WnSoft Forums

ON HURTIGRUTEN - IN SEARCH OF THE LIGHT

On www.beechbrook.com/pte - once again thanks to Bill for hosting.

The Hurtigruten (Coastal Express) sails daily from Bergen in Norway to Kirkenes close to the Russian Border, making over 30 stops on the way, carrying passengers and freight. We did the north-south journey at the beginning of February this year and this was once famously described as the 'world's most beautiful voyage'. Few will argue with that.

Despite the very poor quality of the Northern Lights images (taken hand-held for 30 secs from the top deck of a moving and pitching ship in sub-zero temperatures) I have decided to include them as, for a great many people, the chance of seeing this natural phenomena is the main reason they undertake this trip in the winter months.

A special 'thank you' must go to Jose (Orizaba) for his kindness and patience, and for pushing me that little bit further into PTE.

Maureen

Hi Maureen,

There are insufficient superlatives in the English language to describe the beauty of your presentation. The photography, presentation “and” subject matter are breathtaking to say the least.

Thank you for letting us enjoy this incredible journey with you!

Best regards,

Lin

MAUREEN

another keeper -- dont complain about the lights, just remember what we discussed off list - that lady drove and drove before she got them !

and in regards to the transitions - you will soon be known as "THE SMOOTHIE LADY" :rolleyes:

great show

ken

It's already been said above, but this really is a very enjoyable presentation in all respects with the Aurora being the icing on the cake!

Took me right back to our trip last year, except that Aurora didn't bother coming out to play!

Hi Maureen,

Just watched your show and was spellbound by it. Your images are of such high quality, and the flow of the show and the choice of the music made for one of the best travel slide shows I have seen on this forum. Thanks for posting it.

Bert

Absolutely superb! As you know I did the same trip, but you clearly got much better weather than I did in December 2007. On my trip the temp went from picture postcard pretty, snow and ice, at -10C to +5C and what the Captain claimed was like a tropical storm, that washed away all the snow and ice in a day!

I really enjoyed the show, so much so, that I immediately watched it again! Wonderful work, well done!

Maureen -

I never tire from viewing coastal images. As with most of your shows, the end came too soon, you had me in a zone. :rolleyes:

Great flow to the sequence along with the smooth animation and transitions.

Great job,

Greg

Maureen,

Once again a superb show. Your eye for beauty and colour comes out in your show and the smooth flow mixed with the music

makes it a true winner. This will be added to my "Maureen" folder as a keeper along with all your other beauties.

Colin

My grateful thanks to ALL of you who have commented though I have to say that a week ago I nearly threw it out. Anyway, that's another story.

Davy - now why did I know you would approve of the music?! Wish I had your creative mind (although you already know that). I wouldn't have to travel so far.

Mark - We did the same trip at exactly the same time (February) just three years ago and enjoyed it so much we had to repeat it. I have included some pics from then as we too had some pretty bad weather on this last trip. In fact, after the first couple of days, the decks were covered in snow and ice right until we got back into Bergen. But what the heck - that's what it's about. The aurora pics were taken in 2008, too, as we had a very poor showing this time. I have kept your a/v and was looking at it recently, and your comment about the beautiful skies is absolutely bang on.

Bert - will reply to your question (email) separately.

Thanks again, everyone.

Maureen

Hi Maureen,

I wanted to see your show a few times before commenting. Fantastic scenery and amazing villages all brilliantly photographed as only you can. Interesting to see the pans and zooms in this show which is not your normal style. I think they may have been slightly overdone as some shots were stand alone shots and the pans did not add much to those shots. Also the longer dwell time for the pans and zooms emphasised what I thought was the lack of dwell time on some of the mountain shots. I get the impression that you are embarrassed by how good your mountain photography is and you want to cut us off from it before we have taken it in. Or maybe you just want us to come back for more! Yes please!

Hi Maureen,

I wanted to see your show a few times before commenting. Fantastic scenery and amazing villages all brilliantly photographed as only you can. Interesting to see the pans and zooms in this show which is not your normal style. I think they may have been slightly overdone as some shots were stand alone shots and the pans did not add much to those shots. Also the longer dwell time for the pans and zooms emphasised what I thought was the lack of dwell time on some of the mountain shots. I get the impression that you are embarrassed by how good your mountain photography is and you want to cut us off from it before we have taken it in. Or maybe you just want us to come back for more! Yes please!

HI Mick - interesting comments for which I'm grateful.

Apart from one shot in my Scottish a/v (late last year) I had never done pan and zoom before so it has been a bit of a learning curve for me. Yes, I have moved on slightly from my normal style as I had become too settled in my comfort zone, as you know. Hopefully, as I try to progress, I will become more selective as to which images I decide to move in any future show, but for the moment, I am reasonably happy.

Maureen

Take a location that has dramatic lighting and colourful buildings

then let loose Maureen there and WOW you have another wonderful AV.

The good choice of music added to the atmosphere and the map at the start

was appreciated to define the location.

A minor criticism, like Mick, I do not like slow movement of pictures.

I feel it is an unnecessary distraction that doesn’t add to the sequence.

However when there is a purpose, as in the opening pan across the town,

I do not have a problem. Many thanks for sharing your experience.

Regards, Roger.

RMS wrote; A minor criticism, like Mick, I do not like slow movement of pictures.

I feel it is an unnecessary distraction that doesn’t add to the sequence.

Each to their own but I love a bit of movement in scenic shots. To me, it's more like being there than just looking at a picture.

Greg

Maureen; I was told, before I went, that December was the time to go. But once on board, the staff said no, the best time to see the Northern Lights is in late February, when it is at it's coldest. In December, when I went, the lights may be there but you can't see them because of the clouds. Clearly the staff that are on the ship know best, so I always recommend photographers in search of the Northern Lights, to go in February.

However; I know of at least one guy, who has waited for sun spot info and then searched for a cancellation. Went on the cruise and saw nothing. Best laid plans, and all that!

My wife and I were lucky to see them, but the best shows were from on board the ship. With the ship roiling about on the water, and the vibration from the deck, my tripod was useless!

Maureen; I was told, before I went, that December was the time to go. But once on board, the staff said no, the best time to see the Northern Lights is in late February, when it is at it's coldest. In December, when I went, the lights may be there but you can't see them because of the clouds. Clearly the staff that are on the ship know best, so I always recommend photographers in search of the Northern Lights, to go in February.

However; I know of at least one guy, who has waited for sun spot info and then searched for a cancellation. Went on the cruise and saw nothing. Best laid plans, and all that!

My wife and I were lucky to see them, but the best shows were from on board the ship. With the ship roiling about on the water, and the vibration from the deck, my tripod was useless!

Mark. there were a few folk on the deck trying to use a tripod. I just tried to wedge myself against some of the infrastructure and hoped for the best. We went mainly for the snow and there again, we were told by the Norwegians to go in February. We got it both times. Next time we go, if we are lucky enough, it'll have to be the autumn.

Maureen

Maureen,

Stunning work as always. You make us wait between your shows sometimes, each of us knowing that your next one will be a keeper for sure. You never disappoint !! Bravo once more!!!

Bill :)

Thanks, Bill. Unfortunately, the next big trip isn't for several months but hope to produce something before then.

Maureen

There is a diversity, a perfect balance in the choice of your excellent photos.

A real pleasure during eight minutes !

I liked the Ken Burns effects but may be they could be lighter.

I found the music a little bit depressing for my taste.

At least at the beginning of the show, I couldn't prevent myself to think that I wouldn't like to live there.

Too bad you disabled manual control of the show.

I am curious to know why you made such choice.

Anyway, thank you very much for sharing this excellent slideshow. :)

There is a diversity, a perfect balance in the choice of your excellent photos.

A real pleasure during eight minutes !

I liked the Ken Burns effects but may be they could be lighter.

I found the music a little bit depressing for my taste.

At least at the beginning of the show, I couldn't prevent myself to think that I wouldn't like to live there.

Too bad you disabled manual control of the show.

I am curious to know why you made such choice.

Anyway, thank you very much for sharing this excellent slideshow. :)

Thanks, Dom, for your comments.

Maureen