WnSoft Forums

Problem with menu in v561

Problem with menu in v561 :

1) The mouse cursor does not change of aspect when passing over a button with a valid link, this seems to be a remaining bug to be fixed asap

2) With a menu, we expect that a clic action on a link will open the slide whose number has been specified in "go to the slide number N". In fact, it opens the "N-1" slide and not the N slide as specified if there is a transition effect associated with the N slide. In case of a link action, the transition effect should be disabled.

In the following example the transition effects are disabled for the slides with link action except for the slide "Les boutiques" on which the problem is visible. By clicking on the "Les boutiques" link that will open the "Suite des scenes de rues..."test_menu.zip

Best regards

Daniel

Problem with menu in v561 :

1) The mouse cursor does not change of aspect when passing over a button with a valid link, this seems to be a remaining bug to be fixed asap

2) With a menu, we expect that a clic action on a link will open the slide whose number has been specified in "go to the slide number N". In fact, it opens the "N-1" slide and not the N slide as specified if there is a transition effect associated with the N slide. In case of a link action, the transition effect should be disabled....

Daniel,

1) For buttons the mouse cursor should not show a change, but you can configure the button in a way that it shows a change when the mouse cursor hits it.

2) See here! I have made a suggestion on this subject.

Best regards,

Xaver

Munich

Thanks Xaver for your reply but

Daniel,

1) For buttons the mouse cursor should not show a change, but you can configure the button in a way that it shows a change when the mouse cursor hits it.

I do not understand your point could you explain.

2) See here! I have made a suggestion on this subject.

Sorry I had not seen your previous post on the subject and will support your suggestion.

Best regards,

Daniel

Thanks Xaver for your reply but I do not understand your point could you explain....

- Go to the O&A window for some slide

- Add a button

- Highlight the button in the Objects list

- In the Common tab: choose any action on mouse click

- In the Properties tab you now have 3 fields to choose colors for your button.

- Choose different colors and test it during full screen preview (not in the O&A-player, not in the mini player)

Best regards,

Xaver

Thanks Xaver,

yes it works, but that is a pity there is no mention of link colors in the properties tab. But in fact that does not change the real problem. Either a valid link is indicated by changing color of text either it is indicated by changing the mouse cursor aspect but not both! As you can see on the example provided, when menu are made with only Text, the mouse cursor changes as an hand when passing over the text associated with valid link, but with button PTE works in another way that is not acceptable. I suggest that for both text or button the way to indicate a valid link should be exactly the same. That will ease the use of this PTE function for everybody.

Best regards

Daniel.

...I suggest that for both text or button the way to indicate a valid link should be exactly the same...

Daniel,

In case of images or text objects, the cursor changes, these are objects where you normally do not expect to have an action. Buttons (where you expect an action) change themselves. Why not?

Best regards,

Xaver

Xaver,

I am not in favor of that for several reasons

1) there are too many sophisticated traps for beginners like this one inside PTE and we, in our club, must explain exactly as you have done in your previous post (thanks again )

2) if you consider this Wnsoft forum you can see there is only one way to indicate a valid link whatever the design : text or button, there is no longer change of color for valid link but only the mouse cursor change in hand aspect. And now on, most of web sites are following this way that is a fact.

3) developpers should keep PTE as simple as possible for common users, expert always find the convenient solution for them!

Daniel.

Daniel,

2) if you consider this Wnsoft forum you can see there is only one way to indicate a valid link whatever the design : text or button, there is no longer change of color for valid link but only the mouse cursor change in hand aspect. And now on, most of web sites are following this way that is a fact.

Unless Im missing your point ... you are able to change the colors on your Text object to meet the various mouse positions.

Pte wont work like web pages because it does not run in a browser class window. You can however make the Text objects simulate the effect.

*As for the Button mouse-over cursor changing to a hand pointer ... I personally like the effect, however the current button scheme Pte uses works just like the normal buttons as used in everyday Windows where the default cursor is used and does not change . The butons you see used with a in a browser class window function by a different properties scheme.

See Attachment:

post-45-1237980443_thumb.jpg

Hi nobeefstu,

Yes, thanks you for your reply, you are right but it is not the real problem.

For a better understanding, I just want to point out that I try to promote PTE in our club, and we try, daily, to explain to our members how to use it.

They just want to use it for simple slideshow not to make sophisticated things.

The question comes up with menus.

And there are several problems with PTE :

1) as explained in my first post, the problem of transition when using "go to slide number x" ...see Xaver post on the subject. I am in favor of his suggestion.

2) problem of mouse cursor over valid link

-If you begin to work your "Text" with "properties tab" which is the normal way, and you go after that to "common tab" for linking it with an action, you will miss the possibility to change the color of the text but however and by default you will get the mouse cursor change to the hand which indicates the valid link and that is perfect for everybody.

- If you do exactly the same as above but with a "Button" there is nothing at all, the mouse cursor does not change, that is the trap (bug?).

So my suggestion for this last point is :

PTE should react exactly the same way whatever the object : Text , Button... and so, by default (if there is no change of color) the mouse cursor should be changed to an hand for the Button in the same way as for the Text. I think that should not be very difficult to fix for PTE developpers and that will ease the use of this PTE function for everybody.

Best regards

Daniel

Hi Daniel

I'm backing you on this one.

Regards, Ken

Hi Ken,

thanks for your support. I am sorry, I have not found your post on the same subject before writing this one but I understand that we are on the same line.

Daniel

Xaver,

You mean this point ... I was making clear to all users that the Text objects also provide the same color function as does your discussion of buttons.

The only thing that you are missing is that this point has already been discussed a few posts further up in this thread ...

- Go to the O&A window for some slide

- Add a button

- Highlight the button in the Objects list

- In the Common tab: choose any action on mouse click

- In the Properties tab you now have 3 fields to choose colors for your button.

- Choose different colors and test it during full screen preview (not in the O&A-player, not in the mini player)

Daniel,

So my suggestion for this last point is :

PTE should react exactly the same way whatever the object : Text , Button... and so, by default (if there is no change of color) the mouse cursor should be changed to an hand for the Button in the same way as for the Text. I think that should not be very difficult to fix for PTE developpers and that will ease the use of this PTE function for everybody.

Im one for aggreement for maintaining a consistency ... however there is still futher pitfalls one needs to remember. Pte uses your system default cursors for the Normal Select and Link Select. If your slide show user has custimized their system cursors ... they will see something different than you. Example: My default Normal Select cursor is a left-hand arrow

... and Pte uses that arrow which is fine by me, however other users will get their default Normal Select cursor. The same goes for the default Link Select uphand cursor ... other users may have customized it to be something else.

... and Pte uses that arrow which is fine by me, however other users will get their default Normal Select cursor. The same goes for the default Link Select uphand cursor ... other users may have customized it to be something else.

Hi nobeefstu,

so whatever the mouse cursor aspect customization, in any case, PTE should react exactly in the same way for Text and Butons, I do not ask for a specific mouse cursor aspect.

Daniel

Hi Folks

I have devised a simple method of simulating a change of cursor appearance when positioned over a button. Place an invisible object (frame) over the button, adjust to size, then program it to function as a button. Finally de-activate the button.

I am not suggesting it as a solution to the problem, as the majority of users of Pte will be un-aware of this technique. It may convince the doubters of the need, and possibly persuade WNSoft to provide the option.

I hope you don't mind Daniel, I have taken the liberty of applying this technique to your menu, to demonstrate the effect, and to show how it is applied.

Regards, Ken

test_menu_yemen_2.zip

I hope you don't mind too much Daniel, I have taken the liberty of applying this technique to your menu, to demonstrate the effect, and to show how it is applied.

test_menu_yemen_2.zip

Hi Scorpion,

You have done a good work, that is exactly what we would like for the buton fonction, but obviously, as you said without having to use such a clever way!

Thanks for this very clear demo

Best regards

Daniel.

• 2 months later...