WnSoft Forums

[FORUM] NEW FORUM + IPS BOARD

Conflow

Hi Igor,

The last thing you want to know about are 'problems' with the New-Forum's and PC Operational difficulties...

New Forum Navigation Problems

1)

In the past, users could use the Return/Forward Arrows in the Browser-Page (<--or-->) to go back and forward.

This no longer works with XP nor 2000 or '98se. Users now have to go to the end of a page ~ there is no 'Back-Button' ?

2)

If one uses the 'Browser-Arrows' the Forum drops 'Off-Line' and asks for a Refresh ~ which does not work ? (Attachment).

3)

If you are working within a 'New Forum Category' its virtually impossible to get back to the Main Page Directory ?

PC Operational Problems

1)

If one is using a Win'98 or a 2000.Pro this New-Forum takes for ever to open up the Main Page Directory using IE-6.

2)

When trying to Edit-Post with 2000.Pro and IE-6 (irrespective of Search-Page) it takes up to 10.secs for each Edit ?

3)

Using 2000 ~ If you try to change the Font Size/Type it does not work in the 'Script-Window' nor in the 'Preview-Window' ?

consequently when you Post to Forum it's all over the place and it is impossible to Edit due to 1-2-3 above.

My review of good Software takes into consideration:- Backward-Compatibility and Stability and Ease of Use.

The new 'IPS Board-Product 3.02' does not meet these criteria because it has operational & compatibility issues

on older NT-System PCs ~ this should not be so as XP itself is an NT-System based on the Win 2000.Pro Model.

It's not a Browser issue as IE-6 is used worldwide with 1000's of other Forums with no problems what so ever, except

recently ~ Microsoft is "Gatecrashing" other Browsers trying to distribute its IE-8 Product ~ thats another story !!!

Hope this report can be of use to you...

regards,

Brian (Conflow)

post-1416-125193245448_thumb.gif

Guest Yachtsman1

It may be a coincidence, but I have just been on the DP forum & they have changed to an identical system. The word wrapping problem is still present on there as reported in the "New Forum" topic on here. :(

Yachtsman1

Brian

glad you noticed as well -- i think that the new layout has a lot of adobe flash/java embedded in it and i have updated the adobe component but it is still slow reactiing and takes forever if on copies / pastes a sentence to something else -- this with my ie 6 -- tried it with my firefox latest version 3.5.2 and no hesitation so must be my ie6 browser

ken

Brian

glad you noticed as well -- i think that the new layout has a lot of adobe flash/java embedded in it and i have updated the adobe component but it is still slow reactiing and takes forever if on copies / pastes a sentence to something else -- this with my ie 6 -- tried it with my firefox latest version 3.5.2 and no hesitation so must be my ie6 browser

ken

Hi Ken & Yachtsman,

We found:- Its not happening with our XPs + Google or MSN Search Pages with IE-6 thats seems O.K

But with 2000 or 2000.Pro or '98se we get the same problem as you had experienced with IE-6.

Now try and select different Fonts for your EMails and it behaves like a Win'95 and double spaces lines

and it goes 'Ga-ga'. Yachtsman you are right about the 'Auto-Word-Wrap' it doesn't work ?

It's different behaviour's with Win 2000 and Win Xp is very worrying as both are NT-Systems and 2000.Pro

is the only truly 'cross-platform' PC capable of talking to 95 + 98se + XP.

I hope its not coming to a situation of no choice ~ 'Vista' or nothing ??

My concern is this behaviour is going to do damage to our Forum in respect of 'New-Members' who will simply

give up on this 'messing-around' trying to make a simple Post.

Brian.

Hi,

I hope this post will work! I have tried to use "add fast reply" but it failed! This is in addition to other similar experiences in recent days.

I can offer no technical input to this topic. However I would like to add my concern that the problems being experienced at the moment WILL have an adverse effect on new users. I personally when singing the praises of PTE put particular emphasis on the value of The Forum.

Hopefully this can be sorted quickly.

Regards and thanks to you technical folks for taking up this issue.

John

THIS IS MY THIRD ATTEMPT TO POST THIS (Resorted to using Copy/Paste)!!!

John,

I've never had any problem, so I would be inclined to suspect a problem on your PC. What browser software do you use? I'm now using Mozilla Firefox v3.5.2. I switched to Firefox last year when, following a set of patches to Internet Explorer and Vista, my access to a whole host of websites went absolutely haywire. I was clicking on links and nothing was happening. I was unable to use browser plug-ins that had worked fine the previous day. Eventually, after two or three friends confirmed that their IE was behaving oddly too but that Firefox was OK, I switched to Firefox. I now realise I should have done it sooner. Firefox is much quicker than IE and has, since late-summer last year, never left me feeling that it was playing up in any way.

regards,

Peter

Guest Yachtsman1

Surely though Firefox is a minority browser compared to the biggies like IE etc etc. If newbies aren't using Firefox they will get a poor impression, things need to be universally acceptable. Other faults still existing, dead slow compared to previous version, lots more buttons or boxes to tick to access what was clearly seen before. Sample of word wrap problem pictured??:blink:

Yachtsman1

post-5560-12519808148_thumb.jpg

John,

I've never had any problem, so I would be inclined to suspect a problem on your PC. What browser software do you use? I'm now using Mozilla Firefox v3.5.2. I switched to Firefox last year when, following a set of patches to Internet Explorer and Vista, my access to a whole host of websites went absolutely haywire. I was clicking on links and nothing was happening. I was unable to use browser plug-ins that had worked fine the previous day. Eventually, after two or three friends confirmed that their IE was behaving oddly too but that Firefox was OK, I switched to Firefox. I now realise I should have done it sooner. Firefox is much quicker than IE and has, since late-summer last year, never left me feeling that it was playing up in any way.

regards,

Peter

I would appreciate a screen shot showing where fast reply is - i have yet to find it with or without my glassescool.gif

from the help

Fast Reply

Where it has been enabled, there will be a fast reply button on each topic. Clicking this will open up a posting box on the topic view screen, cutting down on the time required to load the main posting screen. Click the fast reply button to expand the reply box and type the post inside of there. Although the fast reply box is not expanded by default, you can choose the option to have it expanded by default, from the board settings section of your control panel. Pressing the 'More Options' button will take you to the normal posting screen.

I cannot locate

Pressing the 'More Options'

ken

Hi Eric,

Actually, though IE is by a considerable margin the most popular browser, there are no other "biggies like IE etc., etc." IE is the only "biggie."

Firefox is the world's second most popular browser with about a 22.47% market share compared to the 67.68% of IE. The remaining share is divided among variously Safari, Google, Opera and others. So by definition, Firefox is not a minority browser and is only dwarfed by IE because IE is shipped with all Windows operating systems. If statistics were done on swaps, I suspect the gain by Firefox on IE would be absolutely amazing.

Source:

http://en.wikipedia....of_web_browsers

Best regards,

Lin

Surely though Firefox is a minority browser compared to the biggies like IE etc etc. If newbies aren't using Firefox they will get a poor impression, things need to be universally acceptable. Other faults still existing, dead slow compared to previous version, lots more buttons or boxes to tick to access what was clearly seen before. Sample of word wrap problem pictured??:blink:

Yachtsman1

I have IE 6 on both as well - I'll try it now:

Lin

O.K., editing on IE 6 now and testing word wrap below:

Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their country. Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their country. Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their country. Now is the time.....

Word wrap working normally at 1024x768 with I.E. 6 and XP Home Edition.

So that rules out the resolution theory but presumably, you are using Firefox on both?

DaveG

Hi Ken,

Download these two screen shots of this entire thread. One made with IE 6 and the other with Mozilla 3.5.2.

Notice at the bottom that the word (Fast Reply) and the black bar it resides in are missing from the IE 6 version. I suspect that's what's happening with yours.

http://www.lin-evans.net/temp/ie6.jpg

http://www.lin-evans.net/temp/firefox3.5.2.jpg

Open these in Irfanview and expand to full size and scroll to the bottom where I've marked with red arrows, etc.

Lin

John,

regards,

Peter

Peter,

I have recently been using Chrome as I had some problems recently which I thought were Firefox related.

I have spent the past hour talking to Sky as I now suspect these past problems are related to the router rather than any browser as they re-appeared yesterday and again today with Chrome. I have reverted back to Firefox a few minutes ago and will monitor the situation over the next few days.

Perhaps the Forum issues are related though I doubt it. I received an error message from the forum a few minutes ago while trying to move back to the first page from Lin's last message in order to get to your message, so I think there is a bit of settling down on this new message board still to be dopne.

Cheers

John

ps hopt this works - Oh Ye of Little Faith

Hi David,

Yep, there's a bug - I just tried to save without making any changes and got a similar error message.

Lin

Anyone tried to alter their signature lately?

I am getting a message saying:

[#10211] You may only use up to lines of text in your signature.

I am trying to put in just one line of text.