WnSoft Forums

Club AV Competition Anonymity.

Guest Yachtsman1

Ralph

Not sure whay I used that Cricket thing, I am definately not a fan. Cricket bores me to death so all the scores and who beat who goes right over my head. :rolleyes:

Last month I tried to get my new club invoved into AV. I created a disk for them, with the trial version of PTE and spent some time demonstrating the process. The brief was to produce a simple show using the 10 images usable in the trial software. My thoughts were that as soon as they got into PTE it would gather pace.

We got about 10 sequences, but all the usual traps were fallen into. One brought the project file instead of the exe, another managed to create an avi that wouldn't run on the night for some reason, but I took them all home and in the end all the sequences are now watchable and we will come up with a prize for the next meeting when we announce the winners

I think I should be called Father Barry, touring the world preaching about PTE :P

I think I should be called Father Barry, touring the world preaching about PTE :P

Hey Barry,

How do you feel about a quickie trip to New Zealand - only a couple of hours away for you now! - to preach to a few clubs here? I have been doing a low-key approach to getting people in my club (Palmerston North, Manawatu) interested in PTE, without much success. Some will do a show in powerpoint, some in Windows moviemaker, and I know some have Proshow, but few results are actually shown. I keep plugging PTE, presenting shows from this forum and from Beechbrook which are generally well received, but I can't seem to motivate them to have a go.

But, I will borrow your idea of putting a copy of PTE Demo on a CD and encouraging them to set up a simple 10-slide effort. I think that is a brilliant idea. I'll even burn 20 or so CDs for them to take away.

Ok, I'm joking about you coming over - but only partly! It could come to fruition if the cards fall right. Our club has forty-ish members, Wanganui club is only about 80 kms away - and was the home club of the late Jack Sprosen, an AV afficionado, after whom a national AV competition is named - The Jack Sprosen Memorial Trophy for best AV. Waikanae is an hour down the road, Levin is closer at about 40 minutes away, and there are plenty of others at greater distances.

Blimey, what have I done?

Regards,

Colin

Colin

New Zealand is on our places to visit, probably 2010 now as we have plenty to do for the rest of this year. I would be delighted to do a few demos while over there and we will keep you in mind.

I have an all day PTE demo at Redlands CC in Brisbane next week, that should be fun

B

Hi,

I've been dipping into this topic off and on for a few days and find it quite fascinating. I am relatively new to this game. Like many people I have always owned a camera but I've only recently been finding out what all the buttons are for. I tried with a film SLR about 25 years ago but by the time I got the film back from processing I had forgotten what it was I was trying to do! Digital certainly has made the learning process much simpler so I have great respect for those who have come up through the film route.

AV is my driving force. I got into this by accident. In my final years of work I found it beneficial to personalise Power Point presentations to potential clients by including photographs of their business. This then led to me using a service then being promoted by Kodak to provide CD's of film images with something called JPEGS! which I then put into PP and bored family and friends to death. The rest is obvious.

However the point of this post is to say that I too have been trying to promote AV within my CC (yes I'm now an active member) to the extent that two years ago I donated a modest trophy for an AV competition which has been reasonably successful (Club membership of about 35 and about 8 “interested” AV'rs). I was quite reluctant to do this as I am not comfortable about competitions (and in particular most judges) but recognise that they (competitions not necessarily the judges) are a necessary evil!

The rules that the committee have agreed to are very simple and have changed and no doubt will continue to change as things evolve. This year for instance we dropped the EXE condition as a couple of members use Apple Mac. We also abolished the time limit which had previously been 8 minutes.

We let the club members judge the entries. Authors are excluded from judging any entry. Anonymity is impossible.

A form is distributed to all present on the night and members are asked to award up to 5 points for each of 4 categories.

This requires a bit of explanation but is built on views expressed during previous AV nights during the year.

AUDIO – Is soundtrack appropriate, clear or distorted.

VISUALS (Photography) – Composition, Lighting, Photographic effects, Viewpoint, Exposure, Focus, Colour Balance etc.

STRUCTURE (content) – Beginning, Middle, End, Emotion, Originality etc.

PRODUCTION (Presentation) – Length (Too Long / Too Short. Effects (Pan/Zoom etc.) Overdone?

Titles, etc.

The whole idea is to make it as easy as possible for people to become involved and it appears to be working – but I do have to do a degree of cajoling throughout the year!

I like the idea of using the PTE trial software and will be giving this some thought for next year.

Regards

John