WnSoft Forums

Can keypoints be 'spread'?

goddi

I am trying to understand how the keypoints work and I am making progress. However, I have a question on how I can spread the keypoints over the slide's timeline when I change the slides display time. Here is what I did: I started out with one slide and moved the slide (zoomed in) from the center to each corner of the screen and then back to the center (each movement last 1 second). The slide has an 'display time' of 6 seconds. I felt that everything zipped around too quickly, so I then changed the' display time' of this slide to 12 seconds. All of the keypoints stayed exactly as they were and there is now a 6 second time span after the last original keypoint. Is there any way to 'spread' the original keypoints over the new 12 seconds of display time so I don't have to do it manually??? Thanks... Gary

PS Just want to add that I mean to say to 'spread' the keypoints proportionally over the new 'display time'. Hope this makes sense...

Chuck... Yes, I understand that I can do that way but I would like to be able to click on a button to spread the 6 keypoints proportionally over the new increased (or decreased) 'display time' of that slide. It would make it much easier to tweek the 6 animations this way than having to do it manually. I think it would be a useful addition (if possible) if there is no other way than to do it manually. Thanks... Gary

Aha, the good question! I've waited when somebody will ask about this moment.

We have two kinds of keypoints:

- Exactly located at moments of beginning, ending of a slide and ending of a transition effects. These keypoints shown with "+" symbol on the timelines. And they will be automatically moved if you change time of a slide or duration of a transition effect.

- And freely located keypoints, you wrote about.

We still can't decide how to better do. Proportionally move these keypoints as you described above, or add special option for it, some button in Visual editor?

Igor, I think a button would be better, and "safer". It is nice now to be able to highlight and drag a single keypoint. That capability should be left as is. A button, "Equalize keypoint distribution" (or similar) could then also be sometimes useful.

I would say "give priority in any timing conflicts to the timeline and/or Project Options/Customize Slide settings.

Then have all keypoints adjusted to fit.

That means that the "free" keypoints would have to be re-located somehow within the boundaries set by the timeline, etc.

If the on-screen time were shortened, then some of the times of the "free" keypoints might have to be made to occur earlier, and perhaps the best way to do this would be to adjust all the free keypoints in proportion to the changes in the times for the main slide.

If on-screen time for the main slide is made longer, then the "free" keypoints could remain as they were, and it would be up to the maker to go back and adjust if necessary.

However, even here, in some instances, one might prefer a "proportional" treatment of the free keypoints, so maybe an option could be selected which would activate this mode.

Just my 2-cents' worth. :)

I am a little confused (still). In the slide that I was trying to adjust the 'slide's duration time', I did not see any "+" symbol. So I took a look at the second slide I had. I saw the only keypoint it had (at the very beginning), and it did have a "+" next to it. But if I moved the keypoint, the "+" dissappeared. So I am not sure what is going on here. Not sure how I can add any more keypoints with a "+" so they will "automatically move if you change time of a slide or duration of a transition effect". Did I misunderstand Igor's point???

So, anyway, I fiddled around with this this keypoint and eventually I messed it up so bad that I can not see the slide at all in the "Objects and Animation" window to make any adjustments. The only thing in the window is a small green square that I can not grab any of the edges to make it show up. Any hints on what I did wrong???

Thanks... Gary

Gary,

You likely shrunk the slide down to where you can't expand it with the mouse. Highlight the particular image by clicking on the appropriate image name in the bottom right section of the window, click on the little rectangle for one of the keypoints on the timeline in order to highlight it, and then manually adjust one of the "Zoom" values in the right-hand section of the window to 100%. (Adjusting the horizontal value will automatically adjust the vertical value to the same number). You should see your image object expand out to it's maximum size.

To see the + indicators, the keypoint has to be positioned at either the beginning or end of a transition marker or the image object start or end. It should snap in to the right spot if you put the keypoint close to it. Conversely, try moving a keypoint with a + showing already to a point elsewhere on the timeline, and you should see the + disappear. It's just a marker to indicate when a keypoint is positioned in certain key spots on the timeline. It has nothing to do with the ability to add another keypoint using the + button located just under the "Play" button.

Just had another thought as to what I am trying to explain. I have read Replies from other and sometimes I can not quite follow what their point is....my fault not theirs. I think I might be on a little different wavelength. But anyway...my thought is that there can be a button that will adjust all of the Keypoints proportionally across the amount of duration we give to that slide (in the Customize Slide/Duration of Slide For...). This would be similar to how it is now when you add or remove music from the slide show, all the slides adjust proportionally. Make sense....? or not???

Thanks... Gary

Gary,

You likely shrunk the slide down to where you can't expand it with the mouse. Highlight the particular image by clicking on the appropriate image name in the bottom right section of the window, click on the little rectangle for one of the keypoints on the timeline in order to highlight it, and then manually adjust one of the "Zoom" values in the right-hand section of the window to 100%. (Adjusting the horizontal value will automatically adjust the vertical value to the same number). You should see your image object expand out to it's maximum size....

Al, I tried your suggestion but it did not work. However, I see what I did. I actually went into both Zoom entry windows and typed in "0" to see what would happen. The image shrunk to zero. This might be a little bug that Igor might want to fix. You can not 'retrieve' the image like you mentioned. You cannot grab any of the 'handles' around the little green rectangle that represents what is left of the image. The only way to get the image back to visible size is to re-type "100" or some number into the Zoom setting windows.

Gary

This becomes a little difficult to know if we are all understanding the same thing. :) Al's logic I think is agreeable. I think maybe Igor, the most clear way to have it is : Have the button do only one thing. Do not have the button open a window. Just have the buttn evenly space the keypoints that are on the timeline at the moment the button is pushed. Then the timeline and project settings and all are not confused nor is the priority of user actions. Does that make sense to everyone? I think the "spacing button", while potentially useful, should not be a major event in the heirarchy on each slide.

This becomes a little difficult to know if we are all understanding the same thing. :) Al's logic I think is agreeable. I think maybe Igor, the most clear way to have it is : Have the button do only one thing. Do not have the button open a window. Just have the buttn evenly space the keypoints that are on the timeline at the moment the button is pushed. Then the timeline and project settings and all are not confused nor is the priority of user actions. Does that make sense to everyone? I think the "spacing button", while potentially useful, should not be a major event in the heirarchy on each slide.

LumenLux... Yes, I think you are saying more clearly what is in the back of my mind...one button for the timeline of the particular slide that has more than one Keypoint in it. Push the button and the Keypoints space out or in proportionally to where they were, based upon the new amount of time.

Gary

After we changed time of a slide (e.g. from 4 seconds to 7 seconds), we can't proportionally changes positions of keypoints. Because we don't know old time for moving keypoints.

It's necessary to do it at same time at one call: change time of slide + change times of keypoints.

Because of this:

- Or automatical changing of keypoints when we change time of slides.

- Or special window in Visual editor via button (to change time of current slide and proportionally move keypoints of objects on this slide).

I can't resolve this dilemma already several months.

After we changed time of a slide (e.g. from 4 seconds to 7 seconds), we can't proportionally changes positions of keypoints. Because we don't know old time for moving keypoints.

It's necessary to do it at same time at one call: change time of slide + change times of keypoints.

Because of this:

- Or automatical changing of keypoints when we change time of slides.

- Or special window in Visual editor via button (to change time of current slide and proportionally move keypoints of objects on this slide).

I can't resolve this dilemma already several months.

Igor.... I understand. I am greatful that you are listening in and looking at the 'problem'. Much appreciated.

Gary

Igor,

Rather than lose keypoints, as is the case now, I would be in favour of automatically readjusting "free" keypoints proportionally. That keeps things simple from a design perspective, too. I don't mean that it's simple to design this in - I am sure that this must be a very complicated issue for you, Igor. :)

• 3 months later...
Guest Techman1

Did you succeed to find a solution ? :unsure:

I'm sure you already know but this feature would be really really usefull...

Igor,

I'm with "TheDOM"! This feature would be very useful. Certainly not a show stopper, but maybe for consideration in Version 5.1 of PTE.

I must have missed this thread when it originally came out. I'm in favor of setting a button in the Customize Slide Section (Display Slide...) to Spread the points "when" you adjust the time on that particular slide. If it makes it easier for you to do it in the Objects and Animation portion as a button to spread, then that would work also (that's where you will want to see it anyway). Especially if the UNDO works in case you don't like it so you can manually just adjust the points as needed. Just having this as an option will make it a lot easier for a highly complex slide where you have numerous animations occurring.

Thanks for everything you continue to do for this great product.

Regards,

Fred

p.s. - Here is a quote from one of my clients (a repeat customer) on how pleased they are with the new animations that I'm able to create now that PTE can do this. I have done this before, but it was a lot more work and required other programs (Adobe Premiere, etc.).

Here's her quote; "I simply cannot come up with accurate words to tell you HOW MUCH xxxx and I just LOVE the DVD!!! It is perfect and it captures all the moments as we had pictured...and it's even better than we expected! We love the creative beginning and our "stats" cards! We are overwhelmed by how great the DVD turned out. The pictures, timing of the music, creative additions - it will really add to the uniqueness of our rehearsal dinner and I thank you for the time and effort!"

:wub:

• 4 weeks later...

I'm sorry for the late response.

Fred,

It's a good idea about checkbox in Customize slide window.

So I'll add the next checkbox below "Display slide for...":

- "Spread keypoints".

And maybe additionally "Spread effect duration", if it will be possible logically.

I hope to realize it in the nearest betas.