WnSoft Forums

Natures Textures

Barry Beckham

I have been working on this slide show for months and I have been back and forth to it a hundred times. That, in itself is not a good sign for me.

I have been trying to get the right feel to the images and the manipulations and I am still not sure I have. In the end you get so wrapped up in the project that you have trouble seeing the wood from the trees. Your own judgment on whether you are producing anything others may want to see becomes clouded (I recognise this could be Self Indulgence at work?)

The only solution is to post it and see what others, (not clouded with the same creative mist) makes of it. Well, this is what I have come to ground with. Comments are welcomed and don't worry about causing any offence, you have no chance of that.

It's at the top of this page in both PC and Mac format. It is about 4:30 secs in length and around 22Mb in size. While best seen at resolution 1920*1200/1920*1080 it will play fine on all resolutions.

http://www.beckhamdigital.co.uk/freestuffdigslidesw4.htm

icon_go_top.gif bs_go_bottom.gif bm_profile.gif bm_msg_pm.gif bm_msg_email.gif bm_site.gif

I have been working on this slide show for months and I have been back and forth to it a hundred times. That, in itself is not a good sign for me.

I have been trying to get the right feel to the images and the manipulations and I am still not sure I have. In the end you get so wrapped up in the project that you have trouble seeing the wood from the trees. Your own judgment on whether you are producing anything others may want to see becomes clouded (I recognise this could be Self Indulgence at work?)

The only solution is to post it and see what others, (not clouded with the same creative mist) makes of it. Well, this is what I have come to ground with. Comments are welcomed and don't worry about causing any offence, you have no chance of that.

Barry -

Very nice. It's obvious that you've invested a lot of time and talent in the show. There are just a couple of little things for me: While trying to read the initial scrolling text, I could see on the right side some images appearing. I found that I had to choose between looking at the pictures or reading the text. I felt rushed and pulled. The second thing is that the title should read "Nature's Textues" and not "Natures Textures", that is unless I misunderstand your meaning.

Job well done.

Dave

Dave

Yes, that was the one thing I picked up myself as I watched the sequence over and over again for the past few days. You either read the text or look at the images, but I convinced myself there was just enough time to do both, but the more I watched it myself, the more doubt crept in. Your comment has confirmed my thoughts and I will have to fix it now. Thanks for the heads up on the title too, I will fix tthat at the same time.

later, changes made, the same link above will download a reworked version

Guest Yachtsman1

Hi Barry

Tried three times to download your show but keep getting a FILE CORRUPTED message on completion. Tried re-naming it but the same thing happens. The info is there in what I download 7+mb but it will not open for me. Sod's lan innit.

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1. :(

post-5560-126509235199_thumb.jpg

I have been updating the on-line file with the adjustments suggested, so it could be Murphy's law reared its head and my updating the file caused the problem

However. I have just tested the link myself and it came down OK, unzipped and played fine

Guest Yachtsman1

Hi Barry

Worked this time.

Same remarks about the opening and closing text, drew the eye from side to side which was distracting. Similar tecnique to your Ironbridge show, however for my self I would have liked the transparency effect to merge to show the featured image at 100% visibility.

The music, if you have downloaded the show titled Himalayan Gardens from the 4 I posted last night, you will see my wife likes it, it's her show.

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1

It's at the top of this page in both PC and Mac format. It is about 4:30 secs in length and around 22Mb in size. While best seen at resolution 1920*1200/1920*1080 it will play fine on all resolutions.

http://www.beckhamdigital.co.uk/freestuffdigslidesw4.htm

icon_go_top.gif bs_go_bottom.gif bm_profile.gif bm_msg_pm.gif bm_msg_email.gif bm_site.gif

Barry

What a marvellous idea and so beautifully done, though I have to admit that I, too, like Dave, found myself trying to read the text and see the pics flying in at the same time. However, I just watched it through again - no hardship there. A stunning a/v.

Maureen

Guest Yachtsman1

Eric

Not sure what you mean here

I would have liked the transparency effect to merge to show the featured image at 100% visibility.

Do you mean not have a texture on the image at some point?

Hi Barry

No the image on top of the texture to appear at the end of each sequence in whole, without the texture. Just my take, I wanted to see the images without the texture emerge.

Regards Eric.

Eric

The only problem with that is it rather messes up the whole point of the show.

Andrew

Of course your qualified to say. My grandmother has never driven a car in her life, but she knows when one is being driven badly. You don't have to be an expert to have an opinion.

Hi Barry,

I have viewed at full 1920x1200 resolution and the quality just jumps off the monitor screen.

I forced myself to read the titles and not be distracted by the pictures emerging in the title sequence. I have to admit that it was difficult (but not impossible).

Seeing them at full resolution made me wonder if those who are still hampered by lower resolution monitors get a different effect than intended due to the "mix" of background texture and normal image? In other words, is it possible that the texture needs to be faded back a little for the older, lower resolution monitors?

Just a thought!

First class show - it ended a little too soon and left me wanting more. I saw some of the rock paintings when we were out there and they are so impressive!

DaveG

DaveG

Yes, although smaller monitors will play a larger slide show OK and retain format, if any textures, filters, delicate lines or some styles on titles and credits are used, they will be lost to some degree on a smaller monitor. It's not really practical to make a show like this and then make another to reduce the effect for smaller monitors. Too much time effort and TLC goes into it.

They will have to live with it I am afraid until they get a larger monitor, which will happen in time.

Of course the show has now been changed and the small images at the start remain on screen after the opening text has gone, so viewers have the time to see them. As they were only scene setters I don't think they need to be there long.