WnSoft Forums

Print Screen doesn't work in Objects and Animations

Ed Overstreet

The method of Purging or Clearing does not work in Elements in the same way!!!!

If I do a Pr Scr and try to paste into Elements I can "see" that there is nothing to paste.

However without doing anything else I can close Elements, open CS3 and the previous Pr Scr is there waiting to be Pasted.

Very much more "curiouser".

DaveG

As far as I know using the Shift key in combination with Print Screen key performs no other function unless the user has setup some Windows shortcut key function to specifically use Shift+PrintScreen combination. So the botton line is ... using the Print Screen key should by all accounts work normal just by itself. Its possible however if a user has an expanded function keyboard with specific drivers installed ... the drivers may dictate or override the normal window key functions.

Heres the basics on SysRq function key:

"On 84-key keyboards (except the 84-key IBM Model M space saver keyboard), SysRq was a key of its own. On the later 101-key keyboard, it shares a physical key with the Print Screen key function. One must hold down the Alt key while pressing this “dual-function” key to invoke SysRq"

System request - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SysRq

Guest Yachtsman1
The method of Purging or Clearing does not work in Elements in the same way!!!!

If I do a Pr Scr and try to paste into Elements I can "see" that there is nothing to paste.

However without doing anything else I can close Elements, open CS3 and the previous Pr Scr is there waiting to be Pasted.

Very much more "curiouser".

DaveG

Hi Dave

Try this, prnt screen, open p/shop/elements, file. new, blank file. edit, paste, bobs your uncle :P

Regards Eric

I have PS Elements 6 and the same problem, but found that using

(German) Datei/Neu/Bild aus Zwischenablage

(in english version it may be) File/New/Image from Clipboard

works exactly the way it is expected. Tried 4 pages in O&A with PrintScreen-> 4 times the correct image in PSE.

regards,

Frank

Guest Yachtsman1
Eric,

But can you then move to a different slide in PTE, go into O&A on that, Prt Scr to the clipboard and create another new file in Elements without closing down and re-launching Elements? I can't!

regards,

Peter

Hi Peter

Yes using this method, open 5.6, select slide, go to O&A, press button PrtSc/SysRq, open elements 5, file. new. blank file. edit. paste. bingo! back to 5.6, select new slide, O&A, prnt.sc etc. back to elements. file. new. blank file. edit. paste. bingo new slide appears.

Regards Eric ;)

Strange Ed

Whether I use SHIFT PRINT SCREEN of just PRINT SCREEN I can not capture the O&A window (XP SP2) even if it is open in a partial screen (i.e. less than full screen mode)

Gadwin worked for the first time capturing the O&A window - that was how I made the jpg I posted above. Now it won't do it ARRRGH !!!!

Glad the other way of having GADWIN write the file to a designated folder works !!

I think there is something associated with what side of the bed one gets up on...... :unsure:

I opened PhotoShop (CS3) this morning (I had closed it down last night) tried the EDIT > PURGE > (I chose CLIPBOARD) and have made 6 layers in PhotoShop, three using GADWIN and three using PRINT SCREEN of an O&A screen.

Last night I couldn't do more than one.......

So maybe the EDIT>PURGE worked, but I would have thought I would have to use it each time...

Computers......Love 'em (but usually it is the human operator)

It still doesn't work for me. The most I can get is one Prt Scr per launch of Elements 5. Once again I am left with the feeling that there is some other, as yet unknown to me, setting that needs to be changed in order to get the consistent behaviour that I would have expected.

As it isn't something that I want to do on a frequent basis, and as I have a work-around (albeit a cumbersome one), I am not going to invest any more of my time on this.

regards,

Peter

Hoo boy look what I started :o

What still baffles me is why I only have this problem with PTE 5.6 final O&A screen capture into Photoshop but not with anything else I've noticed in Photoshop, and why Word and WordPerfect have absolutely no trouble at all with any screen capture (so far, please pixies don't be tempted :( )

Obviously the problem isn't PTE blocking Print Screen, because I AM getting the screen capture in the Clipboard, only Photoshop can't access the darn thing if it came from 5.6 O&A window (but 5.5 no problem).

And the several glasses of wine and the good night's sleep last night didn't help a bit ...

Don't you just LOVE Windows computers? :ph34r:

Thanks again Jim for the Gadwin reference, I love those nice JPGs, and they stay in the default folder and don't turn into pixie dust when I copy something else from the screen :lol: I think I'll just forget about the Windows utility from now on and use Gadwin, but I did go into MSCONFIG and disabled the Startup utility for Gadwin. I would rather call it up when I need it, from the desktop shortcut, then have yet another TSR loading into memory every time I turn on or reboot my computer :angry:

If I can help... I've been using MwSnap for quite a long time and had never had such a problem, although I make many screenshots for tutorials for my forum and my website; it's a free, simple and reliable piece of free software - (look here).

I attach below 2 screenshots made with it (and then reduced to a smaller size with Photoshop CS3, so as not to take too much space here on the forum).

Both come from the O&A window of PTE 5.6, of course, and they've been taken one after the other with MwSnap (you'll notice the difference on the slide and on the timeline). MwSnap offers many possibilities, like capturing a selected area (which I did here, this is why there are diffrences in the area taken) or even Windows menu items - very convenient for tutorials!).

pte56_printscreen1.png

pte56_printscreen2.png

If I may, while I'm here, a little suggestion for screenshots for tutorials: the quality is much better, by far, if saved as .png rather than in .jpg. Being just screenshots of, usually, menus and the like, there's not much weight difference and I can assure you that the quality is best.

Gerald,

Thats a very nice Program ~ thank you for sharing it. We also use 'PNG-Images' for editing with 'Type-3' Scalable Fonts.

They are so much better for editing than JPegs ~ and as you know there is very little "corrosion" with PNG's compared to

JPeg's particularily when they are carrying Scripts.

On the matter of Screen-Captures and Photoshop and Clipboards here are a few 'facts' which PC.Owners may not know !

1)

With many XP and Vista Pc's there are some vital Accessories turned-off by 'default' so as to deny 'User-deployment' and can

only be accessed by Keyboard-inputs. Unfortunately this 'default gives priority to some Auto-Start Programs (eg:-Photoshop)

to the exclusion of other Programs trying to gain access to vital Accessories. (Win Media-Player is another example).

2)

PC.Users make mistake's when installing Programs of selecting from the Program "Option/Prefrences" '~ AutoStart' on Bootup

or selecting 'Always on Top' ~ the latter gives more problems than anything else ~ if its active, deselect it.

3)

To see if your 'Accessories' are configured correctly refer to the 2 "Attachments" below. In particular make sure 'Clipboard' is

turned-on and the same applies to 'Paint' and 'Character-Map'. All of these should appear in your Program Start-Lists.

See "Attachment 3".

Hope this helps,

Brian.Conflow.

post-1416-1234743130_thumb.png

post-1416-1234743144_thumb.png

post-1416-1234743155_thumb.png

Gerald / Brian,

I am sure it is a wonderful programme, but once again it does not deal with the issue in this thread.

Why does it happen with the Windows clipboard and pasting into Photoshop CS / Elements?

Why is it intermittent? If it were something that was turned off/on either by default or otherwise, why would it work once and then fail?

DaveG

DaveG

Simple answer to that:- Something else in the background has grabbed your 'Clipboard - unknown to you ?

It's why I went to the trouble showing people how to get access to it and why it should be in your Start-Menu.

If you dont know whats on the 'Clipboard' (at that point in time) how are you to know what's happening with it

particularily if you have used the "Save" command somewhere in the intervening period ?

Put it on the 'Start-Menu List' so you can diagnose what's going on...

Brian.Conflow.

"Attachments" below show why....

post-1416-1234778988_thumb.png

post-1416-1234779002_thumb.png

post-1416-1234779017_thumb.png

I am sure it is a wonderful programme, but once again it does not deal with the issue in this thread.

Well, sorry.

I thought that giving one simple solution to the problem of taking successive screenshots to edit them in Photoshop was dealing with the original issue and could be useful.

I use Photoshop CS3 everyday, with Win XP, and although I don't have this problem I wanted to help.

Hi Brian,

Are you running Windows XP Pro?

Is it possible that some of your examples above are not applicable to XP Home Premium or XP Media Centre Edition?

DaveG

Dave,

We are talking about the 'Clipboard' utility its a core-component of every Windows Operating System and it resides

down in C:\WINDOWS\system32. We are running many Pc's here in our Workshops including XP-Home......

But that irrelevant...because 'Clipboard' is intergral in every Win-System, hidden or otherwise.

As I have said, many XP's and Vista Systems (all types) have it suppressed.."denied to User"...as Windows uses it.

I know its stupidity, but thats the 'Big-Daddy' syndrome of Microsoft.

Clipboard is in the Accessories List and of course it can be turned-on for 'User Usage'. If its not there the PC won't

work correctly ~ or in your case it may be a 'hidden-file' ~ if so do a Start-->Search for Clipbrd, thats correct Clipbrd

and it should find it. (Firstly make sure the Folder-Attributes are 'set'...Show Hidden Files etc:- See below)

Brian.Conflow.

post-1416-1234790388_thumb.png

Relax Brian,

I have Clipboard Viewer as a Start Menu item (PINNED).

I was refering to the fact that on my XP Home and Media Centre PCs the "Set Program Access and Defaults" in System Tools is NOT an option.

The point I was making was that screen shot POSSIBLY ( yes that's right POSSIBLY) refers to XP Pro and NOT to XP Home etc. so those of us with XP Home etc MIGHT POSSIBLY be scratching our heads and wondering what you are talking about?

It's a lesson for all of us - we CANNOT assume with WINDOWS that we are all looking at the same thing in the same place.

Best wishes - the boys done good on the weekend?

DaveG

Dave,

I am writing these Posts on a Hewlett-Packard Laptop XP-Home ~ not only am I replying to you

but others also have similar problems regardless of type of Operating-System.

Those user's have to be considered (because they are reading these Posts) and on seeing the

number of 'screen-shot' downloads there certainly is a case for making things clearer concerning

the 'Clipboard' utility...and as far as I am concerned that's the Topic of this Thread.

Irrespective of PC Op-System or Photoshop, that's where the books stops, at the 'Clipboard' utility.

Quoted.."the boys done good on the weekend"..lets hope it continues?

All the best...

Brian.