WnSoft Forums

Size of Sound Files in Exe's

Igor

I have raised something like this before and I wonder if it is something you are able to consider at some stage, if its practical of course

I just made a Tutorial using PTE, which comes out at 27Mb. Then I wanted to make a short demo of the whole thing and edited the sound file to end after one minute, instead of nine minutes. After removing all the surplus images, the resulting file was still 15Mb. Far too large for a quick demo to download from the Internet. I had to take the sound file into Audacity to edit it and then the 15Mb Exe file reduced to 2.7Mb. I appreciate what is happening here, but it would be nice if the project file retained the full sound for editing, but the exe didn't

PTE members, please don't reply with lots of work arounds. :(

Hi Barry,

I suspect Igor may not easily understand "exactly" what you are getting at. Let me try to paraphrase it.

You would like to see PTE have the ability to clip off then save a portion of the full sound track. Did I get this right? You are saying that you greatly reduced the number of slides, but that the sound track was, of course, the original size which greatly affected the exe size even though the slide portion was greatly reduced? . Even though PTE, using the envelope, can stop sound at any place, it doesn't actually "edit" the sound track but simply mutes it as desired?

So what you are suggesting or asking about is whether in a future version PTE can actually "edit" the sound track for the exe file yet "save" the full sound track in the PTE file? If I've got this wrong, please explain exactly what you would like to see.

Best regards,

Lin

Hi Barry,

I suspect Igor may not easily understand "exactly" what you are getting at. Let me try to paraphrase it.

You would like to see PTE have the ability to clip off then save a portion of the full sound track. Did I get this right? You are saying that you greatly reduced the number of slides, but that the sound track was, of course, the original size which greatly affected the exe size even though the slide portion was greatly reduced? . Even though PTE, using the envelope, can stop sound at any place, it doesn't actually "edit" the sound track but simply mutes it as desired?

So what you are suggesting or asking about is whether in a future version PTE can actually "edit" the sound track for the exe file yet "save" the full sound track in the PTE file? If I've got this wrong, please explain exactly what you would like to see.

Best regards,

Lin

I would like to support Barry's idea, but I feel I should express Lin's comment differently.

I don't believe the PTE file actually "saves" the whole sound file - it simply saves the name and location (path) of the audio file. (If there are cached files involved, I may be wrong, but I hope not!)

So I believe you don't actually want the audio file "edited" (which implies altering the stored file) - you just want the relevant portion stored in the exe file, not the whole original sound file.

I would like to support Barry's idea, but I feel I should express Lin's comment differently.

I don't believe the PTE file actually "saves" the whole sound file - it simply saves the name and location (path) of the audio file. (If there are cached files involved, I may be wrong, but I hope not!)

So I believe you don't actually want the audio file "edited" (which implies altering the stored file) - you just want the relevant portion stored in the exe file, not the whole original sound file.

Typically, there is more than one sound file in the game. So, a nice option (at least for the Exe) would be to mix and render the current soundtrack, together with an appropriate compression.

Regards,

Xaver