WnSoft Forums

Float & Dock "Mini-player" - Hide/Unhide File Panel

fh1805

If improvements in the audio handling capability of PTE were to be made, it seems to me that it will be necessary to be able to tailor the appearance of the PTE window with even greater flexibility than is currently possible.

One such change could be to allow the Mini-Player to be "undocked" - and floated as an independent window. While in its "floated" state it would then be possible to re-size the Mini-Player window independently of the rest of the PTE main window.

If the File Panel could also be Hidden/Unhidden then it would be possible to have complete control over what appeared in the PTE window. It could, if the user so desired, be devoted entirely to audio-tracks and the Slide List, with a floating Mini-Player.

I stress that I would see these as options with nothing being forced upon anybody; just like the display of the Folder Tree can be switched on or off at present.

regards,

Peter

... One such change could be to allow the Mini-Player to be "undocked" - and floated as an independent window. While in its "floated" state it would then be possible to re-size the Mini-Player window independently of the rest of the PTE main window.

A similar feature should also be offered for the O&A window. Under the hypothesis that this window (sooner or later) will also show several audio tracks and (optionally) a separate timeline for each single object (providing a simultaneous view of all keypoints), it would would be best to have the screen of the O&A section in a separate window.

Best regards,

Xaver

Munich

Add my vote in the positive on this one.

The top priority for enhancements to PTE for me is the audio area, but as you say Peter this would be the logical next step to take following the audio improvements.

...The top priority for enhancements to PTE for me is the audio area.....

John,

In my eyes this cannot be seen independently. If you fill the main window (or the O&A window) with lots of audio tracks, you must provide a place for the player's screen. I think that the additional window is a "must".

Best regards,

Xaver

This also has my vote.

I would also suggest making the Directory Tree hide-able. Both the Directory Tree and the File Panel are very handy features, but I (and probably many other users) don't need either of them on the screen all the time. Once you have your images Added to the show, unless you discover you need another image during editing or can't remember whether a specific image has already been used and want to check the bolding on the file name, there really is little point in having these panels active on the screen while you're working in the timeline or doing other show edits.

A good analogy is the options in Nikon Capture NX2, where the equivalents (the Folders and Browser panels), and indeed all the panels in the software, can be opened or closed at will by clicking on an x next to the panel name along the sides of the window. The screen appearance thus can be completely customized to the user's own taste at a particular moment during their personal workflow, having every panel open, a few panels open, one panel open, or nothing but the image open. I'm sure there are ample other software examples of this.

That would provide ample "screen real-estate" for audio-track blending, as well as the suggestions made elsewhere for waveform and multiple object-timeline displays in O&A etc.

And if you don't want to use the options and just want to stick with the current View options in the menu at the top of the screen, you could still do that too. But why constrain everyone to the same screen layout(s)?

Ed,

The Directory Tree already is hideable very easily. Look down its left hand margin and you will see some fine lines. Click on these and, Hey presto, the lady has vanished! Alternatively you can use the View...Show Tree command to toggle it on and off.

regards,

Peter

Here's an idea - it was recently requested that Multi Monitor capability be built in.

If this was done it might be possible to have any combination of Timeline / Mini Player or O&A with multi keypoint tracks on one monitor and the main display on another?

I disagree with the Audio Tracks but if you must have it that would appear to be a way forward.

DaveG

Here's an idea - it was recently requested that Multi Monitor capability be built in.

If this was done it might be possible to have any combination of Timeline / Mini Player or O&A with multi keypoint tracks on one monitor and the main display on another?

I disagree with the Audio Tracks but if you must have it that would appear to be a way forward.

DaveG

That might be one way forward, for those who have the money or (more critically in my own case frankly) the space on the table to accommodate two monitors, but it won't help those of us who prefer (or have not much choice but) to use only one monitor. Also it won't help people who want to use PTE on a laptop away from home and don't have access to an external monitor ...

I'm not saying don't provide the multi-monitor option, but I am saying don't assume that all, or even a majority, of PTE users have, want to have, or are able to have multi monitors going at the same time.

Ed,

The Directory Tree already is hideable very easily. Look down its left hand margin and you will see some fine lines. Click on these and, Hey presto, the lady has vanished! Alternatively you can use the View...Show Tree command to toggle it on and off.

regards,

Peter

Thanks for mentioning that Peter, I hadn't noticed (or had forgotten) that feature. Would be nice to have it also for the File Panel too ...

Hi Ed,

No assumptions made (I'll leave that to others) but what I was offering was an option to the overcrowded monitor problem if Multi Tracking is introduced.

To illustrate, I have just counted 65 objects in a slide that I am currently working on. If there were a keyframe track for each object..............

I can't envisage being able to see track 1 and track 65 at the same time, even on a Multi Monitor system, without some sophisticated switching arrangement for tracks.

Nevertheless, for those who can afford it, want it or have enough space for it, Multi (Dual) Monitor support would not only help in this problem but make the days a little brighter for at least one other member here (not me).

http://www.picturestoexe.com/forums/index....=9351&st=23

DaveG

Guest Yachtsman1

A thought for those of us who have to prioratise what we spend. When I bought my last TV set I made sure it had a VGA connection so i could watch my shows on a large screen without having the fag of connecting up the projector. If this dual monitor suggestion is compatable with my set-up then I could see its advantage, but only if it doesn't consume more ram, amps or dosh.

Yachtsman1