WnSoft Forums

Do you turn OFF Hardware acceleration

Igor

41 members have voted

1. 1. Do you turn off Hardware acceleration for your slideshows?

• I always use Hardware acceleration
    • I sometimes turn OFF Hardware acceleration
  2. 2. Do you agree if we remove this option and slideshows will always use Hardware acceleration?

• I agree (remove this option)
    • I DON"T agree! (Keep this option)

Yes... I apparently missed both page 2 and page 3... Still getting used to the new layout of the Forum. No complaints, just missed it. But I still needed an explanation of what "software mode" meant. But Cor answered the question. Thanks...Gary

=============================

Dom

Igor has already made the decision to leave it functional -- he made the decision after Ian made his posting -- guess you missed that entry as well

ken

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Greetings,

I would like to understand better what the mouseover states about Hardware Acceleration when it says "In case of old video card, slide show will use software mode automatically." What does "software mode" mean? Does the "software mode" vary from PC to PC?

Thanks... Gary

=====================

Hello again Gary,

This is the definition and description of the differences about software mode and hardware mode, see the manual of PTE:

Hardware Acceleration is the use of hardware to perform some function faster than it is possible

in software running on the normal. Normally, processors are sequential, and instructions are

executed one by one. Various techniques are used to improve performance; hardware acceleration

is one of them. The main difference between hardware and software is concurrency, allowing

hardware to be much faster than software. Hardware accelerators are designed for computationally

intensive software code. Depending upon granularity, hardware acceleration can vary from a small

functional unit to a large functional block like motion estimation in MPEG2.

Greetings,

Cor

Thanks, Cor. I see now it means the "software mode" of the particular PC that the PTE is playing on (as opposed to the PTE software).

I appreciate the info. Gary

===================

Hello Gary,

Yes, it's a lot about the graphics card....

Greetings,

Cor

Thank you Ken, I downloaded this utility but I still don't understand what is the issue.

Still no problem with Hardware Acceleration turn ON with this project for me.

What do you mean by "required hardware accelleration to be turned off on certain computers to get it to work" ?

What are the specifications of those computers ?

And how does my menu run on your computer ?

Hi Dom

your menu works fine on my pc. I seem to remember, although I can't remember too much about it now, that I had a problem with multipage menus operating correctly with hardware acceleration turned on.

Kind regards

Paul

Thanks Xaver for your answer.

If I use "Run application ..." (instead of "Run slideshow with return..."), I have a quick flash of the windows bar at the bottom when I launch "Slideshow1.exe" from the main menu.

And the main menu doesn't start from the beginning when "Slideshow1.exe" is ended (or if I press ESC during "Slideshow1.exe").

But if turn OFF hardware Acceleration, I have EXACTLY the same problems as above.

I am sorry but I still don't understand the issue with Hardware Acceleration ON. :unsure:

Ian (or somebody else), can you tell me more about the "system resource issues" you encounter with this option ON ?

Hi,

In the published example "TheDom-PTEMenu" the "Run slideshow ..." option has been used (easy to see as the Windows Task Manager only shows a single PTE task, when Slideshow1 is running). In this case all shows are run by a common instance of the player, and no bad effects can occur. The disadvantage of this method is that it is useless for the common presentation of shows from different sources, which typically are not all PTE shows of the same version.

Regards,

Xaver

You're right Xaver, thank you for pointing this out.

=> New version uploaded, multipages menu and "Run application..." used (instead of "Run slideshow...").

The modified version nicely runs on my system (Win XP SP3, 2 years old) with a short flash of the task bar. I can avoid this flash (at least on my machine) by deactivating "Keep taskbar on top of other windows".

Regards,

Xaver