WnSoft Forums

Speed options : sections separated by default

Right now, for an object, if you have 3 keypoints (or more) and apply the linear speed options, the linear speed option is applied to each section.

Next, instead of linear, if you apply an other speed option (smooth by example), the speed option is applied to the whole timeline.

You have to separate each section in order for the new speed option to be applied "correctly".

Why do the other speed options do not have the same logic than the linear speed option ?

A recent example of an advanced user who had difficulties to apply non linear speed option lets me think that sections should be separated by default.

And for my own experience, I very rarely have to keep sections glued.

Update : The purpose of my post is to change the default values to make it more easier for newcomers to use it :

When you apply a non linear speed option to an object, this speed option is applied BY DEFAULT to all sections individually without having to seperate all the sections.

It means all sections have to be separated by default (instead of glued by default).

Dom,

If you have three keyframes attached to an object and leave the default as "Separate" the PZR will ignore the middle keyframe and go from keyframe 1 to keyframe 3 at the set option (Smooth etc).

You must "Glue" to include the middle keyframe.

Try zooming an object from 100% to 200% and back again to 90% in the same slide and set Separate first and then change to Glue.

DaveG

...If you have three keyframes attached to an object and leave the default as "Separate" the PZR will ignore the middle keyframe and go from keyframe 1 to keyframe 3 at the set option (Smooth etc)...

I consider this effect rather as a bug than as a feature; disturbing for newcomers!

... You must "Glue" to include the middle keyframe ...

In my understaning: If you glue at a particular keypoint, it will be ignored, isn't it?

Regards,

Xaver

In my understaning: If you glue at a particular keypoint, it will be ignored, isn't it?

Regards,

Xaver

Apologies - I see what you mean - By clicking on "SEPARATE HERE" you set GLUE.

When you look at "Setting Up" it then offers you the option to click and return to "GLUE HERE".

Confusion!

DaveG

... Confusion ...

Dave,

I think that both of us know how to use the feature, but it seems that we use the notions of "glued" and "separated" just the other way round :)

Here PTE behaves in an inconsistent way: Switching the state of being glued or separated shows an effect in the smooth case (the corresponding keypoint will be ignored or not), but not in the linear case (keypoint will never be ignored). This is not a big problem but not very aesthetical.

Regards,

Xaver

Suggestion for alternative labelling:

Instead of "Separate Here" - GLUED

Instead of "Glue Here" - SEPARATED

Clicking on GLUED would toggle to SEPARATED.

Clicking on SEPARATED would toggle to GLUED.

The label in "Setting Up" would then always show the CURRENT status.

DaveG

Dom,

If you have three keyframes attached to an object and leave the default as "Separate" the PZR will ignore the middle keyframe and go from keyframe 1 to keyframe 3 at the set option (Smooth etc).

You must "Glue" to include the middle keyframe.

Try zooming an object from 100% to 200% and back again to 90% in the same slide and set Separate first and then change to Glue.

DaveG

Dave, thank you for your response but I perfectly know how the speed otpions work and how to use it. :)

But may be I need to be more precise :

The purpose of my post is to change the default values to make it more easier for newcomers to use it :

When you apply a non linear speed option to an object, this speed option is applied BY DEFAULT to all sections individually without having to seperate all the sections.

Does it make sense ?

Hi Dom,

I already admitted to a touch of "confusion" - I realise that you of all people would know how it works.

I think I understand your post a little better now.

My suggestion for re-labelling might help in addition to any action related to your suggestions?

DaveG

Hi Dom,

I agree that it would be "much" easier if there were a click box which could automatically set the "option" to separate all keyframes at once just as linear "glues" all keyframes simultaneously.

Of course we do need it to be an "option" and set as the "default," because there are times when we want to have some keyframes glued and some separated for certain types of animations. It's rare, but PTE gives us more versatility this way and sometimes, however rarely, we need the option.

I too have always wondered why smooth and accelerate were not also automatically separated as the default when chosen.

Oh, by the way, the logic is correct as you see it now. "Click Here to Separate" implies that the keyframes are presently "glued." "Click here to Glue" implies that the keyframes are presently "Separated."

I realize that this can be confusing, but it is logical as it is. Having the "option" set as a "default" to handle smooth and slow with automatically separated keyframes simultaneously is a great idea.

Best regards,

Lin

Dave, in my opinion, the labelling makes sense as it is now.

...but may be is it because I'm used to it. :unsure:

I would also like to see

"When you apply a non linear speed option to an object, this speed option is applied BY DEFAULT to all sections individually without having to seperate all the sections. "

with the addition

When you insert keypoints after applying the non linear speed option it should be inserted as a seperated section also.

If you want to change the behaviour afterwards, then you can use the additional detail-screen.

For newcomers it would be helpful if after changing Pan from linear to non-linear a window is displayed which recommends and allows to copy these settings to Zoom and Rotate (and vice versa). In my experience this is the standard case how to use non-linear.

Regards, Frank

• 1 month later...

Right now, for an object, if you have 3 keypoints (or more) and apply the linear speed options, the linear speed option is applied to each section.

Next, instead of linear, if you apply an other speed option (smooth by example), the speed option is applied to the whole timeline.

You have to separate each section in order for the new speed option to be applied "correctly".

Why do the other speed options do not have the same logic than the linear speed option ?

A recent example of an advanced user who had difficulties to apply non linear speed option lets me think that sections should be separated by default.

And for my own experience, I very rarely have to keep sections glued.

Update : The purpose of my post is to change the default values to make it more easier for newcomers to use it :

It means all sections have to be separated by default (instead of glued by default).

Dom

I full agree with your suggestion all sections have to be separated by default instead of being glued. This suggestion is very important for beginners with PTE (even for others)...the fact that all sections are glued by default leads to several misunderstood problems with non linear animations. Such problems have been raised several times on this forum in different ways.

Daniel.