WnSoft Forums

New Layout for Main Window

jkb

Can I suggest a new layout for the main window, which combines both the Slide & Timeline View.

post-5670-0-73098900-1318708978_thumb.jp

When making a sequence I spend an awful lot of time going back & forth between the Slide List & Timeline. It would be really helpful to see both at once.

Also now that the Slide/Timeline Button(s) have been moved over to the right it is not as easy to switch views. The original button in v6.5 & prior was in a convenient place roughly in the centre of the screen. Also it was only one button so you could leave the Mouse over it & just click. Now you have to keep moving.

I know you can press F6 & for those of us used to computers that is ok. But for newcomers who can only type with one finger :rolleyes: & have to keep letting go of the mouse to use the keyboard it is much more cumbersome.

This new layout has the advantage of being able to see everything at once.

You can quickly use the Slides to move images or add new ones. And also use the Timeline to adjust durations etc.

I would also suggest that the Slide duration (bottom right of each slide) is set to the actual screen time so that it is consistent with the view below.

As the images may not line up with the times below, could they be automatically scrolled? Say keeping the current image/time central.

And something I forgot to include in the picture above. PLEASE bring back the buttons for Fullscreen view of File List & Slide List

Jill

Sounds OK if you have a large monitor, but some of us haven't & some use laptops.

I presume it would be an optional view, so those who don't like or need it would simply not choose it.

It looks pretty good to me. As long as the central slide coincides with the middle of the timeline, there would I suppose be a need to be able to scale the timeline. Not a problem for the Wnsoft programmers, surely?

Ken T (APLman)

Jill's "prototype" shows just one waveform. PTE now offers us multi-track sound files. Is there any advantage in being able to see each track as a separate waveform? If so, how might this be accommodated without filling up the screen?

Peter

Yes we now have a multitrack waveform, BUT the current Timeline only shows the combined waveform.

I was basing my new layout on that. (to keep things simple to reprogram for now)

I work with a 1024x768 monitor (two actually but that is because I usually have so many things open at once) :) PTE, Photoshop & Cooledit for my soundtrack. I am constantly switching back & forth between them all when making a sequence. And no I don't have a fast pc it is now about 6 years old.

There should be room to display both slides & combined waveform, but would mean that the Preview Window would be a bit smaller. Currently all the 'panes' of the main window are resizable & I often do this while working to get a better view of the part I need.

If the Preview window could be made as a separate dockable window, it would enable it to be moved out of the way if required.

Also the ability to switch (minimise) slides/Timeline as required to save space would help.

Jill

The layout shown above is not what I would like to see. Of course, it would be fine to see the timeline and thumbnails in parallel. But of course, the thumbnails should be shown within the corresponding time range.

Just a word on parallel tracks. I hope that some time PTE will not only offer parallel audio tracks, but also parallel image tracks similar to Wings Platinum or m.objects.

Regards,

Xaver