WnSoft Forums

The Great War

Hi All,

I have uploaded an AV of the First World War.

It contains scenes of conflict and death, but nothing of a graphic nature.

If you are offended by this, please do not download.

I was working with a limited number of photographs, mainly from British sources.

Some restoration was necessary in some of the photos, but I limited it as much as Possible.

Can’t say that this is a final version, as new material comes along it may be included.

Carnage was something not limited to one side or another in the war.

This then, is respectfully dedicated to all sides.

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=01ea5a0...04e75f6e8ebb871

Davy

Hi All,

I was working with a limited number of photographs, mainly from British sources.

Some restoration was necessary in some of the photos, but I limited it as much as Possible.

Can’t say that this is a final version, as new material comes along it may be included.

Davy

Hi davy,

What stunning photos, and in a week where 65 years since D Day is being remembered, differant war but very fitting. And also not to mention one of only 2 british survivors of the great war who turned 113 years of age this week as seen on british television.

Thanks Davy, these great men and woman should always be remembered and I as a "young 54 year old shall always pay my respects every year to the very brave souls who fought for king and country.

Thanks so much for sharing and reminding us how much we owe every single one who fought for freedom on our behalf.

Regards

ralph

Hi davy,

What stunning photos, and in a week where 65 years since D Day is being remembered, differant war but very fitting. And also not to mention one of only 2 british survivors of the great war who turned 113 years of age this week as seen on british television.

Thanks Davy, these great men and woman should always be remembered and I as a "young 54 year old shall always pay my respects every year to the very brave souls who fought for king and country.

Thanks so much for sharing and reminding us how much we owe every single one who fought for freedom on our behalf.

Regards

ralph

Hi Ralph,

I met with one of the 'Old Guard' a few years ago.

As a PR thing they gave him a glass of champagne and supplied 2 dolly birds on either side of him.

I can tell you that one of the dolly birds wasn't long jumping up.

The old fella hadn't forgot his 'Pincer Movements'.

Cheers,

Davy

Hi All,

Davy

Davy -

Stunning! Beautiful old photographs blended with sobering music makes for a great Memorial Day tribute. Very well done.

Dave

Davy -

Stunning! Beautiful old photographs blended with sobering music makes for a great Memorial Day tribute. Very well done.

Dave

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the comments.

Lots of detail in some of the photos.

I know that some music is overused now,but the Barber piece worked for me.

Regards,

Davy

Davy

Excellent AV, I think one of your best, quite moving. Right music, length just right, sequence of fine images correct. You were lucky having access to them, did you do much to improve them?

Also the final image of the poppys in colour a nice touch.

The last surviving Australian veteran from the "Great War" passed away here in my home town a few months ago. Very timely.

Hi Davy...I really enjoyed your show. Stunning photos. The young smiling men going off to war and facing such horrors. Those that

died long ago and those that got to return home and live out their lives are nearly all gone now. What a nice memorial to them.

Great show and a terrific ending.

All the best to you.

Jeff

Davy

Excellent AV, I think one of your best, quite moving. Right music, length just right, sequence of fine images correct. You were lucky having access to them, did you do much to improve them?

Also the final image of the poppys in colour a nice touch.

The last surviving Australian veteran from the "Great War" passed away here in my home town a few months ago. Very timely.

Ifa,

I probably could have spent some more time touching up the photos,but I didn't want to go overboard.

A few were covered in specks and marks,but generally not too bad.

I'm just pleased to think somebody would think I had a 'Best' AV.

The aussies were an unruly bunch.Not having the pomms stiff upper lip.

The millitary were wary of the consequences of these Australian troops and their negative influence on the compliant

British troops.Based on what he had seen, a British officer who toured the Australian sectors was so impressed with them.

He asked that any doubts over them,be removed.

Later in the conflict these Australian troops were ordered to be held back at times,as they were a bit too keen.

They had a fearful reputation for getting the job done.

Australia suffered the highest relative casualty rates of the allied forces.

Thanks for the comments,

Davy

Hi Davy...I really enjoyed your show. Stunning photos. The young smiling men going off to war and facing such horrors. Those that

died long ago and those that got to return home and live out their lives are nearly all gone now. What a nice memorial to them.

Great show and a terrific ending.

All the best to you.

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Glad you enjoyed it.

Sometimes it's hard to know if something you do,is good bad or indifferent.

Spent a bit of time on this one though to try and make it work.

Good to hear from you and others though with nice comments.

This was not an AV in the normal sense for me though,as I have worked at the Somme in France,

so this was something that I wanted to do.

All the best right back at you.

Davy

This is an AV show that really hits the mark with me. The use of a collection of good quality, clear photographs, to portray a significant world event, really brings the Great War into prospective, giving a sense of the past to the viewer. Smiling, happy and confident faces one minute, shattered body’s the next, the reality of war.

I think you have done a good job of the restoration; certainly I could not spot where, and besides, when you restore an image, you get to keep both the original and the restored copy too.

At the moment, I think the length of the show is about right; it leaves the viewer wanting more. From a personal view point, I would be tempted not to keep adding to this show, as there is a danger of making it too long, and switching viewers off and loosing its impact. If you have access to more images like this, then do another show, maybe with a theme.

Thank you for sharing it with us.

Davy, I agree with morturn.

You could be searching to find that one extra image that you think will improve things. But don't, just stop now and if in a years time you think it needs updating - then fine. But for now leave it as it is.

This is an AV show that really hits the mark with me. The use of a collection of good quality, clear photographs, to portray a significant world event, really brings the Great War into prospective, giving a sense of the past to the viewer. Smiling, happy and confident faces one minute, shattered body’s the next, the reality of war.

I think you have done a good job of the restoration; certainly I could not spot where, and besides, when you restore an image, you get to keep both the original and the restored copy too.

At the moment, I think the length of the show is about right; it leaves the viewer wanting more. From a personal view point, I would be tempted not to keep adding to this show, as there is a danger of making it too long, and switching viewers off and loosing its impact. If you have access to more images like this, then do another show, maybe with a theme.

Thank you for sharing it with us.

Hi Mortum & Mark,

Thanks for the positive and useful comments.

Good to hear from you guys.

The duration works for me as well,and if I did find a photo or two to add to it, I would be removing

the same ammount of photos from the AV at the same time.

I'm aware of overworking something,so if it works for most people,I'm happy to leave it as it is.

Regards,

Davy

Hi All,

Davy

Well done, Davy, I found it very moving. As a mother of sons, I wasn't sure whether I really wanted to watch this, but I am glad I did. You have obviously put a great deal into this. However, I wonder - will we ever really learn?

Maureen

Well done, Davy, I found it very moving. As a mother of sons, I wasn't sure whether I really wanted to watch this, but I am glad I did. You have obviously put a great deal into this. However, I wonder - will we ever really learn?

Maureen

Hi Maureen,

This AV did take an age to do,but I'm happy with it now.

It's good to hear feedback and especially from a female perspective.

I had a look at a list of wars from the earlist times to the present day and they occur with regularity.

A bit of a lull for a year or so,but we soon make up for lost time.

There has been a slight downturn in the west,but this is made up for in the technological advances in weaponry.

I expect we will never learn.

Regards,

Davy