WnSoft Forums

How to tell pte slide list is on different disk?

My PTE slide list all refers to M:\photos\etcetcetc

I had to put all those files on the N: disk. M is not available.

When I open show to work on it, PTE looks for M, can't find it. Is my only recourse to change the slide image on each of my 200 slides, or is there some way to say look here if you can't find it?

It doesn't sound as though this is possible, but if you can get the show back to the original computer with the M drive. Do a File > Backup to zip, then take that zip file to the other drive, unzip it and open the project file within the unzipped folder and all will be OK

Ralph,

If your Operating-System and Programs are on your C:\Drive then Drive M and N are Auxiliary Drives.

As you have already transfered your Files to N:Drive its a simple matter of re-naming the N:Drive to

mimic your "dud" M:Drive.

There is a way out of your problem, but it requires that you to take the Cover off your Computer then

find your "dud" M:Drive and disconnect its 4-Way Power Plug,it has Red,Black,Black,Yellow wires.

On re-booting the Computer the N:Drive will be renamed as your M:Drive ~ its the way Windows works.

But a word of caution it will also re-name everything on the N:Drive as the new M:Drive.

Make absolutely sure that you disconnect the "PC Mains Power-Plug" before you attempt the above.

Brian (Conflow).

Ralph,

You may try the following:

- Open the PTE-file with a text editor (Notepad, UltraEdit, ...), and save it under a new name.

- For this new file you may use the Replace Function of the text editor: Replace M:\ by N:\, and save the changes.

- Open the new file with PicturesToExe, and see what happens.

Regards,

Xaver

Hi Ralph

Copy the project file (Show.pte) to the drive and folder containing the image files.

Rename the original project file as a back-up.

Run the project file from this new location - this will update the file location data of the images.

Save the project file.

Move the project file back to its original location.

Run the project file - it will now find the re-located image files.

Regards, Ken

see

http://www.google.ca...b5f3810dd6b35d3

ms came out with powertoys for win95 for people whanted to tweak the system -- one of them was tweakui

i use it to enable all possible drive namong A TO Z - in my case y and are my fixed burners - when on adds a stick etc it is automatically named btween a and y

get tweakui and it may save you some problems

you may also wish to rename drives

see

http://www.google.ca/#hl=en&source=hp&q=renaming+drive+letters&aq=0&aqi=g10&aql=&oq=renaming+dr&gs_rfai=&fp=3b5f3810dd6b35d3

ken

post-16-076758800 1277802333_thumb.gif

Ken,

Your're bang on target with the Disc-Rename utility, we have used it many times before in our Workshops.

Members should Bookmark your Post as that utility can often save a premature Data-Lost of the C:Drive

when it starts acting up.

However in Ralph's case he has already lost his M:Drive and the only way to get that "de-registered" off

his System is to pull its 4-Pin Power Plug. This "de-activates" its Data-Buss ~ it becomes invisible,and

as you know the System will ratch up the N:Drive to replace the M:Drive.

Thats the usual 'Hierarchy' feature of the Windows "Auto-renaming" function which you described, and

unknown to most "dud" Drives place a terrible strain on the Processors which perpetually try to gain

access to it ~ disconnect it and have done with it !!

Brian (Conflow)

RalphA,

As you see by the comments posted ... there are several approaches to resolve your drive/path naming issue. What approach you select will be best determined by your current issue. You may need to tell us some details of old Drive N and new Drive M (fixed or remote) and how all this originally came to be this way. The more the detail you offer ... the better to help you.

Windows does have Computer Management in its Administrator Tools and offers renaming of drives/paths thru its Disk Management function. This enables a user to rename the current drive letter or path to a new or different drive letter or path. So if your issue is that you want to rename the new Drive M because the old Drive N no longer exists in your drive layout ... this Windows function will easily and quickly resolve the issue.

See attachment :

post-45-038965700 1277807811_thumb.jpg

Thank you Scorpion (aka Ken). That worked just fine. Thanks to others for the suggestions. I had left out the details about the M drive problem. It was a little more complicated than the usual.

My external drives are USB drives. I also have USB slots and slots for the various photo memory cards. One day I put a thumb drive in a USB slot and it generated an extra drive letter - the one drive had two drive letters. On the next reboot, and from then on, that phony drive became drive M and my usb drive with the photos and pte data became N. I went through a lot of effort trying various solutions trying to get rid of the phantom drive, without success. I finally gave up and accepted the fact that my data drive is now N. It wasn't that much of a problem till I tried to work on an old PTE file. Now Ken's solution has resolved that. I still had to manually re-add the music which was also on the M drive, but that was only a couple of tracks so no problem. Thanks again to all.

Hi Ralph

Copy the project file (Show.pte) to the drive and folder containing the image files.

Rename the original project file as a back-up.

Run the project file from this new location - this will update the file location data of the images.

Save the project file.

Move the project file back to its original location.

Run the project file - it will now find the re-located image files.

Regards, Ken