WnSoft Forums

WINDOWS 7 HOME PREMIUM

orizaba

Dear Fellows,

I am about to order a new computer to go on editing my videos and making my PTE slideshows. My main one, at present, is more than 5 years old (Pentium4 - 3,6 GHz - Windows XP PRO).

All my "advisors" insist that I should go to WINDOWS 7 (Home Premium) which will work well with my video editing software. Concerning PTE projects I am very much afraid to get in big trouble as I can see all problems with W7 everyday posted in PTE Forum, and I saw as well Igor's reply dated 31 Dec 2009 saying that problems were not fully solved at present and he could not fix a date to do so. And this is not a nice thing to hear...!

I must say that I am a full suporter of PTE and I don't intend to change because I don't know any better software. PTE is an amazing one, as I already said in previous mails, I am 100% happy with it! This way, I can hardly understand why PTE is not yet fully adapted to W7 and this upsets me a lot.

Please, let me know your advice: will I use W7 (and all its big advances - new hardware philosophy, etc. etc.) or will I be obliged to continue with my XP, only because of PTE?

Thanks and regards,

Jose

Jose

I am also about to move to Windows 7 and a new PC due to hardware problems on my old system and want PTE to run without problems.

There is another decision to make when doing this, 32 or 64 bit version of Windows 7.

The computing world is moving in the 64bit direction very slowly but never the less it is moving in that direction, my crystal ball will not tell me how long it will be before the 32bit operating system is redundant but it will happen. So to "future proof" a new PC should we go to the 64bit version of Windows 7? Not to mention any performance benefit.

Also which level of Windows 7, Home, Pro or Ultimate? Home has not got the XP emulator the other 2 have and this may be needed to run some older programs and may eliminate some problems with others.

I too am interested in what others think on this subject.

Hi Jose,

Don't forget that it's a two-way street. PTE must make some changes as operating systems evolve, but operating systems also must be debugged and made to work with the millions of existing software programs out there which work just fine with earlier operating systems.

The "proof" that Microsoft almost "always" releases their operating systems prematurely, then uses the public as free "beta" testers as is very evident by their release of "service packs" which are not only "security updates" but also code fixes to help quash frequent bugs.

Years ago when Win ME replaced Win 98, I modified some of my own Microsoft operating system code to reveal a Windows "splash" which stated "Welcome to Windows ME" "99,000 Bugs and Counting."

It wasn't a specious number, but indeed a real bug count generated from actual reports. It will be a while before Win 7 is debugged and everything works as expected. As is always the case, early adopters become defacto, albeit unwilling beta testers.

My recommendation would be to go ahead and order your new system, but keep the old one running just for backup. I'm sure Igor and the development team will have PTE working with Win 7 long before Win 7 is properly debugged.

Best regards,

Lin

Hi Jose,

A previous topic of some days ago also touched on the compatibility issues of Windows-7 and PTE and 64.Bit Op.Systems.

There are issues with Windows-7 and various other Programs and most of these arise from how the Microprocessor-Chips

physically address 32.Bit Programs within a 64.Bit Enviroment.

Even with 64.Bit Programs very few of these operate correctly across the full range of Manufacturers 64.Bit Processors and

I expect we have to wait for Win7-Sp1 (Service-Pak.1) for a resolution of these issues.

Here is a 'Link' to the previous Topic:-

http://www.picturestoexe.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=11275

I hope this throws more light on your understanding of these problems.

Brian.(Conflow)

Hi,

I,like many others, pondered long and hard about whether to upgrade from XP.

Eventually I made the decision to go ahead, and since then I have upgraded my desktop to Windows 7 Professional 64 bit, and my laptop to Windows 7 Home Premium 32 bit.

Since then I have used PTE with Videobuilder to make a number of DVDs for family and friends using both machines, and so far have had no problems at all. Maybe I've been lucky, but I'd be inclined to saygo ahead with your upgrade.

(The presentations tend to involve either purchased templates, or in the case of my own designs, maybe simple pan and zooms and the use of frames.

Regards,

wideangle

Hi,

I,like many others, pondered long and hard about whether to upgrade from XP.

Eventually I made the decision to go ahead, and since then I have upgraded my desktop to Windows 7 Professional 64 bit, and my laptop to Windows 7 Home Premium 32 bit.

Since then I have used PTE with Videobuilder to make a number of DVDs for family and friends using both machines, and so far have had no problems at all. Maybe I've been lucky, but I'd be inclined to saygo ahead with your upgrade.

(The presentations tend to involve either purchased templates, or in the case of my own designs, maybe simple pan and zooms and the use of frames.

Regards,

wideangle

Wideangle (and Members)

It's nice to see that you have been successful in upgrading your PC and Laptop to Windows-7 with little or no problems.

I hope I'm not being impertinent but it would be very helpful to other Forum Members and to the WnSoft Team if you could

give some details about the Machines you have upgraded, in particular the following would be most useful:-

Your Desktop PC:- What Processor is it using ? ~ and what Graphics Card is in use ? ~ and Manufacturers name if possible ?

Your Laptop PC:- What Processor is it using ? ~ and what Graphics Card is in use ? ~ and Manufacturers name if possible ?

This would identify the Machine(s) Architecture & Setup(s) and the Microsoft API's which have been proven to work with Win.7

in your circumstances and it would be extremely helpful to others to look for other Machines of similar specifications.

Hope you can help...

Brian (Conflow).

Additional Editing

I had forgotten to mention the following important facts:-

a)

If you go out and buy the full 'Microsoft Windows-7' upgrade for XP Machines it will come with 2 CD-Discs.

B)

One of the Discs will be the 32.Bit version of Windows.7 which is fully compatible with the PTE Program.

c)

The second Disc will be the 64.Bit version of Windows.7 which is not compatible with the PTE Program.

d)

If you go into a Shop and buy a New PC you will have a choice of 32.Bit Win7 PC or a 64.Bit Win7 PC but

but you will not get a choice of both installed on a New PC ~ and the above constraints will still apply.

e)

This 64.Bit incompatibility issue is further compounded with the "Microsoft Dot.Net Framework System" which

developers did not use in the earlier stages of Program development.Thats another complex story now being

addressed by Software vendors Worldwide.

Finally, if you purchase the 'Microsoft Windows-7' upgrade make sure you install the 32.Bit version and of course

you have the choice of installing the 64.Bit version at some time in the future when these issues are resolved.

B.M.K

Hi Brian and Eric,

My desktop was a new buy from Mesh Computers :

Asus P6T motherboard

Intel Core i7 950 Quad Core processor

8 GB ram

Windows 7 Professional 64 bit

ATI HD4890 Graphics

My laptop is much older, bought from Aldi stores!

I upgraded it from XP to Windows 7 Home Premium

It is a Gericom Supersonic PCI E

Intel Pentium M processor (1.73 GHz)

1 GB ram

NVidia GeForce Go 6600 graphics

Hope this is helpful.

(By the way Eric, my daughter and husband have recently moved to Thornborough, which is in your neck of the woods, so I'm having plenty of opportunities to see all that wonderful scenery that you have around you!!)

Regards,

wideangle

Wideangle,

Many thanks for the prompt reply and its most appreciated ~ indeed your answers made a lot of sense to me,viz:-

a)

The Asus PC with Intel-950 'Quad-Core' Processor will have all the Bells & Whistles pre-installed including the

"MS Dot.Net Framework" ~ Thats a nice Machine and its quite happy running with 32.Bit in the 64.Bit environment.

B)

The Laptop with the upgrade to Windows.7 running 32.Bit is a perfect compliment to the above but dont be tempted

to run the Win7 64.Bit version on it ~ Memory is too low and the Pentium-M will be pushed out of its limits.

Again thanks for the reply and I do hope this little discussion will help others.

Brian (Conflow).

According our statistics, 70% of our new customers who've purchased PicturesToExe in January still use Windows XP.

Igor / Administrators

Would it be worthwhile running a poll in a new thread here on the OS used and intended to be used in 6/12 months time by users.

What you use now

XP Vista 7-32bit 7-64bit others

What you intend to use in 6 months

XP Vista 7-32bit 7-64bit others.

Guest Yachtsman1

Hi Brian and Eric,

My desktop was a new buy from Mesh Computers :

Asus P6T motherboard

Intel Core i7 950 Quad Core processor

8 GB ram

Windows 7 Professional 64 bit

ATI HD4890 Graphics

My laptop is much older, bought from Aldi stores!

I upgraded it from XP to Windows 7 Home Premium

It is a Gericom Supersonic PCI E

Intel Pentium M processor (1.73 GHz)

1 GB ram

NVidia GeForce Go 6600 graphics

Hope this is helpful.

(By the way Eric, my daughter and husband have recently moved to Thornborough, which is in your neck of the woods, so I'm having plenty of opportunities to see all that wonderful scenery that you have around you!!)

Regards,

wideangle

Give us a call next time you are here & I'll put the kettle on. I've been looking at the Mesh cube portable computers as a possibility, could you PM the full spec' of yours.

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1

Give us a call next time you are here & I'll put the kettle on. I've been looking at the Mesh cube portable computers as a possibility, could you PM the full spec' of yours.

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1

To Igor and all above fellows,

Thanks for all your cooperation.

Indeed, I already decided and my new computer will go on working with XP PRO SP3 and this way I will not run any risk.

But... the main reason why I decided so is because I use computers mainly (99%) for video editing and PTE, and both programs run 100% OK with XP and I do not wish more speed, both run very fast with XP, depending, of course, of kind of hardware components used. I always "design" my computers, choose hardware and only order the assemble, so, in present case, I am sure results will be good as well.

By the way, concerning "audio" improvements of next PTE version anounced by Igor, I must say that NOTHING will replace with advantage my video editing software (PINNACLE LIQUID 6.10 PRO, six years old...!) which I use to prepare and edit the PTE audio files. It allows to mix and edit up to .99 audio tracks, all kind of audio files, real time audio effects, etc., etc., and it is very much precise and rigorous. Of course, I only am using it because I already have it for video editing as well, which may not be the case of most of PTE users.

Regards,

Jose

Hi everyone

I have bought a new PC running Windows 7 and have experienced the following problems; Viewing shows made on my old XP PC (which are fine on that PC & my laptop)the pans and zooms are not smooth and jerky. The graphics card is 512MB NVIDIA GEFORCE 8400GS PCI EXPRESS.cOULD THIS BE MY PROBLEM?

Also I created 5 shows with a Menu page that works fine on the old PC & Laptop but will not work on my new PC with Windows 7. Any suggestions please.

misterk

Guest Yachtsman1

Hi everyone

I have bought a new PC running Windows 7 and have experienced the following problems; Viewing shows made on my old XP PC (which are fine on that PC & my laptop)the pans and zooms are not smooth and jerky. The graphics card is 512MB NVIDIA GEFORCE 8400GS PCI EXPRESS.cOULD THIS BE MY PROBLEM?

Also I created 5 shows with a Menu page that works fine on the old PC & Laptop but will not work on my new PC with Windows 7. Any suggestions please.

misterk

Check your other posting.

Yachtsman1

misterk,

Hi everyone

misterk

Have you verified you have installed (or properly installed) the NVIDIA video card driver required for your Windows7 ? By your comments it almost seems your Windows7 OS may still be running the original windows generic display driver.

As to your Menu page slideshow not working correctly on Windows7 ... first check if your path strings within the PTE file are Full or Relative filepath strings. Relative filepath strings are best/required when using or copying to other PC users or OS.