WnSoft Forums

Aotearoa

Almark

New Zealand is a long way away from Ireland, but well worth it. My wife and I were lucky to get really good weather, with the exception of the day we tried to get to Milford Sound (the weather was so bad we had to turn back!) However, every other day was a good sky day. FYI: Nikon D300, 18-200VR (mainly), Sigma10-20 (occasionally), graduated ND1 (often), all hand-held, all processed in Capture NX2 and some exposure blending from raw.

1st draft, should run on all screens, all comments welcome, [22MB]

http://www.markallenphotography.co.uk/mark...ries/nz2009.exe

New Zealand is a long way away from Ireland, but well worth it. My wife and I were lucky to get really good weather, with the exception of the day we tried to get to Milford Sound (the weather was so bad we had to turn back!) However, every other day was a good sky day. FYI: Nikon D300, 18-200VR (mainly), Sigma10-20 (occasionally), graduated ND1 (often), all hand-held, all processed in Capture NX2 and some exposure blending from raw.

1st draft, should run on all screens, all comments welcome.

Hi Mark - just had a quick look at your latest show before dashing away on holiday. Some wonderful, dramatic shots on there and great skies. Boy, but you were lucky with the weather!

I have only one criticism and that is purely my opinion, for what it's worth, and that is that I don't like to see horizontal and vertical images together unless the verticals are contained within a horizontal slide. I appreciate that you have put all the verticals together which is certainly easier on the eye than when used randomly. Just my humble opinion. Otherwise I found it very enjoyable indeed.

Maureen

Hi Maureen and thanks for taking the time to download and comment, much appreciated. I see what you mean, it would be cleaner - no doubt - so I will review this when I have more of my photos 'sorted'. Thanks to Davy C who pointed out a few problems, (diplomatically by email) these have now been fixed. BTW I think the 'something' you saw on the top of one of the pics was actually my finger holding a ND grad!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Mark,

Speaking of updating.I was waiting on an update to your first version of this AV.

Didn't realise that you had updated it,so well done.

The relaxing music blends in well the the Photos.

Those Maori Bargeboards are stunning.

Cheers,

Davy

Kia ora mark,There some gr8 photo's there i see you visted Rotorua, i could also see Ragitoto island from mission bay, i am glad you enjoyed your stay in Aotearoa.

Really wonderful pictures !!

For some pictures of sky, I really had the feeling the clouds were moving.

I think 3 or 4 picture could be removed from the show because a little bit too similar.

About the man who jump from the tower (3 pictures), I think something quicker would be more appropriate than a long sequence of about 5 seconds by picture.

I can easily imagine those pictures in portrait format to appear from left to right, the previous one disappearing when the next one appears.

Anyway, I really enjoyed your show, congratulations.

Mark

Some wonderful skys, you certainly did show us "The Land of the Long White Cloud".

Great images, well composed and exposed, set to very appropriate music. I enjoyed it a lot thanks for sharing. :)

One small niggle I must agree with Maureen regarding the mixing of horizontal and vertical images unless the verticals are contained within the horizontal slide boundaries. There are many different techniques that can be used to do this and maybe if you decide to do a future update to the AV you could investigate some.

Really wonderful pictures !!

For some pictures of sky, I really had the feeling the clouds were moving.

I think 3 or 4 picture could be removed from the show because a little bit too similar.

About the man who jump from the tower (3 pictures), I think something quicker would be more appropriate than a long sequence of about 5 seconds by picture.

I can easily imagine those pictures in portrait format to appear from left to right, the previous one disappearing when the next one appears.

Anyway, I really enjoyed your show, congratulations.

The Dom

Thank you for your detailed reply, Yes I think you are right, I will re do this soon, taking your comments on board.

Mark

Some wonderful skys, you certainly did show us "The Land of the Long White Cloud".

Great images, well composed and exposed, set to very appropriate music. I enjoyed it a lot thanks for sharing. :)

One small niggle I must agree with Maureen regarding the mixing of horizontal and vertical images unless the verticals are contained within the horizontal slide boundaries. There are many different techniques that can be used to do this and maybe if you decide to do a future update to the AV you could investigate some.

I thought I had sorted this, but clearly I haven't!

Mark

Not sure if I had the latest version so downloaded and viewed it again. :unsure:

I have attached a screen print of the dissolve from horizontal to vertical image from your AV.

On my screen, (set to 1280x960), as you can see the boundary of the first horizontal image is broken by the fade to the vertical image.

I find this always brakes the mood of an AV by reminding me I am watching a series of images. The same thing happens when a series of horizontal, or vertical, images of different size are used. IMHO.

post-3194-1245286406_thumb.jpg

Mark, I enjoyed this presentation very much. Your photography is what I most enjoyed. As we all know, the issue of mixing verticals and horizontal formats has been oft discussed and I hope I, at least, am always willing to learn and keep learning. And of course, our opinions and preferences can change even without learning new ideas. As suggested previously, I think the level of "botherance" that a viewer has for the mixing of formats, does tie closely to his expectation of what he is watching. If I am expecting a flowing "story", which some would argue is the "real" purpose of AV, then the format changes are surely a detriment to the flow. If, as you have on occasion indicated, the main purpose of the presentation is to present worthy photographs while listening to good music, then the mixing of formats and even sizes need not be so distractive. Indeed, if I am looking through a photo album, or even more so, a scrapbook of pictures, the variety of sizes and shapes is probably an artistic way to facilitate increased satisfaction for the viewer.

To me, ultimately, the most useful critical question toward any PTE presentation - how well did I achieve my purpose?

Mark

Not sure if I had the latest version so downloaded and viewed it again. :unsure:

I have attached a screen print of the dissolve from horizontal to vertical image from your AV.

On my screen, (set to 1280x960), as you can see the boundary of the first horizontal image is broken by the fade to the vertical image.

I find this always brakes the mood of an AV by reminding me I am watching a series of images. The same thing happens when a series of horizontal, or vertical, images of different size are used. IMHO.

Thanks John, I must fix this, I thought I had ;-) Back to my resizer and PTE for some more fun and games

Mark, I enjoyed this presentation very much. Your photography is what I most enjoyed. As we all know, the issue of mixing verticals and horizontal formats has been oft discussed and I hope I, at least, am always willing to learn and keep learning. And of course, our opinions and preferences can change even without learning new ideas. As suggested previously, I think the level of "botherance" that a viewer has for the mixing of formats, does tie closely to his expectation of what he is watching. If I am expecting a flowing "story", which some would argue is the "real" purpose of AV, then the format changes are surely a detriment to the flow. If, as you have on occasion indicated, the main purpose of the presentation is to present worthy photographs while listening to good music, then the mixing of formats and even sizes need not be so distractive. Indeed, if I am looking through a photo album, or even more so, a scrapbook of pictures, the variety of sizes and shapes is probably an artistic way to facilitate increased satisfaction for the viewer.

To me, ultimately, the most useful critical question toward any PTE presentation - how well did I achieve my purpose?

Good point, how well did it achieve its purpose? Well the folks at the camera club liked it, my wife didn't - as she wasn't in it - so I did one for her with all of the 'me in front of' type shots for one of her 'girlies' nights ;-)