WnSoft Forums

Auschwitz

we will make this baby into a winner yet -- when did you say the test is -- 2010 ? :unsure::unsure::unsure:

ken

:lol: Ken. The selection night is in September/October depending on the incoming presidents sylabus. There are usually 11-15 entries of which 4 are chosen to represent the club against our opponent of that year. They are then judged by an independent judge and shown to both clubs with a recorded commentry by the judge. They are scored indivually for the club entries and the total deceides the winning club.

The judges score also dictates the local placings but the 4 selected are also shown as part of the annual exhibiton. Its quite a feather in the cap to be one of the four chosen to represent the club. We have some very good AV authors.

So yes the test will be in 2010 when the interclub competition takes place. :lol:

Andrew.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

:lol: Ken. The selection night is in September/October depending on the incoming presidents sylabus. There are usually 11-15 entries of which 4 are chosen to represent the club against our opponent of that year. They are then judged by an independent judge and shown to both clubs with a recorded commentry by the judge. They are scored indivually for the club entries and the total deceides the winning club.

The judges score also dictates the local placings but the 4 selected are also shown as part of the annual exhibiton. Its quite a feather in the cap to be one of the four chosen to represent the club. We have some very good AV authors.

So yes the test will be in 2010 when the interclub competition takes place. :lol:

Andrew.

Andrew - may I make just one criticism. On the first line I think you need a space between April and 1940. The way I read it, it appears to run minus a space.

Otherwise, I found it a very powerful show and the music is just perfect. Good luck in the competition. You must surely do well with this.

Maureen

Andrew - may I make just one criticism. On the first line I think you need a space between April and 1940. The way I read it, it appears to run minus a space.

Otherwise, I found it a very powerful show and the music is just perfect. Good luck in the competition. You must surely do well with this.

Maureen

Your right Maureen. I'll deal with that now. Thanks Maureen.

Andrew

No worries Colin, I'm more than grateful for the help.

I've changed the font to a standard font as you suggest, and it does look better. I do love those empty fonts tho. I just have the timing on the 'credits' slide to fix and then a cup of tea is in order. :lol: I faded the credit slide also having increased its time on screen.

Andrew

Great, Andrew! Your change to that sentence to remove 'whose' is first class, reads very well indeed.

I congratulate you on your willingness to accept constructive criticism, not many of us are able to do that - too much ego!

And I missed the no-space between April and 1940 in the first line, but Maureen picked it up. Excellent!

I would like your permission to use this show at our camera club meeting in June, if that's ok.

Kind regards,

Colin

Andrew,

I came back here to tell you about the space between April and 1940 but Maureen has beat me to it, great. :)

You must be very close to the final production of what I'm sure for you has become an epic. I would like to second Colin in congratulating you on how you have excepted the suggestions you asked for.

Also I think my camera club would appreciate, (enjoy is not the correct description), the AV when you have it completed, like Colin I too would like to show it there if possible.

My friends,

I more than appreciate the help and very sound and valid advice I have had from you. It has been a steep learning curve, there's no denying it, but I was determined to get it the best I could. Of- course anyone who wishes to use it may do so with my best wishes.

The lessons I have learned in creating this can only be an advantage. I have to take my grandchildren home today, so I'll post the final version tonight or tomorrow.

Thank you so much.

Andrew.

Hi Andrew,

I've come to this very late in its development but I have one point to make for your consideration. It concerns the text over which you have taken so much time and accepted so much constructive comment. In it you mention three dates but your style of presenting them varies. I cannot make my own mind up as to whether the style should be the same each time (i.e. all "Month nnth yyyy" or all "the nnth of Month yyyy"). Using the same style gives consistency and precision to the text (perhaps reflecting the industrial precision that the Nazis brought to their process of genocide). Varying the styles puts your own personal stamp on the sequence.

I don't have an answer here for you, simply a point for you to consider.

regards

Peter

Hi Andrew,

I've come to this very late in its development but I have one point to make for your consideration. It concerns the text over which you have taken so much time and accepted so much constructive comment. In it you mention three dates but your style of presenting them varies. I cannot make my own mind up as to whether the style should be the same each time (i.e. all "Month nnth yyyy" or all "the nnth of Month yyyy"). Using the same style gives consistency and precision to the text (perhaps reflecting the industrial precision that the Nazis brought to their process of genocide). Varying the styles puts your own personal stamp on the sequence.

I don't have an answer here for you, simply a point for you to consider.

regards

Peter

Yes, that's another subtle point I missed as well. Well spotted, Peter! The style of 'nnth of Month Year' is British English, where the numerical equivalent is dd/mm/yyyy, and 'Month nnth Year' is American, corresponding to mm/dd/yyyy. Depending on where Andrew is domiciled, he may like to use his country's format. (I am not sure what France and other European countries use as their date formats - personally I like the Japanese form yyyy/mm/dd, which has the advantage of being directly sortable.)

I'm sure he will act on your suggestion when he gets home.

Regards,

Colin.

I got into a mess couple years ago - the standard for the world figure skating organization apparently is

dd/mm/yyyy

i had it set different and it screwed up my entries to the excel spreadsheet supplied by the organization - and i was TOLD :(

i think i had it set to mm/dd/yyyy

that is how we wrote it at work

no wonder the olympics are so screwed up :)

ms /usa prints it

3/23/2009

ken

The word "Reichsfuhrer" does not look good, and should be replaced by "Reichsführer-SS". From en.wikipedia.org on "Reichsführer-SS": "The title of this article contains the character ü. Where it is unavailable or not desired, the name may be represented as Reichsfuehrer-SS."

Regards,

Xaver

I got into a mess couple years ago - the standard for the world figure skating organization apparently is

dd/mm/yyyy

i had it set different and it screwed up my entries to the excel spreadsheet supplied by the organization - and i was TOLD :(

i think i had it set to mm/dd/yyyy

that is how we wrote it at work

no wonder the olympics are so screwed up :)

ken

Ken!

At least - you got the year correct... :lol:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calendar_date

/Lennart

Great work, all images in mono would IMHO be even more evocative. I found the greens a little overcooked.

Górecki's 3, Symphony of Sorrowful Songs might be too overpowering, but again IMHO really add to the emotion this AV. Barber's "Adagio for Strings" would also work, but is a little overused these days.

I have the attention span of a goldfish, but this Av kept in enthralled - right to the end.

Great work, all images in mono would IMHO be even more evocative. I found the greens a little overcooked.

Górecki's 3, Symphony of Sorrowful Songs might be too overpowering, but again IMHO really add to the emotion this AV. Barber's "Adagio for Strings" would also work, but is a little overused these days.

I have the attention span of a goldfish, but this Av kept in enthralled - right to the end.

I hesitated to comment on the music, having said so much about the text, but the music Andrew used from Schindler's List is very appropriate.

I did think of the 1812 Overture, some of the very evocative passages in that work would fit well, specially since most of the Auschwitz victims were Russian Jews.

Colin

I standardised the date format and have corrected the Reichfuhrer-SS line.

As for keeping the show in colour, I wasnt trying to recreate the camp as it was, but to keep the memory of that day for a long time, thus the day was in colour, so I wanted the show in colour. Nothing special, just a personal preference.

The music was always going to be Schindler. I dont know why, I just cant get past it for this.

Currently deleting the file from mediafire and loading the corrected/Final version.

I'll post it now and add the link in a minute. [Pausing for breath after having had my 3 grandaughters and Grandson for a week.] :wacko:

OK, This is what I consider to be the final version. I corrected the dates and the text lines and having reviewed it again and again I'm more proud of this than I can tell you.

With the help I've had I know I have the best chance to get a place in the exhibition. THANK YOU ALL.

If anyone wants to use it for any purpose, please feel free to do so.

Andrew.

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?kknoyhz1nyn

OK, This is what I consider to be the final version. I corrected the dates and the text lines and having reviewed it again and again I'm more proud of this than I can tell you.

With the help I've had I know I have the best chance to get a place in the exhibition. THANK YOU ALL.

Andrew.

Wonderful A V

but ----

would not put drop shadow on text last image

A V does not close after last slide ---- black screen -- have to press '' Esc '' to close show

beutifully done

Chrisw

Andrew.

Oops. Sorry Andrew, there are still two mistakes I can see. First, there is still no space between April and 1940 in the first line, and as Xaver pointed out, the u in Reichsfuhrer should be a ü. You can produce this character by holding down the Alt key and typing 129 on the numeric keypad. It will not work with the regular number keys on the keyboard.

"All that remains of Gas Chamber #1 and Crematoria #1" - this should be Crematorium #1.

Otherwise, I think you've done it.

Congratulations,

Colin

I finally figured out where that damn space should be. It just didnt look as if there should be one. [My head hurts]

Fixed the Reichsführer-SS [where can I find a list of those Colin and the keys that produce them?]

Fixed Crematorium #1.

Corrected version here:

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?a3zjomngiyz

Andrew,

Sorry to keep coming back to this (but you are aiming for perfection, aren't you?)

The opening text has some inconsistencies. Some paragraphs are separated by a blank line, others are not; and in one instance there are two blank lines between the paragraphs. I don't mind which way you do it, but I do think it would be better if you were consistent.

The second point I have to make concerns your music credits. I am assuming that you are UK-based and operating under either your own personal licence for copyright clearance or under the umbrella of the licence owned by your club. Either way, you should not give credit to the composer or performer of any musical work that you have taken from a commercial recording. So, crediting the music as being from Schindler's List is OK but mentioning John Williams and Izthak Perlman isn't.

I wouldn't want your entry to fail for either of these points.

regards,

Peter

P.S. It is not often that an AV sequence makes me feel that I want to vist the location for myself. Your sequence has had that effect on me. It is, indeed, an emotionally powerful sequence.

I've applied all the advice and hits/tips and I sincerely thank you all for the help.

This is the draft I think is best suited to get me a place in the selections for our club competition.

I'd appreciate any further comments and fine tuning you may think would help.

Again, thank you all.

Andrew.

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?higyw3mimgj

Hi Andrew,

Never been to Auschwitz and I don't think I ever want to.

OK,I have a different take on things. Maybe the route you prefer not to go down,but bear with me.

If this is for a competition, I think it needs something that I feel is missing and I don't mean spellings and grammer.

It needs to be shortened.Most of the scrolling text etc,have none, until the end and even then,much shortened.

The images contain your message.

It has to have impact and menace. Your pics are well seen and taken,but the backdrop of blue skys and fluffy clouds along with lush green grass

and maintained buildings, does not convey this.

Taking on some earlier comments,I would split the AV into 2 parts both visually and musically.

The first part to be in Grayscale with old photos and sound effect music to give the menace.

The second part then to portray your pictures and your selected music,to bring it into a modern context.

I downloaded some pics today (Google) and put them to very dark sounds. This is the sort of thing I mean by way of a menacing intro to your show.

It's a different take,but I think gives you more scope to make something more interesting.

OK,I uploaded an intro for you to look at.First time I have tried this,so don't shout if it won't work.

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=f04d77a...621d66e282a0ee8

Cheers,

Davy

Hi Andrew,

Never been to Auschwitz and I don't think I ever want to.

OK,I have a different take on things. Maybe the route you prefer not to go down,but bear with me.

If this is for a competition, I think it needs something that I feel is missing and I don't mean spellings and grammer.

It needs to be shortened.Most of the scrolling text etc,have none, until the end and even then,much shortened.

The images contain your message.

It has to have impact and menace. Your pics are well seen and taken,but the backdrop of blue skys and fluffy clouds along with lush green grass

and maintained buildings, does not convey this.

Taking on some earlier comments,I would split the AV into 2 parts both visually and musically.

The first part to be in Grayscale with old photos and sound effect music to give the menace.

The second part then to portray your pictures and your selected music,to bring it into a modern context.

I downloaded some pics today (Google) and put them to very dark sounds. This is the sort of thing I mean by way of a menacing intro to your show.

It's a different take,but I think gives you more scope to make something more interesting.

OK,I uploaded an intro for you to look at.First time I have tried this,so don't shout if it won't work.

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=f04d77a...621d66e282a0ee8

Cheers,

Davy

I'm afraid I can't agree about those changes; they amount to a complete change of tack and a rewrite of the whole show. We must allow the author to produce the show he wants to. Thus far, the extensive criticism has all been constructive and aimed at polishing the show as it is, and it's getting fairly well polished now.

If one wanted, one could see the blue sky and the green grass as the emergence from the terrible events that happened there, into the peace of today, and the promise that such a thing will never happen again. It all depends on your point of view.

There is one thing you mentioned that I don't think has been covered, and that is whether there is a time limit on shows entered into the competition. Here in NZ the National AV competition has a time limit of five minutes for a show, and disqualification happens if the show runs over that time. Andrew should double-check that.

Colin

I'm afraid I can't agree about those changes; they amount to a complete change of tack and a rewrite of the whole show. We must allow the author to produce the show he wants to. Thus far, the extensive criticism has all been constructive and aimed at polishing the show as it is, and it's getting fairly well polished now.

If one wanted, one could see the blue sky and the green grass as the emergence from the terrible events that happened there, into the peace of today, and the promise that such a thing will never happen again. It all depends on your point of view.

There is one thing you mentioned that I don't think has been covered, and that is whether there is a time limit on shows entered into the competition. Here in NZ the National AV competition has a time limit of five minutes for a show, and disqualification happens if the show runs over that time. Andrew should double-check that.

Colin

Thankyou for responding to my reply to Andrew. I'm sure we all want to offer opinions and help if we can.

I merely offered my thoughts. I just felt that an opportunity was being missed.

I haven't given any critisism,other than to give my take on an alternative direction.

'Changing tack and a rewrite of the whole show'. A PTE show is hardly the Director's cut of 'Gone With The Wind'.

It would be a dull forum if we all had the same points of view.

I can agree on one thing with you though,and that's to allow Andrew to produce his show, the way he wants to.

Davy

... I just felt that an opportunity was being missed...

...A PTE show is hardly the Director's cut of 'Gone With The Wind'...

...allow Andrew to produce his show, the way he wants to...

DavyC,

You are right; an opportunity was being missed - an opportunity to produce your sequence about Auschwitz. But this is Andrew's sequence. He is the Director (and Producer and Cameraman and Sound Engineer and Editor and Scriptwriter) and so this is precisely equivalent to the Director's cut of "Gone With The Wind". I'm sorry but the only one of your comments with which I agree is your last. It is, indeed, Andrew's show and we should let him produce it in the way that he wants to. To that end we should be offering him advice that will polish his telling of the story - and not advice that will result in him telling a different story or the same story in a different manner.

regards,

Peter