WnSoft Forums

A panning bug?

fh1805

I took the shots to make this panorama this morning. But when I Preview it, I see a noticeable jerk at the completion of the transition from slide 1 to slide 2 and again at the completion of the transition from slide 2 to slide 3.

Am I the only one to see it?

regards,

Peter

P.S. Had to use MediaFire as the file, SnowPano.zip, is 2.47MB in size. The sequence is just three slides: Black, Pano, Black built at 16:9 AR

first run there was a very slight quiver from #1 to #2 slides

2nd run was smooth all the way start to finish

Ken,

I have noticed with other shows that they sometimes run smoother on the second pass than on the first. I can only assume that the Graphics Card memory is still loaded with image data and thus the resource demand is lower the second time around.

Did you tick the mipmapping box?

Eric,

My first reaction to your comment was: Why would I want to? I associate mip-mapping as a mechanism for reducing or eliminating Moire flicker in a pan or zoom. That wasn't what I was seeing. I was seeing a noticeable "jerk" or "stutter" rather than a persistent flicker. But then I thought: What harm can it do? So I ticked it and the problem has been eliminated on my system! Marvellous!

regards,

Peter

It was smooth as silk for me

Jim,

See my reply to Ken and Eric above.

Now, not wishing to re-open old scar tissue but... when you, I and Ed were trying to resolve those problems with your club's projector, did we try turning mip-mapping on? I'm not suggesting it's a "magic bullet" but it seems it can work wonders in certain situations. Perhaps worth a try for you both?

regards,

Peter

No problems on my screen - and the powerlines seem fine too.

Den,

Thanks. I'm not sure whether Eric's comment about the lines was to do with apparent shimmer in them or more to do with them being visually intrusive in the landscape. My own view on this latter aspect is that they are there and so I have to work with them. I'm prepared to bet that they helped Photoshop do the panorama merge!

regards,

Peter

Guest Yachtsman1

Ken,

I have noticed with other shows that they sometimes run smoother on the second pass than on the first. I can only assume that the Graphics Card memory is still loaded with image data and thus the resource demand is lower the second time around.

Eric,

My first reaction to your comment was: Why would I want to? I associate mip-mapping as a mechanism for reducing or eliminating Moire flicker in a pan or zoom. That wasn't what I was seeing. I was seeing a noticeable "jerk" or "stutter" rather than a persistent flicker. But then I thought: What harm can it do? So I ticked it and the problem has been eliminated on my system! Marvellous!

regards,

Peter

The reason I suggested it was, I have a 30 second pan in my charity DVD as the credits scroll, ticking mipmapping cured jerky text & pan with no noticeable degredation of picture.

Regards Eric.

Yachtsman1.

Peter et al

i checked the mipmap boxes

improved performance

saved pte with a new name

started a streaming download at 100 kb/sec

read the thread again and had another thought

energized my maxmem - set at aggressive -- this is for system ram

http://www.analogx.com/contents/download/System/maxmem/Freeware.htm

then reopened the original pte

smooth

ken

Jim,

See my reply to Ken and Eric above.

Now, not wishing to re-open old scar tissue but... when you, I and Ed were trying to resolve those problems with your club's projector, did we try turning mip-mapping on? I'm not suggesting it's a "magic bullet" but it seems it can work wonders in certain situations. Perhaps worth a try for you both?

regards,

Peter

Yes old scars........

When this thread started I was thinking about what Ed and I had been through....

Yes it might be worthwhile trying mip-mapping on the tests again with the problematic projector.

Hi Peter, the time to worry about power lines is when they are down on the ground, and our heat and computers aren't working.

Best regards, Gayland

Den,

Thanks. I'm not sure whether Eric's comment about the lines was to do with apparent shimmer in them or more to do with them being visually intrusive in the landscape. My own view on this latter aspect is that they are there and so I have to work with them. I'm prepared to bet that they helped Photoshop do the panorama merge!

regards,

Peter

Further to my last post,

http://www.picturestoexe.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=11286&view=findpost&p=72749

ran tests again after an overnight fresh boot -- nothing other than normal system going on

the results -- same results -- so the mipmap boxes being checked or the maxmem being on produce the same reults on my system

IMHO maxmem is the easiest

ken