WnSoft Forums

Delay in keyboard control of show

In v5.6.1 if the option "Project Options | Advanced | Permit Control of show using keyboard" is checked, the slide transitions can be controlled by the left and right arrow keys.

Pressing the keys when the sequence is running moves backwards and forwards as expected. If the sequence is paused (using space bar or Pause key) the right arrow key moves forward as expected. However the first press of the left arrow key is ignored. Subsequent presses moves backwards as expected. The same delay occurs in reverse.

The above also happens if using the mouse and navigation bar.

This does not occur in v4.47.

Further investigation shows that in v5.6.1 in play mode the forward jump is to the beginning of the transition to the next slide. In pause mode the the forward jump is to the end of the transition to the next slide. The reverse jump is to the end of the transition to the previous slide whether in play or pause mode.

In v4.47 in both play and pause mode the forward jump is to the beginning of the transition to the next slide. In pause mode the sequences runs briefly to the end of the transition before pausing again. The reverse jump is to the beginning of the transition to the previous slide whether in play or pause mode. Again in pause mode the sequences runs briefly to the end of the transition before pausing again.

Can anyone confirm/explain the delay effect in v5.6.1?

Presumably the difference in jumping behaviour between v4.47 and v5.6.1 is an intended feature which probably does have some logic to it.

Cedric

Guest Yachtsman1

Are you using a transition between slides, ie fade or "quick no transition"? Are you using the same PC in 5.6 as used in 4.7? I'm only guessing :unsure:

Yachtsman1

Cedric,

Whilst I agree that there is something not quite right about the navigation using left / right arrows, could I urge you to upgrade to 5.6.4?

Bringing up problems with older versions or Betas is non productive and any problems that you find in 5.6.1 COULD have already been fixed by 5.6.4.

DaveG

Hi Cedric,

I have checked this in 5.6.4 and when in pause mode it seems to take TWO presses of the left or right arrows to change direction of navigation.

Once the direction of navigation is changed (i.e. forward to backwards or vice versa) a single press of the arrow button will continue in the current direction.

When not in pause mode a single press in either direction will work.

DaveG

Are you using a transition between slides, ie fade or "quick no transition"? Are you using the same PC in 5.6 as used in 4.7? I'm only guessing :unsure:

Yachtsman1

There needs to be a transition of some sort between the slides to observe the effect. Yes it is the same PC - I have 4.47 still installed. As I remarked I think this difference is a deliberate 'improvement' whereas the delay or double-press seems like a bug to me.

Cedric,

Whilst I agree that there is something not quite right about the navigation using left / right arrows, could I urge you to upgrade to 5.6.4?

Bringing up problems with older versions or Betas is non productive and any problems that you find in 5.6.1 COULD have already been fixed by 5.6.4.

DaveG

I agree - sheer laziness on my part but updates do seem to come out so frequently.

I have updated to v5.6.4 and the symptoms are the same. What you describe (TWO presses of the left or right arrows in pause mode) is what I am experiencing.

Guest Yachtsman1

Suggest you try the same action and remove the transition in customise slide, tick use own transition effect, tick quick (no transition effect) and report back. ;)

Yachtsman1

Hi Cedric,

I have checked this in 5.6.4 and when in pause mode it seems to take TWO presses of the left or right arrows to change direction of navigation.

Once the direction of navigation is changed (i.e. forward to backwards or vice versa) a single press of the arrow button will continue in the current direction.

When not in pause mode a single press in either direction will work.

DaveG

I should think this action is quite normal. Once a show is paused with the spacebar etc., it needs another key press to terminate the pause and continue the show. Whether this is the spacebar followed by a left or right arrow, or two presses of a left or right arrow, is optional. In other words, probably any key will terminate the pause, so you might as well use two presses of an arrow to do the job.

Colin

I think this behaviour (requiring a double press of the arrow keys to change direction) may be a bug. PTE v5.52 required only one such click. I'll send Igor an e-mail to draw his attention to this thread.

regards,

Peter

Colin and Peter,

In PAUSE mode pressing either of the arrows does not resume play.

The first press appears to do nothing and the show remains in pause mode whilst the second press takes you backwards or forwards remaining in pause mode.

Pressing back arrow followed by forward arrow does nothing - the two presses have to be in the same direction.

DaveG

I have updated to v5.6.4 and the symptoms are the same. What you describe (TWO presses of the left or right arrows in pause mode) is what I am experiencing.

I have just tried running an exe file made with 5.6.4 and do not experience the problems mentioned. Both left and right keys are immediately effective after only one keypress even after pause using the space bar. The display can be switched rapidly in each direction without a problem.

Alan

Alan,

Could you please create a small (3-4 slide) test sequence that works on your PC and then upload it as a "Create backup in Zip"? Your experience is different to everybody else's; which leads me to wonder whether it is something that is dependent upon other Project Options settings. If I could see your project file and compare to mine I might get a lead on this aspect of the problem.

regards,

Peter

Alan,

Could you please create a small (3-4 slide) test sequence that works on your PC and then upload it as a "Create backup in Zip"? Your experience is different to everybody else's; which leads me to wonder whether it is something that is dependent upon other Project Options settings. If I could see your project file and compare to mine I might get a lead on this aspect of the problem.

regards,

Peter

I have used the Pte show file with a slight addition where I was experimenting with borders to images. the Project options advanced option as is shown below.

I have checked the file out and the direction changes are definitely after only one press but I would agree that the pause by using space bar followed by direction arrows changes slides but does not restart the show. In my enthusiasm I thought it was, may be I was wrong :huh:

If you would still like the file I'll send it via media fire.

Alan

post-5587-1242991893_thumb.png

I PARTLY agree with Alan.

I tried this immediately after installing 5.6.4 and wheras in 5.6.3 it was necessary to click on an arrow twice directly after pausing it is now only necessary to click once to, for instance , go back one slide.

However it is still necessary to click an arrow twice to change direction.

DaveG

DaveG,

Not quite true Dave! Yes, it is still necessary to click an arrow twice to change direction from moving backwards to moving forwards - but to change direction from moving forwards to moving backwards only one click is needed (As Alice said: "Curiouser and curiouser!")

regards,

Peter

I think all the observed behaviours, both in pause mode and play mode and switching between the two can be summarised in two simple rules (as I am sure Igor would confirm).

To apply the rules you need to know which is the 'current' slide. This is found by comparing the time from the start of the sequence with the sum of the individual "display slide for" times for the slides. For example if the times for the first three slides are 5s, 7s and 9s then between 0 and 5s slide 1 is the current slide, between 5s and 12s slide 2 is the current slide etc.

1) If a backward command occurs, jump to the the previous slide at a point at the end of the transition to this slide.

2) If a forward command occurs, jump to the beginning of the next slide. Note that if there is a transition to this slide, the next image may not be visible after the jump, as the transition will only just have begun.

Drawing a diagram helps!

One day I'll get round to making a sequence.

Cedric