WnSoft Forums

PNG format for Video

Boogie

Now we are getting into using video with PTE V7, is it possible to edit a video to play with a transparent background similar to *.png format in a still photo.

Recording using a "Green screen" comes to mind, but is that for the high end studios and software?

Video is a new world to me and I imagine a lot of other PTE users!

Boogie

Before going down that road try inserting the video in a "Mask".

If the subject of the video is "static" positionally, you could create a mask which cuts out a lot of the extraneous background.

Worth a try?

DG

P.S. Just tried it and it works OK. The size and position of the mask(s) can be varied by using keyframes to follow the "action".

It might not be exactly what you are looking for but it's an option.

DG

Before going down that road try inserting the video in a "Mask".

If the subject of the video is "static" positionally, you could create a mask which cuts out a lot of the extraneous background.

Worth a try?

DG

P.S. Just tried it and it works OK. The size and position of the mask(s) can be varied by using keyframes to follow the "action".

It might not be exactly what you are looking for but it's an option.

DG

Thanks for the suggestion Dave - I think I understand your mask treatment. I have in mind a video clip of persons running or birds flying across a separate still image background or layer (completely different to the original video background)? The mask would be a moving "halo" around the above examples. I can foresee limitations but I will experiment. The creation of a png file with Photoshop and selections are relatively easy with a plain background!

Boogie

You may search the Internet for transparent videos (videos with an alpha channel), and you will find tutorials on YouTube how to generate them (e.g. using Adobe After Effects). Then the question arises, if the video player in PTE (FFMpeg) will be in the position to respect this alpha channel. I made a test with a flash video with transparent background (downloaded from totalwebvideo.com) which did not work with PTE. I could see the video, but the background was black.

Regards,

Xaver

FFMpeg library supports transparent video in FLV format. We will implement playback of 32-bit video clips in following version(s).

Thanks Igor - Its seems as though my initial requirement for a video with a transparent background would not have worked with PTE.

It is a marvellous when Igor and his colleagues respond so quickly with the developement of video in the PTE program

I have a lot of learning to do with this new facility!!

Boogie

Hi Boogie,

Until Igor has this sorted out in a future version, there are other viable work-arounds for achieving what you are thinking about. Since PTE already supports animated gif format and since there are a number of software programs which can convert video to animated gif, if the subjects do not require more than 256 colors, it is relatively easy to do short versions via the animated gif approach.

Many see animated gif format as a rather simplistic and non-realistic animation. This is probably because of the many web gif which are of more a cartoon-type orientation. However, it is possible with the right backdrop to extract very realistic frames, which when made into sequences via gif animation, are as realistic as other video formats. In addition, PTE already allows the user to vary the gif animation speed so that there is some serious power for using this format.

If you want to see an example, download my link below which uses a combination of video, animated gif and still constructs. The lightning is video superimposed over a still image using masking techniques, the rain and water ripple effects on the cube are animated gif - the wolves in motion on one cube face is video - the eagle flying across the screen in the last sequence is an animated gif on top of a video and still frame ......

http://www.learntoma...o/wolfstorm.zip (about 39 meg zipped exe in pc format)

Best regards,

Lin

Thanks for the suggestion Dave - I think I understand your mask treatment. I have in mind a video clip of persons running or birds flying across a separate still image background or layer (completely different to the original video background)? The mask would be a moving "halo" around the above examples. I can foresee limitations but I will experiment. The creation of a png file with Photoshop and selections are relatively easy with a plain background!

Boogie

Hi Boogie,

Until Igor has this sorted out in a future version, there are other viable work-arounds for achieving what you are thinking about. Since PTE already supports animated gif format and since there are a number of software programs which can convert video to animated gif, if the subjects do not require more than 256 colors, it is relatively easy to do short versions via the animated gif approach.

Many see animated gif format as a rather simplistic and non-realistic animation. This is probably because of the many web gif which are of more a cartoon-type orientation. However, it is possible with the right backdrop to extract very realistic frames, which when made into sequences via gif animation, are as realistic as other video formats. In addition, PTE already allows the user to vary the gif animation speed so that there is some serious power for using this format.

If you want to see an example, download my link below which uses a combination of video, animated gif and still constructs. The lightning is video superimposed over a still image using masking techniques, the rain and water ripple effects on the cube are animated gif - the wolves in motion on one cube face is video - the eagle flying across the screen in the last sequence is an animated gif on top of a video and still frame ......

http://www.learntoma...o/wolfstorm.zip (about 39 meg zipped exe in pc format)

Best regards,

Lin

Amazing Lin!!

Can you post the link(s) to the programs that can turn a video to animated GIF?

Thanks

Boogie

Here's a couple: one free, one cheap....

http://www.evanolds....ogifsimple.html

http://video-to-gif....k-software.com/

Also, once you convert it, you could use various software such as ImageReady (found with Photoshop) to remove backgrounds frame by frame so that you end up essentially with the same type of animation as you might with a chroma key subtraction except you won't have sound.

and a couple tutorials about converting video to animated gifs:

http://www.makeuseof...ws-movie-maker/

http://www.wikihow.c...a-Gif-Animation

Best regards,

Lin

Amazing Lin!!

Can you post the link(s) to the programs that can turn a video to animated GIF?

Thanks

Boogie

Hi Boogie,

The only present way to control sound directly in a video is to mute it or use the navigation bar to manually adjust volume. The work-around (which may or may not be practical depending on the video) is to mute the sound in the video but extract the video sound to an MP3 where you can then insert it and use the full envelope features to adjust it. Of course if the video sound is such that there is precise synchronization between say a "speaker" and the spoken word, then this raises other problems of timings. On the other hand if no such "precise" synchronization is necessary, it's easy enough to either copy or extract the video sound, save it as an MP3 and deal with it that way.

Igor has said that in future versions, he will implement more sophisticated audio features for video sound.

Best regards,

Lin

Thanks Lin

It will go a bit quiet now while I research that lot!!!

In the meantime, have you found a way of adjusting the volume of a video soundtrack within PTE (not just mute it)?

Boogie