WnSoft Forums

Rubik's Cube

fh1805

The advent of 3D animation in PTE v6 has opened up many new possibilities. Elsewhere on the forum a, perhaps light-hearted, challenge was laid down to produce a Rubik's Cube animation. Being unable to resist such a challenge, I set about trying to produce a satisfactory animation of a Rubik's Cube. Here's the result: Cube.zip (7.7MB download, expanding to 9.0MB executable, run time 2m 23s)

Please note that this is the same link that I attached to a post in that original topic.

I would welcome all and any feedback.

regards,

Peter

Hi Peter,

Very nice job and I'm certain a great learning experience for you! You and Dominic have much more energy than I to tackle such a project, but the "proof's in the pudding" as they say.

Indeed PTE's new 3D transform has opened many doors for animation possibilities and will probably be even more useful as a tool as time goes on.

I've been pondering JPD's use of the octahedron (or possibly an isocahedron) and trying to derive a basic formula for constructing it. Unlike the cube which is constructed on squares where jpg's can be used, the triangular shapes require png transparencies and I'm still contemplating the necessary angles and groupings necessary to put it into some sort of understandable tutorial.

In my cube tutorial, I chose Dominic's basic pairs (frame pairs) approach since it is easier to explain verbally than my initial tiered, multi-child method used for the first demo. The easiest part of any tutorial is to explain "how" to construct some of these shapes. The more difficult part is to explain "why" certain elements need to be manipulated as they are. I can see that the future is going to be fun indeed - LOL...

Best regards,

Lin

The advent of 3D animation in PTE v6 has opened up many new possibilities. Elsewhere on the forum a, perhaps light-hearted, challenge was laid down to produce a Rubik's Cube animation. Being unable to resist such a challenge, I set about trying to produce a satisfactory animation of a Rubik's Cube. Here's the result: Cube.zip (7.7MB download, expanding to 9.0MB executable, run time 2m 23s)

Please note that this is the same link that I attached to a post in that original topic.

I would welcome all and any feedback.

regards,

Peter

I've recently downloaded V6.0 and thanks to Lin's tutorials, I'm slowly gaining some ground with 3D. Then Peter, you come along with your Rubik's Cube and show me just how much more I have to learn. Your cube is by far the most impressive I've seem. Just really great!

Dave

Dave,

Thanks, but I do hope you don't feel disheartened. Remember, when I started out on this challenge I had only very limited knowledge of 3D animation (but a fairly thorough understanding of how to control 2D animation in PTE). I was learning 3D as I went along. And to begin with I couldn't get my mind in tune with the principles behind the PTE way of doing it.

Personally I find that tackling an ambitious project, such as this Rubik's Cube one, gives me the motivation to really learn how to use the animation features.

The knowledge I have gained doing this project will, I hope, enable me to help other forum members as they grapple with 3D animation.

regards,

Peter

Very nice job and I'm certain a great learning experience for you! You and Dominic have much more energy than I to tackle such a project, but the "proof's in the pudding" as they say...

Lin,

Thanks for the feedback. Yes, I did it, in part, because I knew I would learn a lot about PTE's 3D Animation features. But I don't necessarily agree with your comment about the relationship between energy and project. I animated one small toy, you animate the solar system!!!!

regards,

Peter

Peter, What am I doing wrong? Every time I click on your cube link, Mediafire comes up great. When I click on download, ads come up and the file will not download. Thanks

Howard

Howard,

I'm afraid I cannot really advise you what you might be doing wrong as I never connect to MediaFire as a Guest. Whenever I connect I am automatically logged into my account. So, unfortunately, I never get the "guest" experience. All I can say is that the stats on MediaFire indicate that it has been successfully downloaded 72 times so far. Perhaps you just need to try again?

Sorry I cannot be of more help.

regards,

Peter

Wonderful Peter. Thanks for taking the time and posting for us to see.

Now I might understand the cube and be able to solve one!! wink.gif

After an extensive re-build and significant fine-tuning and "polishing", here's the final form of my Rubik's Cube sequence (8.0MB, 2m 23s duration, 1920x1080 resolution).

Yes, this is my first HD-ready sequence. The best I can watch it at is 1280x1024 so I'd welcome feedback on how it looks on those monster monitors that I know are out there.

regards,

Peter

After an extensive re-build and significant fine-tuning and "polishing", here's the final form of my Rubik's Cube sequence (8.0MB, 2m 23s duration, 1920x1080 resolution).

Yes, this is my first HD-ready sequence. The best I can watch it at is 1280x1024 so I'd welcome feedback on how it looks on those monster monitors that I know are out there.

regards,

Peter

Absolutely outstanding - a superb piece of work, Peter. Well done.