WnSoft Forums

AVG 2012

Antbrewer

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello, all,

I can imagine your frustrations as you are forced to deal with erratic false positives from your anti-virus software. There have been no such issues for me using MS Security Essentials and Windows 7. This is a free alternative to AVG.

Good luck,

David

I am now back home in a very cold and wet UK sitting at my laptop. I have just run a full scan and update.(The same data as Ken has posted this morning.)

NO trojans or any threats picked up during scan and I have played two short Exe files with nothing untoward.....

Still a little cautious but certainly a very good home coming at this stage.

Fingers crossed.

Anthony

Anthony,

Keep your fingers crossed mate! AVG is still not working for me because I am getting the same problems, even after updating.

It seems that AVG are not getting it sorted and it is probably time for me to ditch it and move over to Microsoft Security Essentials.

What do you guys reckon?

Ron.

Anthony,

Keep your fingers crossed mate! AVG is still not working for me because I am getting the same problems, even after updating.

It seems that AVG are not getting it sorted and it is probably time for me to ditch it and move over to Microsoft Security Essentials.

What do you guys reckon?

Ron.

I went over to MSE some time ago but it does not solve the problem that some people who may want to download my shows will assume that my files and PTE in general are unsafe. What worries me is that Igor's company's reputation is at stake but he either seems to be doing little about it(two post that I can remember)or is not keeping us in the loop.

Ronnie

what happens if ms e's all of a sudden wipes out all your exe's

with avg at least you know where you stand -- i sent you the 2 shows made with ver 4~ years ago to keep as a test if needed - if you have ms e's you could not even get them again from mediafire - and they are long gone from Beechbrook - and we could not do a file transfer with skype

back to my "hall and oates" shows cool.gif

ken

Ken,

Please forgive me - I don't understand "WIPE THEM OUT"?

When using AVG I had some alerts. I was aware of the "problem" of them being "false positives" so I clicked on the "X" top right of the alert and the alert box went away.

I still could not open the EXE but it was not "Wiped Out" - it remained where it was until the "problem" was fixed. It did not go into quarantine or disappear forever. If it were a GENUINE threat it would only be harmful if played and AVG would not allow that.

Am I missing something?

DG

Contented MSE user :rolleyes:.

well i had a whole page written explaining it but the pict to exe site suddenly became unavailable and it was lost - dont have the time now to write it again - -and possibly lose it again

ken

I think there was a problem with the web this morning affecting a lot of sites.

If I am posting a long or important message, I usually write it in Word and then copy and paste. As I have MSE I would be interested to know what might be the problem with it, if you have a few moments.

Guest Yachtsman1

well i had a whole page written explaining it but the pict to exe site suddenly became unavailable and it was lost - dont have the time now to write it again - -and possibly lose it again

ken

Jesus Saves B)

Yachtsman1

Guest Yachtsman1

I think there was a problem with the web this morning affecting a lot of sites.

If I am posting a long or important message, I usually write it in Word and then copy and paste. As I have MSE I would be interested to know what might be the problem with it, if you have a few moments.

Hi Mick

I ditched AVG two weeks ago, installed MSE, no problems yet.

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1.

Wednesday, December 14, 2011

YES ERIC, ET AL IF ONE IS GOING ON THE PULPIT YOU SHOULD DO IT OFF FORUM -- BUT I WAS NOT HAVING ANY PROBLEMS UP UNTIL I LOST MY SERMON -- I WAS WATCHING A HALL AND OATES STREAMING SHOW WITH NARY A DROPOUT - DOING MY ROUTINE MAILING ETC WITH NO PROBLEM, THEN CHECKED THE FORUM AND DAVE QUESTIONED MY TERMINOLOGY WIPE OUT

DAVE

http://www.picturestoexe.com/forums/index.php?/topic/13749-avg-2012/page__view__findpost__p__91127

SOME BACKGROUND -- PRESENT SYSTEMS

xp system [3 pyhsical drives each partioned - so 6 drives + 3 externals]

I have at the present time on my xp system in the pte folder on my g drive, 60.4 gb of exes

-- mostly other peoples shows

- on my d drive 18.2 gb of my own shows and likely more scattered over all drives

- i STILL have most of my original shows when i got into this- i still have Igor's original letter accepting my money - iused to put them on a cd and take them around town to show people what was available

on my new win7 64 bit i have 36.5 gb in the pte folder - a lot of dupes from the xp system -- it has only been existance since this April

WIPE OUT =

One thanksgiving many moons ago the was a cry on the forum - virus - i read the thread and oh things were bad --- at this point i was not too familiar with avg's workings and I DID NOT HAVE THINGS SET PROPER

so in my ignorance i started a TOTAL SYSTEM SCAN -- bad move - by the time i got it stopped i had wiped out 30 to 40 exes all mine - they were in the vault but when restored they would not play - i was sweating - finally come to my senses and realized i still had all the folders - i could recreate all the shows if needed - it would just take time

AVG has come a long ways since - the gui is basically self explnatory and when i went from different versions my existing settings stay -- i heard about AVG originally from a windows forum i have belonged since win 95 days - i belong to several -- it is the only way one can keep up on the system - read and listen to what people are saying -- Norton got a bad rap years ago - but never avg - lot of questions but nothing like we are having- as i say it has come a long ways -- in the past i have used McAfee and Computer associates both paid versions - have used fprot free - years ago it was the elite of the bunch

l finaly settled on AVG free version

MS have have had many updates since and quite few mistakes that affect the operating system

Back in ie5 beta days MS and crew decided to divest the browser from all hooks from the leader browser at the time -Netscape -- well they did such a great job that their own pages - ms news etc would not work - nor would have the pages on the web - quicktime and all the little things they for got about were gone bye bye -- the web page designers were up a creek and thehowling started -- Apple came to the rescue with a few fixes but Ms had to go back and they gave us more options to setup the browser and things started working again -- but the natives were restless and new browsers started appearing -- there was talk for quite a while that MS was coming out with a free version of AV and now it is here -- how many things have they forgot -- they forgot about early editions of pte - but so have AVG - my original key is picked up by avg but what would essentials pickup -- would i lose a bunch more things again?

i guess that should explain to Dave what i meant by wipe out -- been there done that

now i will go back to watching a time of my life i missed -- a streeming compilation of 48 shows - start at #1 to understand that they are just like pte show makers that experiment -- you know who yo are :)

the fade - transitions and piece together music the same and they have fun

http://www.livefromdarylshouse.com/

http://www.livefromdarylshouse.com/welcome.html

http://www.livefromdarylshouse.com/archive.html

scroll down to show #1 and enjoy

ken

There's something that I don't understand here.

As some of you may know, I'm in charge of the French 'DiaporamaForum' dedicated to slideshows, most of them being made with PTE. For safety reasons, I keep at home on an external hard drive a copy of the slideshows posted on this forum.

As of now, I have 2901 EXE files, corresponding to 55 GB on this external hard drive. These files are dated from Feb. 2002 to Dec. 2011 (i.e. more than 9 years!) and 90% of them have been produced with PTE.

None of these files have ever been found infected, although obviously the PCs, the operating system, and the antivirus have been changed several times during this period... and the whole system has been scanned everyday for virus during these 9+ years ! The only files that have been found virus-infected are the two referred to by Ken some days ago; they may well be genuinely virus-infected.

I repeat that 2901 exe files are reported as virus-free, and more than 90% of them are PTE-produced shows, the time-span being more than 9 years, corresponding to several PTE versions.

I got my overnight issue from my winhome forum and there has been an upset on a lady's system from avg -- in the thread this link was given

http://www.pcmag.com...,2388652,00.asp

The Best Free Antivirus Software -

July 19, 2011

not mentioned in th pcmag list is

http://www.avira.com/en/avira-free-antivirus

which had high marks by one of the more knowledgeable on the forum

any body that wants a copy of the winhome list email me and i will send

ken

I have just downloaded Barry's new AV 'Dawn' and it played straight through with no threat warnings from my free AVG on the laptop.

I will try it on my desktop later which is the paid version and await results as last night that version blocked a couple of Exe files again much to my annoyance.

Clearly not resolved yet.

Anthony

No Problem with MSE allowing it through and scan comes up clean. Assuming this is an AVG specific problem again, is it not time that we saw (or heard of) some more active participation from Igor before his company's reputation is hit further.