WnSoft Forums

Problem with Forum: View New Content

goddi

Greetings,

Recently, I seem to be having a problem with the Forum not showing me only the new content when I clicked on View New Content. For example, I had my Profile / My Settings set to "Show me all content since my last visit". It repeatedly showed not only new content but many of the previously read content. This happened many times. Then I changed my Profile / My Settings to "Show me all content that I have not read" and it showed content from today (3/21) all the way back to 3/16. I then switched it back to the "...last visit" and it then correctly showed only the new content. I usually check for new posting several times a day and only want to see new postings.

I expect to get only the content I have not read regardless of either choice because I read each and every posting. But the Forum keeps giving me posting that I have read more than once. Is this a problem with the WnSoft program??? Or is there something I am not aware of to get correctly show only the new and unread postings??? I have switched back to "...I have not read" but it is still shows me previously read content.

Thanks... Gary

Works OK here.

I sometimes get similar symptoms and then realize I'm not logged in.

DG

[/quote

=================

Dave,

I am always logged in. I just did a "View New Content" and it gave me 7 postings. I have seen 6 of the 7 before (several times), dating back to 3/16/11.

Really is annoying. Sometimes it works OK, most other times not.

Thanks... Gary

Gary,

Dave's suggestion to "Mark all items..." is how I operate, and provided I do that at the end of each session I have no problems. If I forget to end a forum visit by marking all items then I see them again next day (and that then serves as a reminder to me to do the mark action after I've read the new batch).

It may be a bug in the forum software but it is possible to implement a simple workflow that keeps the situation under control.

regards,

Peter

Gary,

Dave's suggestion to "Mark all items..." is how I operate, and provided I do that at the end of each session I have no problems. If I forget to end a forum visit by marking all items then I see them again next day (and that then serves as a reminder to me to do the mark action after I've read the new batch).

It may be a bug in the forum software but it is possible to implement a simple workflow that keeps the situation under control.

regards,

Peter

=====================

Dave and Peter,

I have seen the 'Mark all items... ' a few times and have used it. But it does not show up on every screen, I think. I will try to pay attention to do that after I finish reading all postings. It does seem to be a bug to have to do that extra step. It does not seem to be tagging the postings that have been read.

If you read only half of the new postings, you don't want to 'Mark all items...' yet, so they, I guess, will reappear until you have read all the postings and then did the 'Mark all items....'. :angry:

Thanks for the reminder.

Gary

Today we've re-installed the forum and moved to another server. Please try how "View New Content" works now?

============================

Igor,

It still does not do what I expect it to do. Maybe I am just not understanding the settings. I just tried it out again.

If I have my Profile set to "Show me all content that I have not read," it seems to dump all the postings that I have already read and shows only new unread postings. So this makes sense.

However, when I switch my Profile to "Show me all content since my last visit," and then click on View New Content, all of the previously read postings return and also shows any new postings. This happens even if I close down Firefox and reopen the Forum. I would think it should, again, dump all the postings I have already read since I closed my 'last visit' to the Forum. What constitutes a 'last visit'?

If I am interpreting this incorrectly, please let me know.

(This all started when I was out of town for a week and came back and wanted to read all of the unread postings. When I clicked on View New Content, no postings showed up and I had to go back to each Forum topic to pick out any unread postings.)

Thanks... Gary

Added later: I noticed that when I had the setting at "Show me all content since my last visit," there was a notice at the top of the page that said "There are 5 new entries since Yesterday, 10:05 PM". It was at about 10:15 AM this morning. Not sure where the Forum's time of "10:05 PM" came from. It was certainly not my 'last visit'.

Igor,

This morning, when doing "View New Content", I was shown three topics whose last posts I had read yesterday. The first truly "New Content" was timed at about 9:30. So, something is still not quite right.

However, as you have made changes to the forum settings between my last visit yesterday and my first visit today, perhaps we should wait and let things settle down. I'll monitor the situation over the next few days and try and identify the precise nature of the symptoms of this problem.

regards,

Peter

Igor,

I'm back in the forum for my second visit today. Under "My Settings" I have the "View New Content Method" = "Show me all content that I have not read". I have not changed this value for many months. Clicking on "View New Content" showed me several topics including: "DROPBOX" in which the most recent post was one from user = "David P" timed at 12:23PM yesterday. I read this post yesterday and again this morning during my first visit of today. On that basis, this post in the "DROPBOX" topic is most definitely not "New Content". The forum software does not appear to be operating in the way in which I, and others, believe it should be.

If I now repeat the click on "View New Content" after reading each item, that item disappears off the displayed list of topics. So, within this logged in session, "View New Content" appears to work correctly. But the status of "This topic has been read" does not seem to be propagated correctly from one logged in session to the next.

regards,

Peter

Gary,

Peter,

We've explored this issue. It's a normal behaviour of current version of the forum.

Developers of Invision forum engine has announced improved view of new content in the next version 3.2.0. For more details, please read here:

http://community.invisionpower.com/blog/1174/entry-5858-ipboard-320-view-new-content-and-topic-marking/

We'll install this future version once it released.

There is temporal solution. Please log off after using of the forum. Or untick the option "Rememeber me" before logging on. It solves this problem.

Gary,

Peter,

We've explored this issue. It's a normal behaviour of current version of the forum.

Developers of Invision forum engine has announced improved view of new content in the next version 3.2.0. For more details, please read here:

http://community.inv...-topic-marking/

We'll install this future version once it released.

There is temporal solution. Please log off after using of the forum. Or untick the option "Rememeber me" before logging on. It solves this problem.

=======================

Peter and Igor,

Thanks for confirming this glitch. Since I discovered the "View New Content" some time ago, it has really helped in being able to read all new postings much more efficiently. It will be great when the fix is in to perfect it.

Sincerely, Gary