WnSoft Forums

Rievaulx Abbey

fh1805

I have recently realised that my copyright clearance scheme licences permit me to share my work via YouTube. So, today, I created a YouTube account and uploaded one of my AV sequences via PTE. So far everything seems to have worked OK. But now comes the acid test: making it available to the forum users and getting feedback. Here goes:

The sequence is in full HD (1920x1080)

regards,

Peter

PETER

the tansitions are a bit jerky and pixelated

have extracted the file and it is same when viewed off the hard drive

so i did it at 1080P and saved that to disk and Media Player Classic HomeCinema played it fine

nice photo's

ken

Kieron,

Thanks for those kind words.

Ken,

I agree that, if played at 360p, the transitions are jittery and pixellated; but when played at 480p or higher on my system they are much smoother.

To all readers,

The sequence was built with the expectation that it would be either digitally projected or viewed on a PC monitor. It has not been built with YouTube in mind. I don't even know whether I should do anything different when building something that might end up on YouTube. I'm not used to being at this end of the learning curve!!!

regards,

Peter

Peter

people can select what resolution they want to play it with - bottom r corner of player -- but they must realize the higher resolution the jerkier it will be until it is fully downloaded - the full size mp4 1080p show is +- 55mb

the 360 mp4 show is +- 7.2 mb

ken

Guest Yachtsman1

Hi Peter

IMHO I would have liked fewer close ups, I thought the early transitions were deliberate? I couldn't open it full screen, end title too short. Nice music.

regards Eric

Peter.

This is purely a personal thing with me, but I doubt that I am unique with these views.

I just can't be bothered with uTube.

We don't have super fast broadband here and it's just too tedious to wait and even HD shows don't seem the quality the exe files has. If I am going to watch a slide show made by a PTE enthusiast I want to see the exe and see it as they intended or I would rather not bother. I have no problem downloading large files, unzipping them and watching them when I am ready.

Barry,

Each to his own. I agree that the EXE form will always have a higher picture quality compared to a video stream of the same images. But, in my opinion, HD from YouTube comes pretty damn close!

To all readers,

For those who want to experience the sequence in full HD, full screen mode, proceed as follows:

- Right click on the YouTube screen image in post #1

- Select "Watch in YouTube"

- Pause the playback

- Reset the viewing mode from 360p to 1020p

- Drag the play slide back to the left

- If you are on a slow Internet connection, wait until the red bar has completed its journey across the screen

- Start play again and go into full screen mode (the button with four arrows pointing to the four corners)

- Enjoy it as it was meant to be seen

regards,

Peter

Guest Yachtsman1

Hi Peter

Tried again & saw the show as you produced it, fullish screen (mines 1280x1024 as you know). The close ups didn't look so close with the full view. However the transitions weren't my cup of tea and didn't appear to have consistant times. Was able to read the end credits.

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1 :ph34r:

Peter

I managed to watch it with your intructions, but its not quite the same as the Exe file.

Yachtsman

What do you mean when you say transitions weren't my cup of tea and didn't appear to have consistant times, I am not sure I understand what you mean here?

Hello Peter, I just watched your beautiful presentation! I doubled clicked it and went straight to youtube and then chose and watched it in HD and full screen. The quality was quite good but not like one downloaded from Wnsoft which is understandable. My broadband here is quite fast and I watched it on my MacPro single Quad 2.93 and the new 24 inch Cinema monitor.

Guest Yachtsman1

Yachtsman

What do you mean when you say transitions weren't my cup of tea and didn't appear to have consistant times, I am not sure I understand what you mean here?

To describe the tansitions I saw was a shimmer betwee pictures, some as short as a second which reminded me of moire. Itried to get a screen shot sample but the shot froze the shimmer so it is difficult to see..

Yachtsman1

post-5560-014338300 1279023670_thumb.jpg

Hi Peter,

Have watched your excellent presentation several times now both your embeded version in small screen and full screen on youtube and I do find the transitions are not reproduced as I'm sure you intended. Oddly, I used Gotomypc to get onto my home pc from a remote computer and when I tried to do some work on PTE and play it back, I didn't get any transitions at all! Obviously something goes wrong in the transmission.

I love Allergri's Miserere. I have used the full version a couple of times on slideshows for personal viewing and never fail to choke up.

Mickp.

Guest Yachtsman1

Hi Mick

If you like Peter's music choice I suppose you know of the works of Giovanni Pierluigi da Palestrina? BBc TV did a religeous music series last year, one programme featured Palestrina. The programmes are being repeated on BBC2 at present, the first was last week so the Palestrina programme is still to come. If you haven't heard of him type his name into Amazon MP3 downloads & you can listen to samples.

Yachtsman1

Hi Mick

If you like Peter's music choice I suppose you know of the works of Giovanni Pierluigi da Palestrina? BBc TV did a religeous music series last year, one programme featured Palestrina. The programmes are being repeated on BBC2 at present, the first was last week so the Palestrina programme is still to come. If you haven't heard of him type his name into Amazon MP3 downloads & you can listen to samples.

Yachtsman1

Thanks, I will definitely keep my eye open for it. Have booked for the Proms again this year and our last concert is Monteverdi - Vespers of 1610. Sorry Peter for hijacking your thread.

Mickp

Bill, Mick and Gayland,

Thanks for your feedback.

Bill,

I think YouTube can be another way of making sequences available to the Mac users - provided that, as you did, appropriate allowances are made for the inevitable slight loss of quality compared to a native executable.

Mick,

Within the constraints of a video stream (as opposed to a native executable) I feel that the sequence, if played back at the full HD resolution (1080p), is very close indeed to the original executable. It will never have the crispness of images or smoothness of transitions that the executable will have, but I have to say that I am very impressed with the overall quality of YouTube's HD streaming video.

Gayland,

Just a tip for you: instead of using the "Reply" button, why not just scroll down a little further and key your reply directly into the "Fast Reply" area? I reserve "Reply" for when I want to quote a previous post either in part or in its entirety - which is rarely.

As for Rubik's Cube: it took about 120 man hours and three false starts and several blind alleys before I got it all mastered. But I learned such a vast amount about PTE's animation features by doing it - and that was the real reason that I did it: to learn..

regards,

Peter

...However the transitions weren't my cup of tea and didn't appear to have consistant times...

Eric,

I'm like Barry on this point. I don't understand exactly what you are trying to convey.

Of course the transitions don't have consistant times; I didn't want them all to be the same. I wanted a varied pace for the sequence.

regards,

Peter

Guest Yachtsman1

Hi Peter

If it's the transitions you are referring to, on my viewing the pictures distorted into a shimmer and the following one shimmered open. one in particular seemed to jump with a 1 second transition length. Maybe it's how my system displays the show. Before you ask I did download it from You Tube & viewed it full size, so it wasn't my poor broadband speed. :unsure:

I also vary slide times to suit the show, but usually fix the transition times. I only use subsecond times when trying to depict movement.

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1

...Maybe it's how my system displays the show. Before you ask I did download it from You Tube & viewed it full size, so it wasn't my poor broadband speed...

Eric,

But did you raise the playback quality from the 360p default to the full 1080p HD level? If you did then it is probably down to the combination of your system and whatever software you used to do the playback after you had downloaded it. I find it hard to believe it will be your hardware since you've just spent money on a purpose-built system. I use VideoLan Media Player to playback the videofiles that PTE creates. It is freeware that was recommended on this forum some years ago by Lin Evans.

There are four 1-second transitions (slides 4, 9, 14 and 18). Of the rest, all are longer than 3.5 seconds with the exception of slides 19 and 20, which have 2-second long transitions.

regards

Peter

Peter,

I, too, was not impressed with the quality of transitions.

I use my laptop to preview my 1920x1080 shows (EXEs) from my desktop computer and the laptop copes with everything I throw at it so I don't think it is resources.

Yet the Abbey show stutters along from one image to the next. It doesn't make any difference if the show is played in real time or allowed to fully download before playing - the result is the same.

The images look great at full res but the transitions leave much to be desired (on my laptop).

I must confess a little confusion with regard to your comments re VideoLan MP - are you suggesting that the file can be stored on my computer and played on software other than the uTube Player? How is that done?

DG

I am not a lover of on screen videos and I cannot really understand the fascination of them for the high resolution slide shows we make. Even uTube HD isn't a patch on what was originally made. Maybe it's just me, but what is the point of spending all that money on equipment, spending hours manipulating images, producing a slide show your proud of and then deliberately presenting it within a format that is poor. Having said all that I suppose technology needs to start somewhere and sometime in the future we will see a completely different result, but until then, it just doesn't cut it for me.

Dave

2 ways

extract it from the temp internet folder

or

use firefox browser and use the plugin -download helper and have it covert it from flv to the required format - avi mp4 etc.. That is how i got my readings of size etc above.

ken

Guest Yachtsman1

Hi Peter

Yes I followed your instructions after cocking it up the first time & got the same results. Maybe download was the wrong term, it should probably have been refresh. :unsure:

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1.