WnSoft Forums

Auschwitz

Peter: I'll revisit the Intro to correct the line spacing today.

Ken: Thank you for pointing me to those keyboard shortcuts. I never knew they were there.

Timing: The upper limit for shows for the competition is 8 mins. Now Im up to 9:26 secs which is ok, because I actually built in time I can get back. By reducing the slide time by 1 sec I can claw back 56 secs and there are actually 2 slides in there which I can take out if I have to apply a 'Directors cut', so I'm confident the show can go ahead as it now stands and meet the rules.

Davy: Wow, Thats a very powerful intro. For any other purpose I think I would go along those lines, but for the camera club audience I dont think it would work. Let me explain:

Last year, the winning entries [those chosen to represent the club] were virtually holiday snap shows. Seriously!

I watched in awe [i'd never used this type of programme before] as pics of Italy and the leaning tower flashed in and out of the screen, Rome faded in and out and the Grand Canyon and Vegas came in an explosion of fireworks, but I though, they were all missing the point.

I so wanted to see a show that taught me something, and also held me spell bound for the duration. Thats when I made my mind up to realise an ambition and get my subject matter for my masterpiece. A show such as you describe would do exactly as I have described for me...but not I think for the members who vote on the shows at the end of the selection night. I am very very grateful that you took the time and trouble to create an intro and upload it for me to see. Thats what I have learned about this forum already. Everyone will help if they can.

This show has evolved from a pretty amatuerish first attempt to a show which I think knocks last years entries out of the park. I dont know how the members will see it, but selected or not, I am very very proud of it.

Andrew.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I fixed the text intro slide spaces using the grid thingy in PS to get it exact. I also redone the credits slide to remove the names and include the fact that I bought a 2 track single use licence for the show. Lst year one of the entries had scans of a famous calender in it and the judge refused to mark it due to copyright infringement. I was determined that was not going to happen, so prior to my visit I contacted the publisher and bought a 2 track single use licence for the show. They were more than happy to help when I told their PR dept what I was doing.

So here we are with an adjusted version:

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?qnz5dywjygy

Andrew.

Peter: I'll revisit the Intro to correct the line spacing today.

Ken: Thank you for pointing me to those keyboard shortcuts. I never knew they were there.

Timing: The upper limit for shows for the competition is 8 mins. Now Im up to 9:26 secs which is ok, because I actually built in time I can get back. By reducing the slide time by 1 sec I can claw back 56 secs and there are actually 2 slides in there which I can take out if I have to apply a 'Directors cut', so I'm confident the show can go ahead as it now stands and meet the rules.

Davy: Wow, Thats a very powerful intro. For any other purpose I think I would go along those lines, but for the camera club audience I dont think it would work. Let me explain:

Last year, the winning entries [those chosen to represent the club] were virtually holiday snap shows. Seriously!

I watched in awe [i'd never used this type of programme before] as pics of Italy and the leaning tower flashed in and out of the screen, Rome faded in and out and the Grand Canyon and Vegas came in an explosion of fireworks, but I though, they were all missing the point.

I so wanted to see a show that taught me something, and also held me spell bound for the duration. Thats when I made my mind up to realise an ambition and get my subject matter for my masterpiece. A show such as you describe would do exactly as I have described for me...but not I think for the members who vote on the shows at the end of the selection night. I am very very grateful that you took the time and trouble to create an intro and upload it for me to see. Thats what I have learned about this forum already. Everyone will help if they can.

This show has evolved from a pretty amatuerish first attempt to a show which I think knocks last years entries out of the park. I dont know how the members will see it, but selected or not, I am very very proud of it.

Andrew.

Hi Andrew,

Glad you took things as intended.I would not want to cause you annoyance or embarrassment.

I don't have the technical ability of some of the folks here. With that though,I have no ego to bruise.

Good to see so many offering help and opinions.If the end result is that you win your competition,then we have all won.

I only read of your show late on. Perhaps I was the only one who found it a bit ironic that here was the most imfamous death camp of all time and folks

were picking up on spelling/grammer mistakes.(Yes I know it was to help,but you know what I mean).

Holiday snaps won your previous show! You better have some pacemaker batteries at the standby for your audience then!

It's horses for courses and I didn't know the background to this one.

Good luck with the show.

Davy

Andrew

looks good -- dont forget to adjust timing - we would not want you to get turfed for a few seconds

and maybe you should advise people that request use of show that it purposely goes black screen at end - "press esc to return to normal"

good luck

ken

Davy, Pacemakers and walking sticks are in abundance with us, so I'm going to have the Paramedics on standby. :lol:

I do know what you mean, but the judge will have these shows for a couple of months before they are shown back to the club and he'll no doubt go through them with a tooth comb.

Ken, yes, I'll include that on the notes on the disc front. We are asked to put a note in with the disc for any special instructions. I want to do a nice disc label for this show, even tho it will be an .exe file, it may just add a touch or professionalism, and get me that extra point.

Andrew

I fixed the text intro slide spaces using the grid thingy in PS to get it exact. I also redone the credits slide to remove the names and include the fact that I bought a 2 track single use licence for the show. Lst year one of the entries had scans of a famous calender in it and the judge refused to mark it due to copyright infringement. I was determined that was not going to happen, so prior to my visit I contacted the publisher and bought a 2 track single use licence for the show. They were more than happy to help when I told their PR dept what I was doing.

So here we are with an adjusted version:

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?qnz5dywjygy

Andrew.

Hi Andrew!

The possibility of single use license is news to me. Could you please expand on that?

/Lennart

Lennart, It is possible to ask for 'one time use' or in my description 'single use' permission. I asked for permission to include the 2 tracks in one show only which will be publicaly displayed once, and once only at our exhibition. I didnt mention that it has to go thro the selection process and then the competition, so I guess in the spirit of the law I'm in violation, but if you wont tell, I wont. :lol:

Andrew.

Hi Andrew,

I am kicking myself now for suggesting a mono version. I did honestly did not intend to get the debate side-tracked or suggest a re write ;-) I could have visited Auschwitz, but decided not to. I have seen enough horrors in Northern Ireland to do me a lifetime. I must tell you that I expected your show to be something similar to what DavyC produced - dark and disturbing. However; as we all know watching from afar, on TV or AV, is not the same as being there. Ask anyone who has seen the Grand Canyon on TV and then what they thought when they saw it in real life for the first time!

But at Auschwitz YOU were there and I was not, and what you have produced, your masterpiece, is what it means to you and not me, or anyone else. Clearly; you have devoted much time and effort into the project, and you have taken on board the comments offered here. The comments are simply that, just 'information' for you to consider.

And may I tell you that this forum does work. As a complete newcomer to AV I sought the advice and guidance from the forum for my first AV and after considerable input from members (many of whom have also responded here to your show) I was able to win a 1st. I could not have done it without the help and the generosity of members here. May I wish you the best for the competition.

I often show AV's at my local camera club and then report back to the author the thoughts of the audience. I normally only do this for folk that I know, those who in the past have given me help, and those who I know will be more than happy to receive such feedback (only some of whom post their AVs here, BTW). So if you would like some more 'detailed' feedback, please let me know. (I can , of course send them privately by email).

Mark Allen

Chairman Bangor and North Down Camera Club

Lennart, It is possible to ask for 'one time use' or in my description 'single use' permission. I asked for permission to include the 2 tracks in one show only which will be publicaly displayed once, and once only at our exhibition. I didnt mention that it has to go thro the selection process and then the competition, so I guess in the spirit of the law I'm in violation, but if you wont tell, I wont. :lol:

Andrew.

Thanks Andrew!

Whom did you approach? The distributor, agent, record company or other? :huh:

/Lennart

Andrew,

Wonderful final production, I will show it to my camera club later this month and give you some feedback that may be useful for you, thanks for the AV.

One point that I had not intended to bring to your attention but when I read you were intending to adjust the timing I thought I would.

Concerning the point where you change music tracks in the audio, it is best to have a change in the images also at this point and I noticed in your final production you have hit this point beautifully with a transition from exterior to interior images precisely with the change in the audio track, not sure if you intended this but well done. If you adjust the timing further please keep this in mind and select a suitable change in the image sequence to match the audio change..

Andrew,

Wonderful final production, I will show it to my camera club later this month and give you some feedback that may be useful for you, thanks for the AV.

One point that I had not intended to bring to your attention but when I read you were intending to adjust the timing I thought I would.

Concerning the point where you change music tracks in the audio, it is best to have a change in the images also at this point and I noticed in your final production you have hit this point beautifully with a transition from exterior to interior images precisely with the change in the audio track, not sure if you intended this but well done. If you adjust the timing further please keep this in mind and select a suitable change in the image sequence to match the audio change..

Yep. I'll be very aware of the timeing v music when I do alter it. I have no wish to ruin our masterpiece.

Andrew, I showed your (updated) show again this evening at my camera club, as some members hadn't seen it.

At the end there were some exclamations of "Wow" and so on... Members thought it was a thought provoking piece of work and during the show occasionally questions / comments were fired; like, "Are those beds?" Your AV generated much debate and some club members who had been to Auschwitz reflected that it was a great representation of what they had seen and felt emotionally.

FYI: I also showed DavyC's suggested intro. Opinions on this were mixed. Some members thought it would be an excellent way of setting the scene (albeit slightly shorter). Others disagreed and thought it would be too much and the silence and the text at the beginning (and end) allowed viewers to think.

You have clearly put a lot of work and thought into this AV, and so I thought you would be interested in some more detailed feedback.

Again, well done, a superb AV.