WnSoft Forums

Online storage of PTE shows

LumenLux

Is anyone out there using the online file storage provided (suposedly) to all Comcast users with their broadband internet service? Prompted by Bill @ Beechbrook and by Guido, I thought it would be great to store PTE shows on my own space, ie the 25 mb advertised and touted on the Comcast website. I have spent most of the last 12 hours (ouch!) trying to find someone at Comcast to straighten their system out. I at first thought it was me, but finally got far enough that it now seems for sure to be their problem and the tech's know less than I do by now. There willingness to help does not solve the problem. I won't go into the details, but when I push a screen button on one of their pages, it brings up a different linked page, than when they push the same button on thier screen! What I really need to know is whether any PTE forum users are using the online storage that Comcast provides ? Or any other suggestions?

I hope Comcast is actually providing a working service, and if so, that you can find technical support at the right technical level in Comcast....

I use Satellite, so I'm not one of the very many who use Comcast.

I would like to expand the scope of your inquiry: How many other services that many of us commonly use offer significant online space, as in 25MB? For example, I use Verizon DSL. Do they offer it?

Good morning Bill.

I have learned more but nothing like an answer. I found a Comcast sponsored forum. My problem is widespread and apparently has been for the last couple of months. It sounds like Comcast, supposedly a communications company, can not communicate ever with their own support people. Everything the tech's learn is from frustrated subscribers. Even when the Comcast rep comes in the forum, the "answer" is no answer. I did figure out how to use FTP to find and download my files, but the files then don't work for me. I have dl'd my PTEshow.EXE and a zipped version but both give me error when I try to run or open. You may know what is causing this? The zip file won't unzip and the exe file gives some "index out of bounds" or similar error and won't run. It appears that the 822 kb pteshow.exe file downloads back to me as 823 kb. Do you know what I may be doing wrong to contribute to the mess?

From the Comcast Forum, some users cited other competing providers who have similar, but easy to use successful storage. It sounds like it is a largely overlooked feature included by many ISP's of broadband. It also sounds like it may have been working for Comcast and or ATTbi before their merger.

:rolleyes: for the comedy of confusion...

:( but so, regarding tech support and service quality

Perhaps you should consider a competent web host:

Low-priced nameserver

This outfit, www.fuitadnet.com, gets high marks from my son. He says they have good novice help and a very helpful forum for any topic about your web site and the host, etc. Their lowest level offering is $4.99 per month for up to 3GB of online space and up to 25GB bandwidth (upload or download total per month).

Do you have a Static IP Address with your DSL

I run a server program on my computer and send my family a link

they can use to download the file right off of my computer.

I don't have to worry about file size or space.

A simple one to try is Simple Server

you just point it to an Dir with an HTML file. And That is where you can share files.

then I create another dir "slideshow" and send the link to my family.

The link would like something like this.

http://300.300.300.300/slideshow/PTEslideshow.exe

Simple server is Free and its only 187K (Only run it when you send a file for someone

to download. I would send the link and tell them it was only going to be posted

for 2 days. If they want it posted again to send me an email.

This program worked well, but What I did not like about it is,

it does not create a log file so you can see what people are downloading.

But is is very small and easy to use. Try and see if you like the way it works.

I am using a program now called Sambar Server.

It took a little more setting up but I do like seeing what my family is downloading.

I upgraded to a new computer. Now my old computer a pII 300 is used as a server.

my router send all requests to my old computer.

I think it works well for sharing files with my Family and Friends.

It is better then sending them Large emails.

cc

Thank you cc. Your system is certainly worth considering.

I do not know if my IP address is static. My hookup is actually a cable modem. I "think" it might be set up as "dynamic" IP address? I will look in and see if I can tell. Does the setup you describe only work with static IP address? If I set up an older machine for sole purpose of "server" could I set up static on that one only, or is it strictly a matter of my ISP what it requires? Also, when you use your PII 300, how long does a 20 mb file take to download. Is even the 300 fast enough to more than keep up with DSL or cable etc.? You can tell this is all new territory for me. I appreciate your telling me about it.

Interesting alternatives. With my ADSL or Asymmetric DSL (Verizon DSL, that uses DHCP, not static IP) the upload speed is slow while the download speed is fast. If I used my system as the download server it would be at my upload speed. Right now my download speed is about 1.5Mbps, or about 180KB/sec actual data transfer. The upload speed, that would then become a friend or family member's download speed going the full trip to their system, is only about 128Kbps or 15KB/sec. That's about 3 times the speed of a "slow torture" 56K modem (much too slow).

So while cc's suggestion won't work for me, it may be fine for you. Cable modem service usually has a good upload speed, usually much better than DSL. It is also usually variable with peak usage. You can check yours at this site if you want Bob, and please let us know what you find if you do:

PC Pitstop upload and download speed test (free)

For the benefit of forum members with DSL, this link describes DSL types:

Click for "Types of DSL"

SDSL (Symmetric) is becoming available and has good upload speed (1.5Mbps) as DSL goes.

My download speed is 384 and my upload is 256 (30K)

Most of my family is on dial up. so more then one can download at a time with no problem.

If your IP address changes the links to your files would also need to change.

As long as your IP address stays the same until you reset your modem or turn it off and back on.

the link would be good.

cc

Hello Everyone,

Just a thought on FTP transfers as I read the threads.

Executable programs, word processing documents, spreadsheets, databases, graphic and sound are some examples of files that MUST be uploaded in BINARY mode to your online file storage server not in ASCII.

If you KNOW that the host that you are transferring to or from is the same as your local host, you CAN always use BINARY mode and never use ASCII.

Good Luck

Thanks, dilemmania - that may finally explain Comcast's unusable file dilemma :) that Bob (Lumenlux) described in the topic opener. But regarding this statement:

If you KNOW that the host that you are transferring to or from is the same as your local host, you CAN always use BINARY mode and never use ASCII.

Could you please explain what you mean by "same host" in the Comcast problem context, that downloaded .exes and .zips are not openable?

Hello Everyone,

I got the information below from my FTP program help menu. I don't think it is the problem but it was worth mentioning. My program has a selection for ASCII or BINARY or Auto, I always use BINARY

Binary (transfer mode)

Used for non-TEXT file transferring. Executable programs, word processing documents, spreadsheets, databases, graphic and sound are some examples of files that MUST be transferred in BINARY mode.

If you KNOW that the host that you are transferring to or from is the same (that it translates the end of line character the same - ASCII see below) as your local host (home computer), you CAN always use BINARY mode and never use ASCII.

Send a small text and .exe file and see if there is a problem. I always use BINARY mode.

ASCII (transfer mode)

Is used for TEXT file transferring. The end of line character is different on different type of computers. This will insure that the end of line character is translated properly.

Good Luck,