WnSoft Forums

Norway Coastal Voyage

Almark

Mark,

So sorry to hear about your stolen laptop, but I'm glad you've got some backups.

I very much enjoyed watching this show. You've got some lovely images, nicely blended together and the music was well selected. Your narration was tastefully done (and just the right amount). Thank you for sharing this show with us!

This is a re work. Sadly my laptop was stolen and it contained all my images, sound files etc. However; I have been able to recover some of the sound files and had my raws backed up. So this is a HD version at 1920x1080. 42MB

Norway Coastal Voyage HD

Mark - really enjoyed this version as very familiar with the voyage. Have put aside to keep. Thanks.

Maureen

Ken, thank you.

In the original version here I had spent many hours getting the sound sorted, as it was my first attempt with narration. Also, the blends in 4:3, getting the bright spots to coalesce, were perfect, but in HD they are slightly out. Despite this, it clearly shows as one judge explained: "it does exactly what it says on the tin" - a Norway Coastal Voyage."

Mary,

I never thought or expected that my laptop would be stolen. While I was on holiday, my grown up children had a party and it just 'disappeared' ;-) I had hidden the laptop and the power leads in different places. It had a bios password, hard disk password and windows Xp Pro password. So they didn't get any of my stuff, they would have had to remove the HD, format it and install a new OS.

While I have many back ups, the pte file was on the laptop. Lesson learned!

The sound on this AV is poor, there are a number of parts that a hiss can be heard. I had cleaned it, but again the final good version was on the laptop.

Thank you for your feedback.

Lennart,

I did this Voyage in December. As soon as we crossed the Arctic circle we were on the top of the world! I would like to do it again in Summer. But be aware that this is not a cruise. You do not arrive at a port and have much time to go out and explore. In some cases you only have 30 mins! Indeed sometimes the stop is only for a few minutes and passengers cannot get off.

This is a re work. Sadly my laptop was stolen and it contained all my images, sound files etc. However; I have been able to recover some of the sound files and had my raws backed up. So this is a HD version at 1920x1080. 42MB

Norway Coastal Voyage HD

Hi Mark,

Ran this version of the Norway AV.The HD treatment works well.

As you said,the sound quality (noise gating/hiss) is letting it down.

The AV is worthy of a new sound track.

If you have to revert to audio cleaners,something is amiss with the recording setup.

Look forward to the remix.

Davy

Davy, good to hear from you. It looks like I will have to re do the narration. The HD format suits the landscapes, and although the blends are not as good as the original version no one at the CC noticed - although Jack wasn't there ;-)

John B lent me a great Sony DAT device but it doesn't connect to a PC. He has to connect it to his main sound machine at work and then save it off. Might be worth trying.

Funny enough John was asking about your this evening, he thought you might still be trapped under his floorboards - whatever that means!

Davy, good to hear from you. It looks like I will have to re do the narration. The HD format suits the landscapes, and although the blends are not as good as the original version no one at the CC noticed - although Jack wasn't there ;-)

John B lent me a great Sony DAT device but it doesn't connect to a PC. He has to connect it to his main sound machine at work and then save it off. Might be worth trying.

Funny enough John was asking about your this evening, he thought you might still be trapped under his floorboards - whatever that means!

Hi Mark!

For recording voiceovers I am using Audacity and a headset with microphone

(Advance Anti-Noise NC-65 - some years old) connected directly to my laptop.

The headset is $25 in US or £22 in UK.

The setup is very good and ambient noise is cut out. I have my desktop running

beside me when recording and that is not problem.

However, I am close to deaf... :D

/Lennart

Hi Mark,

An AV like this deserves a good soundtrack/narration. It dosen't have to be an Abbey Road production,but I'm sure John B will keep you right.

If he can have your commentary saved as a wav file you can mix it in with your background music.Most soundcards on PCs/Laptops aren't great for mic recording,so this will bypass that problem.

If you want to do everything yourself,the Dat recorder should have an analogue output(headphone socket) which can be connected to your soundcard.You can then capture the recorded sound using Audition/Audacity.

Give me a shout if you need a hand.

Davy

Hi Mark,

An AV like this deserves a good soundtrack/narration. It dosen't have to be an Abbey Road production,but I'm sure John B will keep you right.

If he can have your commentary saved as a wav file you can mix it in with your background music.Most soundcards on PCs/Laptops aren't great for mic recording,so this will bypass that problem.

If you want to do everything yourself,the Dat recorder should have an analogue output(headphone socket) which can be connected to your soundcard.You can then capture the recorded sound using Audition/Audacity.

Give me a shout if you need a hand.

Davy

Thanks Davy,

I never thought of that. I was thinking of using my iTouch Voice recorder, but clearly John's DAT would offer a much higher quality. When I lost the laptop I lost not only the pte files but also the aup files and only had a early version of the mp3 final. The sound that was with the original version was all re done in wav and then cleaned in Magix Audio Cleaning lab before converting to mp3 and that is the file that is missing. Doing it again is the best approach. It means I can add some of the photos that work well in the HD landscape format, that I didn't use before. In this HC+D version some eagle eyed members at the CC noticed that I had removed the Northern Lights pics and replaced then with others.

For someone who has a regular back up approach for all my raws, I have now added a routine to zip ptes as projects and save them off to externals and the cloud.

We all look forward to seeing you soon at the CC, I am sure you must be missing the abuse and disparaging remarks we love to offer our CooperMan ;-)

Thanks Davy,

I never thought of that. I was thinking of using my iTouch Voice recorder, but clearly John's DAT would offer a much higher quality. When I lost the laptop I lost not only the pte files but also the aup files and only had a early version of the mp3 final. The sound that was with the original version was all re done in wav and then cleaned in Magix Audio Cleaning lab before converting to mp3 and that is the file that is missing. Doing it again is the best approach. It means I can add some of the photos that work well in the HD landscape format, that I didn't use before. In this HC+D version some eagle eyed members at the CC noticed that I had removed the Northern Lights pics and replaced then with others.

For someone who has a regular back up approach for all my raws, I have now added a routine to zip ptes as projects and save them off to externals and the cloud.

We all look forward to seeing you soon at the CC, I am sure you must be missing the abuse and disparaging remarks we love to offer our CooperMan ;-)

Mark,

I recorded the audio track from your latest version. Voiceover levels are way above the music track.

If you are using Audacity have a look at this clip on Youtube.http://tinyurl.com/ybhlb8l

It shows how to drop down the music levels while you are speaking.(Ducking) This way will balance things out better.

Abuse and disparaging remarks are a comfort,in that it lets me know I must be doing things right.

Davy

Mark,

I recorded the audio track from your latest version. Voiceover levels are way above the music track.

If you are using Audacity have a look at this clip on Youtube.http://tinyurl.com/ybhlb8l

It shows how to drop down the music levels while you are speaking.(Ducking) This way will balance things out better.

Abuse and disparaging remarks are a comfort,in that it lets me know I must be doing things right.

Davy

Thanks Davy.

• 9 months later...

After a recent RPS AV (Ireland) group meeting, I learned a lot. I have always been a fade in fade out sort of guy. I will probably remain so, as it suits what I like to do. But at the recent RPS AV (Ireland) group meeting, I learned some stuff. One of the things I missed from ProShw was the simple 100% to 105% zoom, so easy to do in Pro show and I never was able to work it out in PTE. A big thanks to Raymond, who showed how it is done. (I know i could have read the manual!)

The other bit was creating some text in Photoshop, discarding the background - so that it is transparent - and then saving as a ping, or png. This image can then be added (with objects and animation) - Again thanks to Raymond.

So the next step is to re record the small narration parts and add them as tracks with PTE 6.5. Again a technique demonstrated by Raymond.

http://www.markallenphotography.co.uk/markallenphotography_galleries/newnorway.exe

After a recent RPS AV (Ireland) group meeting, I learned a lot. I have always been a fade in fade out sort of guy. I will probably remain so, as it suits what I like to do. But at the recent RPS AV (Ireland) group meeting, I learned some stuff. One of the things I missed from ProShw was the simple 100% to 105% zoom, so easy to do in Pro show and I never was able to work it out in PTE. A big thanks to Raymond, who showed how it is done. (I know i could have read the manual!)

The other bit was creating some text in Photoshop, discarding the background - so that it is transparent - and then saving as a ping, or png. This image can then be added (with objects and animation) - Again thanks to Raymond.

So the next step is to re record the small narration parts and add them as tracks with PTE 6.5. Again a technique demonstrated by Raymond.

http://www.markallenphotography.co.uk/markallenphotography_galleries/newnorway.exe

============================

Mark,

It is always nice to 'visit' a place that I have not been to before, via PTE! Nice show.

I'd like to make a few comments, if I may. First, I think I would have sync'd the voiceover. I, for example, after I viewed the entire show, wanted to fast-forward to the images of the dogs and pause the show and call over my wife to see this section...she loves the huskies. However, the images paused but the voiceover continued. My second comment is about the length of the transitions. The transition period seems to be almost as long as the image is on the screen. I noticed this also with Barry's recent show. I feel I am looking at the faded-in image for too long and not enough of the 'clear' image itself, so I tend to want to look away until the transition is finished. How long do you have the transition set to? I am curious. Also, I would have put in a title slide at the beginning just before the voiceover starts. Seems to start a little abruptly without something telling me where I am about to visit.

Thanks... Gary

Thanks Ken, sadly my original pte and soundtrack were on my stolen laptop. So I have been trying to rebuild them. I think I have failed and will have to do the recordings again. Also the blends that worked in 3:2 ratio didn't work at 16:9, again more re work is required. But I am not upset, it is a welcome learning curve.