WnSoft Forums

How to Modify Previous Slideshow?

pbear-1

I have version 6.0 and previously created a manual-advance slideshow on bird photography including several hundred photos which I had labelled and framed. I would now like to bring up that slideshow in P2E and add a couple of dozen new images but I can't seem to bring up the original slideshow. What do I need to do to accomplish this?

I have version 6.0 and previously created a manual-advance slideshow on bird photography including several hundred photos which I had labelled and framed. I would now like to bring up that slideshow in P2E and add a couple of dozen new images but I can't seem to bring up the original slideshow. What do I need to do to accomplish this?

Are you by any chance trying to open the EXE file?

You have to open the original .pte file in the software.

If the EXE was called BIRDS.exe try looking for BIRDS.pte.

DG

Guest Yachtsman1

Assuming you did as Ken always says "Jesus Saves"???

Your show should be saved with all it's pictures etc in one folder, see save 1. Open the folder with the pictures & there should be a "Humming Bird" icon, see save 2. Click the humming bird icon & your show should open, see save 3.

Yachtsman1,

post-5560-0-15558200-1303313967_thumb.jp

post-5560-0-81790000-1303313987_thumb.jp

post-5560-0-63513600-1303314015_thumb.jp

When I create a slideshow I first click the "save" tab and that gives me a pte file with the hummingbird icon. I then create the exe file which gives me the slideshow itself with all of the titles, borders, etc. Now when I click on the pte file icon I get a "pictures not found" response and a full listing of all of the blank image boxes along the bottom with a blue stripe through them saying "image not found" along with the name of the image.

Guest Yachtsman1

Hi Joseph

sounds like you comitted the cardinal sin of PTE, all your images should be in the same folder as the PTE icon you created the show from, sorry but it's back to sqare 1. Next time Create a folder & copy the PTE icon into it. Copy all your pictures into the same folder, I usually create two sub folders, sound & pictures. Once they are in there they won't be lost & you can add or delete as much as you want, within the folder. When you have got the show together, do a SAVE AS & give it its own name, such as Birds 1, & save in the picture folder, this creats it's own PTE Icon. When you change the show, if you want to keep the original, do another save as after the alterations & name it Birds 2 or whatever. Make sure the new slides or sounds go into the original folder/s.

Yachtsman1,

Yikes! I thought when I hit the Save tab I was saving the images as they appeared in the show with all of the titles, etc. Thank you for the info; from here on I'll know better but my current show is so large that I think I will simply give the program as it was assembled last year and not try to update it with more recent images. Lesson learned!

This issue seems to crop up all too often in the forum, and there are usually helpful answers forthcoming, describing a variety of methods of working.

My approach is simple.

EVERY TIME YOU CREATE A NEW PTE SHOW, go to File -> Create Backup in Zip.

This collects together in a new zipped folder all the PTE components AND a copy of the slides involved. There's your backup copy.

Simple innit!

Regards,

wideangle

Perhaps someone can explain to me why BACKUP IN ZIP is always recommended?

I find it far easier to Save a TEMPLATE which does exactly the same thing and obviates the need for UNZIPPING.

Whichever you choose the advice is good.

BUT NOT AS GOOD ADVICE as bringing all images etc together in one folder for the project. Even if it means having duplicate JPEGs.

DG

Thanks to all who have been helping out here. I will definitely plan to Create Backup in Zip. Now comes the uncomfortable part as it seems like a kindergarten level question but here goes. Yachtsman1 set up a very nice set of directions but how do I go about copying the hummingbird icon to past it into the folder, i.e., where is the icon that I can copy? How do I copy the images with their headings as they appear along the bottom of the P2E screen (the ones I have selected from those in the vertical folder and processed)? Is the folder I create done outside P2E as when I make any usual folder or am I to do something inside P2E. I think I'm getting closer but I am afraid I still need a boost.

Guest Yachtsman1

Thanks to all who have been helping out here. I will definitely plan to Create Backup in Zip. Now comes the uncomfortable part as it seems like a kindergarten level question but here goes. Yachtsman1 set up a very nice set of directions but how do I go about copying the hummingbird icon to past it into the folder, i.e., where is the icon that I can copy? How do I copy the images with their headings as they appear along the bottom of the P2E screen (the ones I have selected from those in the vertical folder and processed)? Is the folder I create done outside P2E as when I make any usual folder or am I to do something inside P2E. I think I'm getting closer but I am afraid I still need a boost.

Hi Josephm, I think you need to read the PTE manual, then come back with any queries. your questions lead me to believe you haven't read the manual. As far as copying icons or pictures, this is basic computing savvy & not really a topic for the forum. Read the PTE manual & your picture editing software manual.

Yachtsman1.

A Template will do everything that Backup in Zip does. It gathers all of the files into one folder which you designate. It can also be used to provide a starting platform for a new show without setting up Project Options.

It will transfer to another machine, maintain relationships etc. without having to be unzipped to use again.

I use it on my own setup when a show is "finished" and I want to "archive" it.

If I wanted to send a completed show on a disc to a friend in Australia I'd send a Template.

The ONLY use for BIZ that I have found is for e-mailing or transfering via an Internet Drop Box.

It's no big deal and it's just a personal thing - I just wondered why others use BIZ when (to me) Templates are so much more convenient.

DG

I just wondered why others use BIZ when (to me) Templates are so much more convenient.

The advantage I see with "Backup with ZIP" is that the file is saved on the location I want it to be.

And the file has a date and hour in the name, ex.: Project1_Apr22-2011_10-14-14

Can be of use as a record file.

Anyway, about the date and hour, the template file that is stored in "PicturesToExe\Templates" has also this information in the Windows explorer.

Maybe Igor could merge those two function as one.

Greetings,

Cor

Hi Cor,

Re: The location - this is pre-determined, when saving as a TEMPLATE, by your settings in MANAGE TEMPLATES.

By clicking on Save As Template it does its thing and you know where to look for it because you told it where to save.

If you want to ZIP it for sending somewhere the Windows Zip facility does that more or less instantly.

To me that's the best of both worlds.

DG

Having looked at it more carefully, it seems one of those things that are much the same. You get more or less the same result.

I can't recall if save to zip was something we used before templates where as versatile as they now are and we are creatures of habit. If something works I (an I guess others) don't carry on looking.

Bit like the fact I never use Adjustment layers in Photoshop for my own work, having found a way that works for me, you get stuck in the groove.

I agree with that.

One thing occured to me.

If you save BIZ and then want to access the archived project at some time, you have to Unzip and create a second folder - twice the file size for the same project.

The Project Template allows direct access without the need for a second (more or less) duplicate folder.

For transfering to another person's computer via disc or Internet - just Zip up the Template.

DG

Yes, but storage isn't an issue any more, you get given a 500 gig external drive with a new laptop for example.

I don't bother saving a backup in zip any more, I just save the whole file structure I used to create the slide show, because that will contain all my layered files too. If I wanted to remake or tweak a show I would definately want those. Also, I have found that If your trying to help someone via email, explaining back up in zip is probably a little easier.

In fact looking at what I have stored on my internal drive E and backed up on another internal drive F, I think I will dedicate a whole external drive to this stuff soon. Its building up fast

I havn't thought of this before, but the template option would be a good idea to set your own defaults. Just create one blank slide and select all your standard settings, transition, transition length, resolution etc etc. . It would speed up the start process of the next show and make sure you don't forget any of your favourite settings.

Ah, just spotted that you can set it as a default ;)

That's what I meant by: " It can also be used to provide a starting platform for a new show without setting up Project Options".

But you can only have one default.

You could have one Template for 1920x1080.

One Template for 1920x1200.

Oh, and one Template for 1024x768 (with a max file size of 20Mb).

DG