WnSoft Forums

Custom comment function

Stevie

I currently use PTE for proofing slide shows as well as AV shows of weddings, portraits etc and use the comment function to add the file number under each image. The exception to this is for the blank , corporate branding and instructional slides at the start and end of the show. Idealy I’d like to just turn off the comment here, but as that’s not an option I basically just use the customise function to change the comment text to the same colour as the background, so it doesn’t show.

However, in beta 11A the customise comment function for individual slides is not available.

I’ve just purchased the Video Builder upgrade because a customer has requested their proofs on DVD rather than CD but then discovered that I can’t get rid of the comments on some files. Is there a workaround for this or will Igor be re-implementing this function soon? I understand that I currently have a Beta version.

Thanks

I currently use PTE for proofing slide shows as well as AV shows of weddings, portraits etc and use the comment function to add the file number under each image. The exception to this is for the blank , corporate branding and instructional slides at the start and end of the show. Idealy I’d like to just turn off the comment here, but as that’s not an option I basically just use the customise function to change the comment text to the same colour as the background, so it doesn’t show.

However, in beta 11A the customise comment function for individual slides is not available.

I’ve just purchased the Video Builder upgrade because a customer has requested their proofs on DVD rather than CD but then discovered that I can’t get rid of the comments on some files. Is there a workaround for this or will Igor be re-implementing this function soon? I understand that I currently have a Beta version.

Thanks

Hi Stevie,

To delete unwanted comments on a slide:-

-Open slide in Objects & Animation, select the relevant text, this opens the text box "properties" Delete the Text.

Regards,

Limey

We removed customization of text comment for some slide because you can do it in Objects and Animation editor now. And you see result immediately on the screen.

I still am confused about this option.

Like Ken Cox, I want to add separate comments to each individual slide and version 5 seems to only add a single comment to ALL slides. Am I missing something? For example, If I want to add "church built in 1856" on slide 1 and then add the comment "John & Mary on thier wedding day" on slide 2, how is this done in version 5?

The old way seemed to be a lot easier so why has it been removed?

Ron West

Just click on the thumbnail you would like to add a comment to and then type the text into the comment space on the right hand side/middle of the screen.

You can even click on the image to preview what it looks like full screen and the comment featured.

This way is actually a lot easier/quicker.

Stevie

I still am confused about this option.

Like Ken Cox, I want to add separate comments to each individual slide and version 5 seems to only add a single comment to ALL slides. Am I missing something? For example, If I want to add "church built in 1856" on slide 1 and then add the comment "John & Mary on thier wedding day" on slide 2, how is this done in version 5?

The old way seemed to be a lot easier so why has it been removed?

Ron West

Hello Ron,

Adding separate comments to each slide has not changed in version 5. Main page "Comments".

Limey

Hello Ron,

Adding separate comments to each slide has not changed in version 5. Main page "Comments".

Limey

You are all missing the point that I am trying to make here!

I want to add different comments to each slide - I do not want to use the defaults suggested by PTE - I want to type in my own comments on each slide and the comments will be different for each individual slide. I cannot6 see how that can be done in version 5. Please show me if it is possible and where it can be done.

Ron

Hi Ron,

If you click on a slide in the thumbnail and enter a comment in the comment box just under "show image" that comment appears as an object in O & A. In O & A you can move it size etc. Click on the next thumbnail and add a new comment for the next slide.

You do not see the comment on the thumbnail but you will see it in O & A and in the Preview.

Kind Regards

Peter

Hello Ron, Hello to all,

This is a first try to make a description of the comment utility. It's for shure not complete. Maybe we can make it complete with your input and put it in the "Tutorials and Articles" section were everybody can read/use it.

There are 3 ways to put text/titles/comments on a slide:

1) Project Options | Comments | Set text comment for new slides : you can choose from the drop-down list (click on the paper icon to see the list) a picture name, a path, etc. Instead of using something from the drop-down list, you can type your own text, title, comment. Anyway, your text placed here will be put on all the slides of your show when you click on the button "Set for existing slides". When you choose "Empty" from the drop-down list, all the text will be deleted from your slides. To adapt the font you can make fine-tunings in "Customize comment font".

The text is shown on your slide when you open "Objects and Animation". It's also in the "Objectslist" as "Text comment". When you click on the text on the slide or on the object "Text comment" it's possible to adapt the font, color, size,... of the text.

When you want specific comment on selected slides only (different comments) see point 2.

2) Highlight a slide in the "SlideList" on the Mainscreen by clicking on it. Put your text/comment/title for your current slide in the space "Comment". This text will only be shown on that selected slide. You can click on the paper icon at right, a box will be opened and here you can type your text. It's also possible to load text from a file on your harddisk (see "Load" button and follow the path).

If you have put a text in "Project Options | Comments" valuable for all the slides in your show, this text will be overwritten by the text/comment/title you put here in the "Comment"-space.

The text is also shown on your slide when you open "Objects an Animation". It's also in the "Objectslist" as "Text comment". When you click on the text on the slide or on the object "Text comment" it's possible to adapt the font, color, size,... of the text.

3) Objects and Animation | on the right hand you have your "Objectslist" with one or more objects (slides, frames, rectangles,...) | click on the "Add text" button above left in your screen (the A). A "Text"-object appears in the "Objectslist" and you can adapt the layout of your text in "Properties".

You can use the text as part of an animation. The text you use here will not be shown in the "Comment"-space on the Main screen (see point 2). The text used here is part of the Objects and Animation and has nothing to do with point 1 and 2.

It is possible to have a combination of comments/text/title with point 3 and point 1 or point 2.

Greetings,

Cor

G'day Peter,

I too am trying to add individual comments to different images and tried your method.

If you click on a slide in the thumbnail and enter a comment in the comment box just under "show image" that comment appears as an object in O & A.

When I left click on the thumbnail (main screen) nothing happens, double left click gives the customise slide options nothing here as described.

When I right click I get a pick list but nothing here to add comments. Double right click gives the same list.

Are you using Beta5 v11? or an earlier version?

Can you elaborate please?

Maybe I can help.

Just left click once on the thumbnail, so that it comes up in the little preview window (top right). Then type your comment in the comment box, directly below ‘show image’ (also on the right, under the slide).

If you then click on O&A the comment is featured, or if you click on the small preview (top right), the slide , with comment, is shown full screen. Beta 11a.

[G'day Peter, Stevie

Thanks for your help.

This was my fault, maybe I'm going blind in my old age.

I use a slightly different layout in PTE of the main window and so top right wasn't the same for me. However I should have seen the comments field under the main slide preview window. I always used the comments tab and never this one so couldn't see it for looking. B)

Thanks again all. :)

Is there still a way to customize comments for multiple slides at once? E.g. I use a different placement of comments for vertically oriented photos than for landscape oriented photos. The way I would do this in the past is to go into the lightbox view, select all of the vertical photos, and then use the customize slide to set the position of the comments. I no longer see this available. Is there a way to do this?

thanks..

We removed customization of text comment for some slide because you can do it in Objects and Animation editor now. And you see result immediately on the screen.

Let me clarify the question I have above. Is there going to be a way to customize a set of slides (e.g. more than 1 at a time, but not all)? I have been depending on this functionality in 4.48 and previous and it's important to me. When I have a slideshow of 100 or more images, and need to customize 30-40 of them in the same way, it's quite a bit of work to consider doing this one by one.

Objects and Animation editor is not available when I select more than one slide. And the Customize Slide comment option is now removed. Is there going to be a way to do this with Objects and Animation or otherwise?

Thanks..

Hi Linda,

Here is one solution, a little more work than your old way but not too bad.

You can add your comment in the box below the slide and it will appear on the slide in O&A. Adjust the text in any way you want and position it. Use the Copy button on the tool bar. Skip through the slides using the arrows in the top right corner and hit paste on each slide where you wish th comment to appear.

Change the position of the comment,and any other features, and repeat the process for your differently oriented photos.

Kind Regards

Peter

Ron & others,

You can add "customized' comments to different slides and place them and size them by 1) just adding your text to Comments on the Main Screen, 2) select O & A where it is added as a Text Comment, 3) as a Text Comment you can click on the text and size & move it to where you want it, 4) you can can even make the Text Comment be a "daughter" to the main slide just as if you in O & A added the text, but A) recognize that if you change any of the text you have to resize it in O & A and B) you cannot have different font styles. So V5 B12 has a quasi customize text option...Harvey ;)

Here is one solution, a little more work than your old way but not too bad.

You can add your comment in the box below the slide and it will appear on the slide in O&A. Adjust the text in any way you want and position it. Use the Copy button on the tool bar. Skip through the slides using the arrows in the top right corner and hit paste on each slide where you wish th comment to appear.

Change the position of the comment,and any other features, and repeat the process for your differently oriented photos.

Kind Regards

Peter

Hi Peter,

Thanks for your suggestion, but it really doesn't help in this situation. Each slide has a different text in the comment (in fact the ability to use IPTC/EXIF comment really helps automate this, and I had requested that many months ago, so it's great to see it). It's only the position that I need to set for the group of vertical slides. If I use a paste, I assume this will overwrite my comment text to the be the same. And I still have to edit each one just to do the paste. For me, either way is a step back.