WnSoft Forums

Show returns to first slide...

goddi

Greetings,

I am in the process of creating a PTE show in 5.6.3. In fact, I made 2 shows, mostly identical, but one in Spanish and one in English. They are similar in images and text, except the English show has a couple different initial slides.

However, in Preview, (not every time, but many times) both sideshows return to the first slide of each show, even though I have "...keep last slide in show on screen" ticked in both shows. So each show returns to its own first slide, even though both are different first slides.

This has happened when I do a Preview and when I play the Exe file.

What could be causing this??? I am not touching the keyboard or the mouse. The shows do have the Navigation Bar active.

Thanks... Gary

Added later... I installed 5.6.4, but it still happens.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just a guess, have you got the repeat music box ticked in project options?? :blink:

Yachtsman1

============

I looked and I don't have it checked. The music does not start...only the first slide appears. Sometimes it appears in a couple seconds, other times, about 10 seconds.

Gary

Gary,

However, in Preview, (not every time, but many times) both sideshows return to the first slide of each show, even though I have "...keep last slide in show on screen" ticked in both shows.

What Show Setting are you using in Project Options ?

Also what is the Slide Option -Timer setting default timer indicated or used on your final slide ?

* Note:

Any Slide Options settings made will override the Project Options settings.

Gary,

What Show Setting are you using in Project Options ?

Also what is the Slide Option -Timer setting default timer indicated or used on your final slide ?

* Note:

Any Slide Options settings made will override the Project Options settings

=============

Nobeefstu...

I am using "When show ends keep last slide in show on screen" and "Sync music and slides."

"Time Interval for new slides" is 4 seconds but that does not come into play since I have "Sync music...", right?

The last slide does not have any customized settings.

By the way, I am using your 'Startup Window' file (Begin v560.zip) that you posted in the Forum back in Feb. I just came across it this week. I embedded the two slides directly into the show itself (not as a 'Run application on exit' as you originally had it), and seems to be working really nice. Thanks.

Gary

=============

"Time Interval for new slides" is 4 seconds but that does not come into play since I have "Sync music...", right?

All "Sync slide" does is to ensure that, when you begin a preview from a mid-sequence slide, the soundtrack is correctly positioned.

regards,

Peter

Hi Gary,

Go to the timeline, click on "Timed Points" then "Arrange all Points" and that will spread the slides evenly so that the music and last slide end together (if that's what you want).

Best regards,

Lin

=============

Nobeefstu...

I am using "When show ends keep last slide in show on screen" and "Sync music and slides."

snip

Hi Gary,

Go to the timeline, click on "Timed Points" then "Arrange all Points" and that will spread the slides evenly so that the music and last slide end together (if that's what you want).

Best regards,

Lin

=================

Lin... No, I don't want to do that with this show. I normally do spread the slides evenly across the music but now I am going outside my normal envelope... :D and using the timeline to give more time to some slides, less to others.

Is there anywhere else to look at??? Problem is sometimes it ends with the last slide as expected, other times it goes to the first slide at the end of the show.

I have attached a screen shot of the Timeline's last slide at the end of the slideshow, if that helps.

Gary

Timeline.doc

Hi Gary,

First, be sure you don't have "repeat music after playing" checked in the Music tab of Project Options..

Next, save your work, open the PTE file again and remove the music and save under a different name and create an exe file. See if it "still" returns the first slide rather than keeping the last slide on screen.

Then let me know what the result was.

Best regards,

Lin

Hi Gary,

First, be sure you don't have "repeat music after playing" checked in the Music tab of Project Options..

Next, save your work, open the PTE file again and remove the music and save under a different name and create an exe file. See if it "still" returns the first slide rather than keeping the last slide on screen.

Then let me know what the result was.

Best regards,

Lin

====================

Lin,

You might be on to something! I took out the music and tried many times but could not create the problem. Then, I put the music back, and the problem occurred.

I have 2 music files. One, an ogg file, at the beginning, is just a few seconds long. The other music file, about 3:50 minutes, an mp3, has about a 6 second tail of silence at the end of the file, if that helps figure this out.

Can you see what is going on here?

Thanks... Gary

Added later: I removed about 6 seconds from the end of the longer music file. It seems to have fixed the problem. Now I see the "Music End" red vertical line and then after that, then about a half second later, in the timeline, a green vertical line shows at the end. Before, there was not red "Music End" vertical line. Can you explain what this means???

Thanks... Gary

Gary

It appears that the problem is associated with the sound files.

Open them in you Audio editor and join them to make one file, edit the length to 3m 52sec, (from your screen-shot posted this point is the end of the last slide in the AV), and save the file as a .wav file and try it in your AV.

EDIT 10:12:

I was typing at the same time as you Gary and see you have now found the answer. It appears that the sound file end being past the last image end was the problem. This is something I have had many times in a show with no problems but it may be a combination of this and other settings you have for the AV, Lin may have the answer.

Edit 10:30

Just checked an AV I finished this morning and as you can see I have a similar relationship between the last image and the audio, it works fine.

post-3194-1247444851_thumb.jpg

Gary

EDIT 10:12:

I was typing at the same time as you Gary and see you have now found the answer. It appears that the sound file end being past the last image end was the problem. This is something I have had many times in a show with no problems but it may be a combination of this and other settings you have for the AV, Lin may have the answer.

=================

So now I see how to 'fix' the problem. One way is to delete the last 6 seconds of the sound file. But I don't understand why, if the music file extends past the 'End of the last slide' line, the slideshow would then end with the beginning slide.

I usually plop in the music and have the slide evenly spaced out over the music. So this show, where I don't 'Auto spread the slides', is a bit new of a techinque for me. I like it but I see it can have its pitfalls if you are not careful.

I wonder if another solution is the always drag the dark green 'End of the last slide line to the far right, which then changes to a lighter green. Is this what most people do to avoid this problem???

Gary

Added later: Well, now I am more confused. I went into the file that I had deleted the last 6 seconds of the music file, and dragged the 'End of the last slide' line to the far right to get the bright green line at the end of the timeline. The problem returned.... :huh:

Added later: Ok, I did a test. I moved the bright green line (that was at the very end of the timeline) to the left by 3 notches. It changed back to the thin dark green line. The problem seems not to be happening. So is the bright green line a 'bad' thing? Still not sure why or what is going on...

Gary

I have been playing around with positioning the "end of slide" and the "music end" (should be called "audio end"), and cannot recreate your problem with any combination of positions I try. I suspect the audio file/s you are using are to blame for your problem.

Gary

I have been playing around with positioning the "end of slide" and the "music end" (should be called "audio end"), and cannot recreate your problem with any combination of positions I try. I suspect the audio file/s you are using are to blame for your problem.

===========

I did some more testing. The last test where I thought moving the 'End of the last slide' line 3 notches to the left would help...it did not. What is so funny is that the problem does not show up immediately. I thought it was working properly after moving the 'End of the last slide' to the left. I walked out of the room for a short while, came back, and the first slide was on the screen. I tested it again and sat for a while to see what would happen and about a minute or so after the proper ending of the show, it popped up with the first slide again. I just can't see how the music file would do this. Very confused.

Gary

Added later: I tried another test. I combined the 2 music files into one, using Audacity. That did not help either. Same problem.

Hi Gary,

If you open a version of your show that you know creates the problem and then go into the Timeline view, click on Timed Points and then select "Set End of Last Slide at End of Music", what then happens?

More tests you could try, purely out of curiosity, would be to change the 1st (OGG) file to MP3 and try two MP3s - and similaly change the second (the MP3 to OGG) and try two OGG files (is the mixture of sound file types a contributing factor?)

regards,

Peter

Hi Gary,

If you open a version of your show that you know creates the problem and then go into the Timeline view, click on Timed Points and then select "Set End of Last Slide at End of Music", what then happens?

More tests you could try, purely out of curiosity, would be to change the 1st (OGG) file to MP3 and try two MP3s - and similaly change the second (the MP3 to OGG) and try two OGG files (is the mixture of sound file types a contributing factor?)

regards,

Peter

=================

Peter,

I did some more testing. I am using the Spanish version that does not have the OGG file, so that it can be eliminated as the cause. This version as only one music file:

I selected the "Set End of Last Slide at End of Music". Result was that the problem reoccured.

I then replaced the music file with a different mp3 and edited it down to match the original length of 3:46 minutes.

I tested it before and after selecting "Set End of Last Slide..." and in both instances, the problem occurred.

What is also strange about this problem is that sometimes, the first slide appears within a couple seconds; other times it has occurred after about 2:30 minutes and another time it was about 3:30 minutes. Sometimes, it does not seem to happen at all. It is consistently inconsistent. :blink:

I am running out of ideas to test....

Gary

Added later: Had another idea--repeat Lin's suggestion. I removed the music file. With no music, the last slide appeared in about 1 minute after the show ended.... So can we eliminate music as being the problem???

...It is consistently inconsistent.

I am running out of ideas to test...

You and me both! But I have to say that, as a concept, I really do like this idea of inconsistent consistency!!!!!!

Sorry I cannot offer you any further ideas at present, Gary. If anything else comes to my mind and you still have no resolution to the problem, I'll be back.

regards,

Peter

You and me both! But I have to say that, as a concept, I really do like this idea of inconsistent consistency!!!!!!

Sorry I cannot offer you any further ideas at present, Gary. If anything else comes to my mind and you still have no resolution to the problem, I'll be back.

regards,

Peter

================

Well, I thought of another test:

I just selected the "Auto spread slides along music" and ran the Preview. It, too, after about a minute or two, after the slideshow ended, showed the first slide.... This really is driving me crazy. :blink: :blink:

Do you think if you looked at the PTE in Notepad, that it might reveal something? I looked but I am not sure what to look for.

Gary

Added later: I just ran a slideshow that I made several months ago. Immediately after the end of the slideshow, the first slide popped up!!! What the heck is going on????????? Maybe I should re-install PTE?????

Gary,

This is beginning to "feel" like a bug in v5.6 with "Keep last slide on screen" processing. I suggest you e-mail Igor and bring this whole thread to his attention.

If you still have v5.5 installed you could check out what happens with that release level of PTE.

regards,

Peter

Gary,

This is beginning to "feel" like a bug in v5.6 with "Keep last slide on screen" processing. I suggest you e-mail Igor and bring this whole thread to his attention.

If you still have v5.5 installed you could check out what happens with that release level of PTE.

regards,

Peter

=================

Peter, I just sent the email to Igor. I hope he will check into this. I don't have 5.5 anymore.

Thanks... Gary

Guest Yachtsman1

Just another couple of thought, have you created an EXE file of your faulty show to see what happens.? Have you tried clearing all timed points including customised slides and starting from scratch.? Check your customised slides if any.

I use 5.6 amd have never experienced this :o:o

Yachtsman1

Just another couple of thought, have you created an EXE file of your faulty show to see what happens.? Have you tried clearing all timed points including customised slides and starting from scratch.? Check your customised slides if any.

I use 5.6 amd have never experienced this :o:o

Yachtsman1

==============

Greetings,

Yes, and the EXE showed the problem. At the end of the slideshow, it showed the beginning slide.

Since the problem showed up even with another slideshow I made a few months ago when I ran it in Preview, I don't think starting over would help. I don't have any customized slides. It is just too strange. I never noticed it before. Maybe because when the show is finished, I normally would just close it down. At first, the beginning slide started to show up within seconds of the supposed end of the show. But I also now see that if I don't close the slideshow down, the beginning slide will pop up from 1 minute or 2.5 minutes and up to 3.5 minutes after the show ends, if I don't touch anything.

Gary

Gary,

Would you please just post/attach a copy of the .pte file that is creating this issue ... so we can have a more detailed look at the file settings. Lets save some energy :P

Do not include images or music resources.

Also ... what exact version of PTE are you now building with this project file ?

Gary

I have been trying to reproduce your problem and after several hours of trying many different combinations I can not! :huh:

Will have a look at the file for you when you post it.

Until then I'm wondering if this is a problem with something else you have running on your PC at the same time, anti-virus etc.

Try turning anything you may have running in the background off

WARNING disconnect the Internet connection before you turn off the anti-virus and turn the anti-virus program back on before you reconnect the Internet.