-1416-1223732608_thumb.png

post-1416-1223732629_thumb.png

Brian,

Things are a little different under Vista (surprise, surprise!).

I operate my Interent Security on "Custom" settings that are based on Vista's recommended defaults but with a selection of additional tightenings up. There are nearly fifty different options in the Custom window and I cannot now remember which ones I altered from the original default settings. As I am in the fortunate position (touch wood) of never having had any problems with hackers, viruses, trojans or any of the other "net nasties", you will appreciate that I would be very reluctant to make any changes. I might make an exception if it was required in order to get me past an absolute "showstopper" of a problem.

And I use Outlook and not Outlook Express. I've never used OE because I've always felt it had too many loopholes that were being exploited by the hacker community. Added to which, I used Outlook for nearly 10 years at work and so knew my way around in it well.

Thanks for trying to point me in a different direction, but I'll stay with where I'm at.

Let's just accept that it's another example of the fact that, on modern computer systems there are always several different ways of achieving the same end result.

regards,

Peter

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the reply ~ It just goes to show ~ "every man to his own brew" ~ but I had a concern

about the FAQ's which you had mentioned earlier. I know you are trying hard to sort these out but

what hope has anyone got when Microsoft keeps changing the Goal-Posts. So FAQ's for Vista are

completely different to those with XP2/3. I don't envy that job you are trying to do, it would drive

most of us to dispair.

Regards,

Brian.Conflow.

Mike,

In his post above, Brian omitted the very last step, actually attaching the uploaded item to the post.

Brian,

Im afraid I'm with Peter on this one......you are correct in discribing the upload process but when upload is complete it's placed in your "Manage uploads" folder accessed from just above the upload button, I then place my curser in my post where I want my attachment to appear, go to my managed uploads foled and choose the attachment I want.

If you operate in a different why I would be interested.

Tom

Tom,

Just 2 things:-

1)

I am using "Outlook Express 6" and Peter is using "Microsoft Outlook" two different

Programs all-together.

2)

I also have my 'Security-Setting' adjusted to the Attachments shown in my #14 Post

above.

In these circumstances I simply have to 'Browse' and find my Image in My Documents

then 'click-it' and simply hit the 'Upload Button'. The Image is loaded to Cursor position.

Thats it...

Brian.

Me same as Brian's method

"In these circumstances I simply have to 'Browse' and find my Image in My Documents

then 'click-it' and simply hit the 'Upload Button'. The Image is loaded to Cursor position."

just wish it would take multiple picts with one click - could put in a zip but may create another bee's nest :)

ken

OK chaps, let me make a little test here. I've used ADDREPLY to initiate this post. I've prepared an image file in Photoshop and have saved it as a JPEG.

I have then clicked on Browse in the Attachments section of this webpage, navigated to the JPEG file and Open-ed it and then clicked on the green UPLOAD button. The file has uploaded and I've now got a line across the bottom of the "Attachments" section that says "Upload successful and is available from the 'Manage Current Attachments' menu."

Now this implies to me that I have to do something with the 'Manage Current Attachment' menu.

Do none of you get this line after the Upload completes? Or are you saying that you ignore it and just go ahead and click "Add Reply" and the attachment gets picked up automatically?

regards,

Peter

post-4886-1223826796_thumb.jpg

And that's just answered all my questions! (See post #20). I didn't use 'Manage Current Attachments' and yet the image file was attached. I've been doing an unnecessary step all along. Brian (Conflow), you have a full and public apology from me for claiming that you were wrong.

Once again, we've proved that there are more ways than just one to achieve a particular result on a computer system.

regards,

Peter

OK chaps, let me make a little test here. I've used ADDREPLY to initiate this post. I've prepared an image file in Photoshop and have saved it as a JPEG.

I have then clicked on Browse in the Attachments section of this webpage, navigated to the JPEG file and Open-ed it and then clicked on the green UPLOAD button. The file has uploaded and I've now got a line across the bottom of the "Attachments" section that says "Upload successful and is available from the 'Manage Current Attachments' menu."

Now this implies to me that I have to do something with the 'Manage Current Attachment' menu.

Do none of you get this line after the Upload completes? Or are you saying that you ignore it and just go ahead and click "Add Reply" and the attachment gets picked up automatically?

regards,

Peter

Peter,

This is how I have to do it and it works a treat, and I say if it ain't broke,don't fix it:-

Firstpost-552-1223830752_thumb.png

Nextpost-552-1223830696_thumb.png

Finlaypost-552-1223830707_thumb.png

I think this is how you do it?

By the wat.... My e-mail programme is Incredimail, security settings are different again.

Tom.

Sorry, can't spell way..... :lol:

Timetable2008.pdf

Tom,

I'm a firm believer in "If it ain't broke don't fix it!" too. But I'm also on the lookout for ways to "work smarter not harder". I now realise that I can omit a click or two (that's a reduced chance of RSI for me and a longer life expectancy for the little electronic rodent!)

regards,

Peter